Info and help needed from experts
kac527
Posted 6/20/2008 12:24 PM (#6640)
Subject: Info and help needed from experts

New user

Hello,
Wow, I just happened to stumble upon this web site (I actually believe I was led here) and I'm so excited about what I've read so far. I need some advice from those of you who have gone through this program and have come out on the other side. I'm currently working for a non-profit foundation as an educational consultant. My position is very rewarding because I'm helping kids and teachers around the country but it's no longer my passion. It pays very well but I'm not fulfilled nor am I as motivated as I used to be. My question is this. How realistic is it for me to have the grueling job that I have and expect to have time to complete the course work through UMS? Can I do this at my leisure as I find the time? How long does it typically take to finish all of the coursework, on average? And once I have my degrees what is the likelihood that I'll be able to go out there and make a real living in this wonderful field and continue to support myself? I would love to hear from those of you who have made this a reality and please share exactly how you did it.

Love and light,
Kelly
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rose
Posted 6/20/2008 2:28 PM (#6643 - in reply to #6640)
Subject: RE: Info and help needed from experts

Student

Some people become medical Doctors and lose their license due to malpractice, while others succeed quite nicely, others practice law and makes agregious mistakes and are lucky to be flipping burgers at the end of it all and still others succeed quite nicely.

Many people in this country go to school and work full time some take 20 plus years to complete the work some finish it in far less time than that. Some people have never finished college and have made millions upon millions. Go figure, right?

Whatever your endeaver in life it's really a personal experience at best. You will make what you will of any skill you obtain. How much time you choose to make for your studies along with your current work is really up to you. There are no definite or exact answers as this is not an exact science. The questions you have asked are best answered by self reflection and self discovery.

I will say this, "every journey begins with the first step". Again that decision is up to you. Do you take the first step or not?

Hope this helps you out some.

Love and Peace to you.....may you find your path....
Nefertiti
Posted 6/20/2008 2:46 PM (#6644 - in reply to #6640)

It took me about 13 months. i didn't spend every waking moment on it either, i just took my time and tried to do one or two lessons a week. It's just reading and listening to the meditations, sometimes there was more to do, but I just let it flow at it's own pace. There is no force here to do it fast, so when you are ready, you move on. I think the hardest part was writing the dissertation, that took some time, which is why it took another month. All in all, it was the quickest year of study in my life. I learned a lot and loved it the entire time.

Just go at your own pace!

kac527
Posted 6/20/2008 6:33 PM (#6647 - in reply to #6640)

New user

Hmmm... maybe I wasn't making myself clear. I don't need to make millions and millions of dollars, just enough to replace my income so I can support myself.
And now that I'm typing this I'm thinking that it's stupid for me to even be worrying about that. I feel so drawn to these courses and also feel like this is what I really want to do with my life and if it's meant to be then everything will work out just fine, right?
Nefertiti, thanks for sharing your experience. Everyone who's gone through this program seems so happy and content.

Love and light,
Kelly
mruppert
Posted 6/21/2008 12:08 AM (#6651 - in reply to #6640)

Hi Book of Kells,
     An Australian televison producer repackaged a concept that had been around for years, and is making +millions  USD this  year...with a bestseller on the NYTimes booklist. She didn't take any courses here.
     My point is this...there is always a gullible market that will buy a message or concept if it is packaged right and presented at the right time.
      For me, and I have been chastised for this, UMS is not about the means and ways to make money...it is a whole other thing.
You may well do what you desire with the knowledge that you have gained, but the purpose of the knowledge is defintiley not pecuniary in interest.
       Perhaps, if you would tell what your ambitions are, I might be able to give a better answer to your question.

Peace,
Marty and Luck, Popp, and Siss
Supernatural3
Posted 6/22/2008 3:27 AM (#6663 - in reply to #6640)

PhD Alumni

Hello,
I have to agree with both Nef and Marty, too. I completed my courses in a little over a year, but I had already been studying metaphysics with a less reputable school prior. I felt the knowledge I obtained here was meant to change my way of life. It's personal for me. It was very thorough and I learned so much, even though I thought I knew it all. HA HA HA j/k

I did however find my career, with-in the metaphysical realm, which is hypnotherapy. So I went firther with my studies to focus on ONE aspect to generate an income. Then I ended up being able to generate some income with two things.

1. Hypnosis
2. Marriages

Other options for me:
  • Tarot Readings (Have prior experience)
  • Practitioner for spiritual counseling, Life coaching
  • Reiki Healing / Teaching
  • Writing (I was able to offer my thesis as an elective course here)
  • I am sure there are plenty more, I am just going blank... it's 3:30am. lol
I was thankfully able to find my nich with hypnosis. Weddings are just a side  job for extra mula, and I enjoy sharing such special days with people, in union with God. It's very special to me.

I would say that Metaphysics, is a way of life.... the rest comes easy. When you find your calling, it's like life takes you on a smooth scenic rout, which is more enjoyable than the fastlane (traditional programming).

I hope this gives a little more insight from another grad student....
Blessings

mruppert
Posted 6/24/2008 3:59 AM (#6679 - in reply to #6640)

Hello FiveTwoSeventhheaven and the Jillster and Neff:
     Doc J: Please correct me if I am wrong or stepping on your toes!
     Fivetuu...the Doc brought something to her studies  that many people do not have....in that she has a natural talent or proclivity towards certain things. Her studies here only enhanced and made real the person she all ready was.....it just put her in the right venue. And, it empowered her to seek that which she desires.
       The practice that Jill has, and the lucrativeness that it bears is all JILL, no one else and no organization else. She didn't get a template from UMS for success, she did it on her own...with the aid of the knowledge gained from UMS.
        She also did not gain happiness or fulfillment in life from UMS...that, seems to me, comes from strong family values, a supportive structure, and a cohesive unit of people in good and bad times alike.
         If I am wrong, I am sure that the Doc will ceertainly say so!

Peace,
Marty and little tigers, Luck, Popp and Siss

kac527
Posted 6/24/2008 9:31 PM (#6689 - in reply to #6640)

New user

Thank you Marty and Jill,
Points all well taken. I understand and agree that it is "we" who make things happen... I probably should have given a little bit more background on me so that it was understood where I was coming from in my initial query. I am blessed with the job/career I currentlt have. Good hours, good money, great vacation time, etc... but alas, my heart is not happy. I feel like an imposter who is "just faking" it and I hate that! I'm sure there are lots of people out there in the working world who just plug away at what they do because they're comfortable. That's the easy road, right? Well I don't want the easy road, I'm willing to take a risk in order to fulfill my passions and purpose. I want a blissful, purposeful life. I want to be able to say, "I LOVE what I do and I can't believe that I get paid for it!" I think you could say that Jill, am I correct? So, I suppose I'm searching at this point because I'm the kind of person who usually knows exactly what she wants and just goes for it... but I'm not there right now. I know in my heart of hearts that I need a change but I have no clue which way to go. Today the thought struck me to write some affirmations in regards to this desire of mine. It was divine intervention that sent me the message so I will certainly heed it and expect GREAT things.
appreciate your posts and will covet any more advice you send my way.

blessings to you
Kelly
Supernatural3
Posted 6/26/2008 11:30 AM (#6703 - in reply to #6640)

PhD Alumni

Wow Marty, Thank you so much for your reading. I guess i never looked at myself that way, but i am the one who took initiative.

Word of caution: Don't give up the income just yet, gradually change. Sudden change will lead to hard times. Unless it's by force. Each time I changed career's, i was forced, due to freak of nature things. One career was cosmetology (salon owner), I had to change, because i had allergic reactions that created pain and skin problems. If I didn't stop, I would have eventually lost my fingers. So I went into permanent cosmetics and did that for now 15 years.... then developed essential tremors. HEY, want a zig zag tat? i can do it..... lol.  I knew i would have to change and I had already implemented metaphysics into my life since 1990. I already did tarot readings and had my own paranormal investigation group since 1993. I had psychic events happen to me so strongly, it was like a slap in the face to purposely wake me up. It was like my spirit guides were paid bonus points to cut through to me. (no lie).

I wanted reputable training, something more.... I found UMS shortly after they opened. I think it was fate. The tremors forced yet another career change and hypnosis was on my mind. LOL So, I specialized in that. I found a really good school for hypnosis and pulled it together with my metaphysical lifestyle. NO, i am not making money in it YET..... i only opened for business less than 6 months ago. I will.... i feel it.

I enrolled in more school, because i thought i wanted to be a psychologist. But that started to pull me away from metaphysics. After taking 3 psychology classes in yet more college, i have decided that I do not want to continue and appreciate what I have NOW! Sometimes more, is just a waste, when you have what you love already. I thought being able to collect insurance was my whole basis on wanting to school more. I was sooooo wrong.

I have everything i ever needed or wanted, and am now focusing fully on just metaphysics, family and hypnosis. Oh yeah, i cannot leave out my pet ghosts and org. LOL

So, it was a lesson learned, the expensive way. I most likely wasted about 8k of money on on classes and books, but it's knowledge I know now, and prefer the spiritual side. Freud, Piaget, Fowler, Erickson...... it's all opinions anyway. I trust my own.

I found with psychology, NOTHING is fact..... just like the spirit life. Your internal feelings will never lead you wrong.

Thank you Marty for your kind words.....
I love you all!

mruppert
Posted 6/28/2008 3:19 AM (#6739 - in reply to #6640)

"I found with psychology, NOTHING is fact."
-Thanks to Jill
     Hi Kellsy....you see, when someone says something like this, which I totally agree with, I have to think that this person makes a lot of sense, and speaks from experience.
     I don't think along the same lines with Jilly on some things, but she has my respect for what her viewpoints are. This is why I think highly of her.
     In your studies, heed her advice, she's been there, done that, got the shirt and got the hat!

Peace,
Marty and Hatless Catless's Luckylee, Poppyhead and SissyGirl
instinctual
Posted 6/29/2008 1:01 PM (#6752 - in reply to #6640)

PhD Alumni

Hello peoples!

I am enjoying this thread! I find myself nodding my head in vigorous agreement with all of you on many different levels. This I have shared with some on here- but it is worth repeating because of the context of this topic. After being an RN for 20+ years, working in many settings, I hung up my stethoscope forever. I was jaded, burnt out, angry, tired. What kept me glued was my family, my friends and my spiritual quest. Reiki, meditation, automatic writing, angel therapy, studying world religions and being the ultimate Sagittarius truth seeker are things that are in my DNA. It propelled me daily, and ultimately is what led me to my coursework at UMS. I left a $100K /year job in nurse management to embark upon the most important and lucrative job of my life- My Soul's Journey. I see young and eager nurses entering the profession, so excited about making "so much money". Well, They are trading their souls for a paycheck in my humble opinion.. Finding peace in their posessions on their days off, only to go back and work another grueling and thankless 12 hour shift. I too, was one of them. I completely relate to your feelings of dispassion and unfulfillment, Kac.
Newsflash- I am monetarily broke and spiritually and divinely wealthy. My fulfillment runs so deep.
Because of the money situation, I only do 2 courses per month. However that allows me to really absorb the material and do further side research. I am half way ( practically ) through the bachelor portion, and with my spare time I am working on my Master's thesis. Kac, there are many ways to earn a comfortable living- you will be divinely guided. It is the nature of life! To find something that really connects to you on your deepest levels of being, and sharing it with others!!! Magical! I believe that you were led here also. When you recognize that something is not your passion, it is a blessing. May I also suggest revisiting these threads often. You learn things about yourself that you may not want to know....LOL!!!
Welcome, and blessings to you!
mruppert
Posted 7/1/2008 12:36 AM (#6760 - in reply to #6752)

Lori-lei:
     Both of my sisters are Nurses, graduates of CUA School of Nursing, with BS degrees. My youngest sister is now a management Nurse for an HMO, ( I think she is a VP in the company ) and hasn't stuck a needle in an arm for many years.
      My oldest sister works at an old age health care "facility" and does "nursing" as she was trained to do. For many years, she proudly wore her nursy uniform and her cap, but she went the way of the modern day garb.
      Lorsy, I can tell you stories of my two sisters, who were at the same university for a few years....there is an age difference...but I am proudest of my older sister, as she is truly a nurse..while my younger sister is an adminstrator....with her MBA and seeking constantly to be named a higher level of authority...like she is not satisfied with being a VP?
      As sad as fate might be, my older sister is now diagnosed with MS, and that is devastating to her career...but we shall not dwell on that. My younger sister is smitten by a constant love of men who are much older than she is...and that, in and of itself, causes much turmoil in her life.
      Lorryload, you are blessed with another way of seeing things....neither of my sisters entertain my ideas of spirituality or enlightenment or mysticism.  They think me quite eccentric and would well believe that I am totally off my rocker if I didn't constantly send them proofs of things that they simply choose not to believe in.
     But, I have felt new hope, in that Anne Arundal Medical Center is now offering healing alternatives...via REIKI masters and energetic "touch" healers......AAMC is a major hospital in a county that borders where I live in Maryland, USA...I am in Howard County, Anne Arundal County is very close to me.
     There is a lot that I want to say about various kinds of healing, but I don't have the time to write. If you are on the edge of your seat, email me and I will write back, otherwise check the forums and I will write as I can...which these days ain't too often....too many things going on....BUT...
     Laury, I think you have made a "right" decision but, perhaps, for a "wrong"  reason. In any regard and respect, know that I wish and will you all success!

Peace Profound,
Marty and Sleepyheads...Luck, Popp, and Sisssssssss
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/4/2008 7:25 AM (#6895 - in reply to #6760)

PhD Alumni

In 'The Phantom Tollbooth' by Norton Juster, the little boy hero, Milo, who was bored with everything until he was given said Tollbooth, is told by the Princesses Rhyme and Reason that we often learn more by doing the wrong thing for the right reason than the right thing for the wrong reason (or possibly the other way around!) ....

Still catching up with posts since being away ... so a brief response ...

I came to UMS via a struggled, circuitous route, yet realized on stumbling upon it that it was what I was looking for for many years ...a unique integration of healing, spirituality, study and transformation. I have combined study with a full-time job, a public office, and family .... slight disappoinment on completion is that my employers seem ambivalent about it - but that is up to them.

I wait to see what the universe will bring me ... so far it has brought me some wonderful friendships & warmth - thanks everyone on the Board and elsewhere x
Rose
Posted 7/4/2008 12:49 PM (#6900 - in reply to #6895)

Student

Lovely posts! Glad to see you back again Paul. You know we seem to have some regulars including mruppert, instinctual, Tracy, and a couple of others I'm missing here but it's really nice to read everyone interacting. Someone else I notice that's missing nothingeverything...is he still around?

Love and Peace to everyone!