Stonehenge....some new found history
Rose
Posted 5/30/2008 12:46 PM (#6184)
Subject: Stonehenge....some new found history

Student

I found this information interesting about Stonehenge. And I stop and wonder....hmmm.....maybe it was something as simple as, "we need a windblock when we are visiting our burial grounds, or maybe the people didn't have roads, road signs and directions and used these very large stones to mark their burial grounds so that everyone from even far away or in bad weather could see where to go....just thoughts. Sometimes I wonder if we don't place too much complexity in looking for the reasons "why". When in such a much simpler time things and acts were done more out of necessity than anything else. Food for thought.

For the first time, cremation burials that were dug up in the 1950s were radiocarbon dated by the team. The oldest cremation burial was a small group of bones and teeth that date from 3030 to 2880 B.C., which was about the time the first ditch-and-bank monument was built. Other remains they found included an adult dated to 2930 to 2870 B.C., as well as the remains of a 25-year-old woman that dates to 2570 to 2340 B.C., around the time the first arrangements of large sarsen stones appeared at Stonehenge. It is estimated that up to 240 people are buried at Stonehenge, all of whom were cremated. The researchers hypothesize that everyone buried there is from a single elite family, perhaps a ruling dynasty. Parker Pearson added, "I don't think it was the common people getting buried at Stonehenge--it was clearly a special place at that time. One has to assume anyone buried there had some good credentials." The research, which was financially supported by the National Geographic Society, is published in an article titled "Stonehenge" in the June 2008 issue of National Geographic magazine.

Love and Peace to all of you....
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/31/2008 7:05 PM (#6241 - in reply to #6184)
Subject: RE: Stonehenge....some new found history

PhD Alumni

Some UK research has had it too that Stonehenge was a Moon rather than a Sun temple.

I think personally, with mainly my own spiritual lodestone as the guide, that the Megaliths are of deeply ancient and multiple causation provenance, with global and pre-[Western recorded history] dimensions.
mruppert
Posted 6/1/2008 9:36 PM (#6272 - in reply to #6184)

Hello Rosey and PJay:
     I have a small, but nagging, fear that NatGeo is not representing research as it truly is. Do not think that I have anything against NatGeo, I have been an associate member for many years....and (as luck would have it)  worked at  1800 M Street NW, Washington, DC, very close to NatGeo headquarters at 16th and M Streets NW. I was able to "drop in" during lunchtime at will!
     What disturbed me, and many, was the recent "Gospel of Judas"  article, exhibit and telly programme.
     Please see the article "The Betrayal of Judas" by Thomas Bartlett in the Chronicle of Higher Education, May 30, 2008.
I think this will get you there: http://chronicle.com/free/v54/i38/38b00601.htm 
If not, google it.
     Being an alum of The Catholic University, I am familiar with some of the people mentioned in the article, though I do not know any of them personally.
     If we have to draw a line in the sand, I side with Prof. April DeConick (Rice University), who has stated that there are some very serious problems with the NatGeo funded translation of the Gospel. "Problems" which are either egregious errors or "directed" misinformation.
     My belief ( and I am NOT a biblical scholar, but familiar with much of what is discussed, particularly Gnostic Sects ) is that the word "daimon" is indeed "demon" and that the reference to 13 is a reference to the 13th realm, ruled by Ialdaboath, a demon, himself.
      All in all, it would seem that NatGeo had a marketing plan in mind, that subverted scholarship in favor of lucre. And, it is true, that NatGeo now recognizes an alternative translation, but that came well after the "Good Judas" programme and exhibit.
      For an organization, whose history and "brand" is one of acccuracy in reporting, to be even remotely responsible for such an affair, is a bit disheartening.
      Unfortunately, it also tends to have one question the bases of any other assertions that NatGeo makes.
      In truth, we will NEVER know what Stonehenge, whether it be the henge or the big rocks that we call Stonehenge were for. What we can say is that what we see today was done for a reason. The reason had to have a great significance to the people that did it.
     I am sure that what didn't happen is that some villagers said "Hey, it's a slow day in the fields, lets go to Wales and drag some big rocks here and arrange them in a circle.....Yeah, and lets put some on the top of some others....Some say it is a astronomical computer; a place of ceremonial stagings for ancient religion; even a place for landing flying saucers. All of which are quite possible, and some probable.
     Nevertheless, Stonehenge is what it is.....a living representation of what "we" did in the past, whose meaning is lost to "us". But, it constantly reminds us that there is mystery and the mystical in our thoroughly modern world, and it  challenges us to find it!

Peace to you all,
Marty and Druidian Cats, my familiars, Lucky, Poppy and Sissy
sunflower
Posted 6/4/2008 3:04 AM (#6353 - in reply to #6241)

Elite Veteran

as you know muppet,i am from wales,a land of much spirituality,a place of beuty,and i am proud to be welsh.No disrespect,but i think stonehenge was just a simplemaybe deliberate act of putting great rocks there,and some decided there was a mystical reason, i don,t,then thats just my opinion,fire away if you wish.love and hugs iris xxx

i think like the bible,there is just a grain of truth in all that is read from the past.
Rose
Posted 6/4/2008 8:35 AM (#6355 - in reply to #6272)

Student

Mruppert, this is the problem when there are agendas to be met, when there's a great deal of money to be lost or gained. That's why we have so much slighted research on our hands now and unfortunately commerce and the pursuit of it makes bigger liars of us all.

If we were to go back to the very beginning and you were given the village rule how would you sort out our natural resources? I was thinking of this the other day. I would make sure every family had their needs met and that those that wanted to work and had skills would indeed work.

Today I look around and see the unrealistic hoops that people must jump through just to survive and its disheartening. We are plagued with a work force that lacks good work ethics. I ask myself why? Why are employers finding it hard to fill positions?

Then I realize that they want those who will pass the tests not do the job. And that's quite different, isn't it? Because we know that everyone who is capable of passing tests does not necessarily have the ability to roll up their sleeves and go to work.

Well Mruppert, these are the thoughts that you've stirred up with your prognosis of what NatGeo has been up too. And what you stated is not surprising given that every organization alive and thriving today is subject to prostituting itself out just to make sure its in the black on its bottomline.

Love and Peace to you Mruppert.
Paul Joseph
Posted 6/5/2008 3:10 PM (#6386 - in reply to #6184)

PhD Alumni

Stones vibrate with Eternity. They speak to us. As do grains of sand. Each one. Each individual sand on each individual beach on every beach in the world. Stones may appear, temporarily, to be slightly bigger, to us. Any inability to hear or detect their message(s) reflects only the stage of our own individual stage of our own learning. No blame. No hate. No forgiveness necessary. Nothing to forgive, just learning. How hard, and yet how easy, the Message.

Even the stones, pebbles and bits of grit at our feet and between our toes.

Merlin merely elevated (ha!) the Game.

Namaste.
Rose
Posted 6/5/2008 9:31 PM (#6390 - in reply to #6184)

Student

How relaxing to read this Paul,

Love and Peace to you, glad to see you're around.
Paul Joseph
Posted 6/6/2008 4:05 AM (#6400 - in reply to #6390)

PhD Alumni

Thanks Rose; I am in and out at present ...

Blessings
mruppert
Posted 6/9/2008 2:24 AM (#6490 - in reply to #6184)

Heeelllloooo:
     Sunfun....
          You must know that the reason why I am so drawn to what you say is that you are from Wales. I would give anything  if I could be in Lampeter....it is where I always wanted to be.....UWales.....my lectures on religious experience would knock you off your seat, and make you pull your socks up!
      Rosepetal....
            We are manipulated by media every single moment of our lives....there is no reason to think that "trusted" resources don't do the same as any others. Look at textbooks used in courses.....my history has changed over the years....same events, but very different interpretations, with very different outcomes. Roseyposey, you can never know what "really " happened, as even "eyewitnesses" tell very different stories, all having seen the same event.The best we can ever hope for is that we get some approximation of the truth, but it will always and forever be biased, because that is what we are.....biased and prejudicial!
     Peej:
          You are far more sensitive to things than most....and I agree with your sensitivity to the respect that those very stones do "talk." I agree that there are those who can "feel" what they say.....unfortunately those that can are miniscule in our populance, and the sensitivity that they have diminishes over time and breeding. "Gypsies" or "Travelers" or "Roma" don't speak the crazy language that they speak because they are into a global world vision...quite the contrary...they keep everything very close to the chest.....and they predict the future, and heal using a cabbage, and put the "malochio" curse on people precisely because they are such a closed society. Paul, the "tinkers" and the "zhegeny" are all the same family. It doesn't matter that one branch went to Ireland and the UK, and the others hung around the Balkan states........it doesn't even matter what their origins were..most people believe it to be Romania, but that is dead wrong.....more likely India....Romania is the likely choice because of similarity of name "roma" v Rumania, aka Roumania, whose name is Romania, the seat of the Holy Roman Empire, formerly Dacia.
But media all tells us that gypsies have origins in Romania, so we believe this to be true! But, it ain't  true, not atoll, not atoll.

So, I will say that the purpose of Stonehenge was to provide a platform for landing flying saucers.....and I wish you all would tell me why I am wrong in this belief!

Peace and Love,
Marty and Bronze Age Cats, Luckster, Poppyhead and Sissyphant
Paul Joseph
Posted 6/9/2008 7:10 AM (#6500 - in reply to #6184)

PhD Alumni

Thanks Marty - would those be flying saucers from outer or inner space ?
Rose
Posted 6/10/2008 12:12 PM (#6525 - in reply to #6490)

Student

Mruppert, yes I agree with much of what you say. We may not get the precise truth as written or reported but can we still get the truth...by deductive reasoning many truths have been extracted. By psychic ability many truths have been uncovered.

Now I wonder, has a psychic ever gone to stonehenge? Is there one or more alive that could read that far back into the past? Perhaps, and if so why not use them. We have some very good ones here in the states and they've been very accurate with their readings. I wonder if anyone has thought to use them on historical digs and hunts for lost history?

Love and Peace to you Mruppert, and all those beautiful cats.
Tracy Martin
Posted 6/10/2008 12:42 PM (#6526 - in reply to #6184)

Alumni

Cause they could just as well land on the lawn?
mruppert
Posted 9/4/2008 10:01 PM (#9976 - in reply to #6184)

Hi all:

I was reminded of this thread....and had to resurrect it!

Rose....pyschics have indeed been to Stonehenge and many other historical sites. As a historian by education, I credit their observations with as much belief as I would for any other historian. In my view, every interpretation is plausible in some way! How to even try to attempt to approach the truth? Well, I think the preponderance of "independent" conclusion might work. A million historians could all claim the same truth, and that would be meaningless. Historians very rarely work independent of each other...they always are influenced by others. But, give me a bunch of pyschics, who independently, come up with the same interpretation, then that is a bit different...and most likely closer to the truth than others may get. Yet, most would dismiss the preponderance of evidence! Let me give an example....an eyewitness says that the culprit wore a blue coat........if 50 pyschics are gathered to test this and a simple majority say also that the culprit wore a blue coat, it would reaffirm the truth in most minds (those psychics that disagreed being dismissed as cookoos, fakes, etc). But, if as high as all fifty psychics claim that the culprit wore a red coat, it would not be good enough to impeach the statement of the eyewitness....see what I mean?

It is our nature to believe truth when convenient, familiar or pleasing. It is against our nature to believe it when presented otherwise. Hence the aptly titled Al Gore book "An INCONVENIENT Truth" Some "truths" don't necessarily have to be true to be believed.....look at most hierachical religious truths....the ones that frighten as opposed to comfort.

And, finally Tracespace....any intergalactic air traffic controller, union or non-union, knows that you just can't land on somebodies lawn! You gotta land at the spaceport.....how are the weary travelers gonna make their connecting flights, or donkeys?

Peace Profound,

Marty and Druids, Lucky, Poppy and Sissygirl

Tracy Martin
Posted 9/4/2008 11:04 PM (#9979 - in reply to #6184)

Alumni

In the 40's flying saucers had thin stick like landing gear according to the tabloids and science fiction illustrators.  Later they never actually touched the ground but hovered. Haven't heard of any landings lately. Why would someone from another world have designed a spaceship to explore and visit other worlds, if it depended on a special landing platform when it got there?

mruppert
Posted 9/4/2008 11:54 PM (#9981 - in reply to #6184)

Ah ha Dear Tracendental!
     "They" were not exploring other worlds; they were caretaking this one.
     Look at the things found in the Burgess Shale, aka "The Crucible of Creation". Proof that it takes more than water to create our form of life on a planet.

Peace and Love,
Marty and Astrocats, Lucky Apo-G, Poppy Peri-G and Sissy Syzy-G
Paul Joseph
Posted 9/5/2008 5:59 AM (#9982 - in reply to #9981)

PhD Alumni

Marty-O - not familiar with that book, but is this heading into Erich Von Daniken territory as to 'was God an astronaut?'

It always made me wonder, if astronauts created us, who created the astronauts ?!

Read an article the toehr day about swatting flies, and scientists ahev discovered that swatting flies is so difficult because of their highll complex brain - another 'proof of God' for me (I wrote a letter to The Times to say that I have mastered the art of thinking flies out of the house, because their complexity permits ESP, rather than swatting them - but they haven't printed it!)

Back to Stonehenge, etc, I have become very taken with the researchers who make a claim for Atlantis having been in the Andeas/Central American region ('Atlantis in the Andes', can be Googled); that it was a civilization that flourished over 12,000 years ago, were master seafarers and developed highly technical navigational and sacred systems, of which such things as Stonehenge and the Pyramids formed a system.

The civilization was destroyed by a planetary catastrophe, which, since they anticipated it, they built in hugh stone monuments that could then form the basis of messages for future civilizations (check out the work of Graham Hancock on that one).
mruppert
Posted 9/5/2008 10:46 PM (#10002 - in reply to #6184)

Well now........Science, 6/27/08, pp1704-1705......."this is in keeping with the idea that Stonehenge, and related structures at Durringotn Walls, were used for ceremonial purposes. Experts disagree as to whether the main function was for funerals OR FOR HEALING!

I may "play" with Tracy and she knows that I do, and I do, indeed have room for an alien based explanation....but my gut belief is that Stonehenge is a medical center. A place of last resort healing or final reward. Look at the remaining stones! Set up a sweep magnometer dead center and do you know what readings you would get? Everything amplified by 10 X N (N=remaining standing stones).

So everyone can dispute that...but my final proof is the cows! You don't bring them, without feed, to a place with no feed, unless you expect that the purpose of bringing them is one thing. Stonehenge was not a routinely inhabited community regardless of what SciAm says in their articles. The cows were needed, not for sacrifice, but for a good source of iron, after difficult medical procedures. Patients drank the blood of livestock after much blood-lose, as a means of revitalization.

Stonehenge was the most advanced center of healing known to mankind....a place of gathering of true healers with the diagnostic equipment necessary...the Stones! These healers must have been energetic healers, who knew how to use the power of the stones.

Laugh if you all want, but my explanation is just as plausible as any other, and probably true...for you see, it is the presence of grazing cow bones, from distant parts of England, that tell we historians that there is something afoot.......

P&L,

Marty and the SleepyGirls....you know who they are!

Paul Joseph
Posted 9/6/2008 5:21 AM (#10011 - in reply to #10002)

PhD Alumni

I agree with the multi-factorial complexity of ancient capacities; healing, divination, all merge at the vibrational level, do they not ?
Paul Joseph
Posted 9/23/2008 3:36 PM (#10380 - in reply to #6184)

PhD Alumni

Dear Rose & All

Wondering if anyone caught this latest Stonehenge hypothesis ?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4805844.ece

a healing centre

'And did those feet ...?'

Edited by Paul Joseph 9/23/2008 3:37 PM
Tracy Martin
Posted 9/23/2008 3:51 PM (#10382 - in reply to #6184)

Alumni

Sir Martin de Felines was right!
mruppert
Posted 9/23/2008 8:41 PM (#10384 - in reply to #10382)

Hi Traysea Martian et al,
     .....don't have time to read the link but....
     I wouldn't say that Sir Martin was right, but rather that he made the logical conclusion that several other hysterical hystorians made when faced with something that can't be explained in context. We then look for other contexts that fit. Failing that, we look at what makes the most "common sense", in line with the common sense of the time.
     Instead of bringing psychics, I would like to bring some other equipment. Since I can't spin the stones, I will spin the detector. I hope I will be pleasantly and/or profoundly surprised at what I see. I may see the ultimate MRI, but one not quite like the ones we have now. Perhaps more like one that I saw
( conceptually....and by the way the author also saw....and we cannot envision, write about  and film what we truly cannot see; all of fiction and science fiction is "seen" ) in an episode of a series called "Firefly". Most of Josh Weedons(sp?) Firefly was terrible, but there were three metaphysically massive episodes of monumental meditative madness! One was the 4D MRI, where not only could River's doctor/brother see her brain...but he could touch it and "feel" it in all senses and times.
     Yeah! I think Stonehenge...which has been my laptop wallpaper for many years is quite the place to "be"!!!!!!!!!!!

Martin des Chats, et Luckee, Poppee, and le Sissee Juenefile
Paul Joseph
Posted 9/26/2008 10:52 AM (#10450 - in reply to #6184)

PhD Alumni

For all of us Stone Lovers ....

http://www.stone-circles.org.uk/

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/england/avebury.htm

and for good measure ...

http://www.earthquest.co.uk/

Edited by Paul Joseph 9/26/2008 10:55 AM
soulfire
Posted 9/26/2008 2:59 PM (#10452 - in reply to #6184)

Alumni

There was an interesting article in Smithsonian mag about the latest archeological dig etc. I read it yesterday; found it interesting. It was about the healing center theory. Did anyone else read it?
Paul Joseph
Posted 9/26/2008 6:54 PM (#10456 - in reply to #10452)

PhD Alumni

Sounds too highbrow for us poor Brits ! .. .seriously, no i did not, but thanks for the citation
sunflower
Posted 9/27/2008 3:41 AM (#10461 - in reply to #6490)

Elite Veteran

mmm muppet mr,i don,t need my socks pulling up,i am barefoot all the way,get the earth vibes that way,anyhow,back to ye olde stonehenge,still say its a pile of stones,that peoples past have made into a mystery,thats what people do,they see somethoing,don,thave a clue what it is,and make up all sorts of mysteries about it,none matching,all different opinions,gives them something to talk about,my full stops not working on here,so i,ll have to carry on with the commas,stonehenge apparently was once a hospital,so oit has been found,or said,or discovered,or made up,even time team get it wrong sometimes,most of the time i would say,wonder who plants the pots,and elaborates a story,cos they don,t actualy know for sureeven beleifs thousands of years ago,have been discredited,right down to the stars in the sky meanings,constellataions,planets,so on,and so on it goes,what is written as gospel today,will be fish and chip paper in years to come,that was supposed to be a full stop,so,in conclusion,it may be i intuitively think,a place of some healing,but the whole world itself is a place of healing,its up to the individual to find their intuitve spot,full stop,luv irisx
Paul Joseph
Posted 9/27/2008 12:50 PM (#10468 - in reply to #10461)

PhD Alumni

So much of our perception is optional