FARM BILL....
Rose
Posted 5/22/2008 12:48 PM (#5591)
Subject: FARM BILL....

Student

Another thing that's been on my mind lately is the Farm Bill. You ever notice that the reports on this and other suggested bills are misssing so much detailed information.

But according to most of the media, this Bill would put more money into the Farmers pockets. Farmers that are making over a million a year could qualify and the tax payers are footing the bill.

Please feel free to approach this from a political perspective and also a spiritual one. I also read that money would help provide food relief for those in our country suffering and it would provide more foodstamps for people.

What perplexes me is this, "we are living in one of the most thriving countries, rich, flourishing and yet more and more people are finding it difficult to eat."

Do you think that this is a worthwhile use of taxpayer dollars?

Love and Peace to all of you.........

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/22/2008 1:47 PM (#5614 - in reply to #5591)
Subject: RE: FARM BILL....

PhD Alumni

Apart from a British type joke, eg, who is Bill Farm ? (and in UK 'Bill' is a euphemism for the police)

.. (sorry, UK humour)..

not sure wwe have that here ... British farmers face the gobblling up of their land for housing & storage warehouses, the use of arable land for rapeseed production to provide bio fuel instead of growing vegetables that we could eat, etc etc.

The skeins and veil of illusion are so so thick, once permitted to take root ...
instinctual
Posted 5/22/2008 3:59 PM (#5619 - in reply to #5591)

PhD Alumni

Yes, isn't that convenient, Rose, that much pertinent information seems to not be too pertinent, to perhaps the main stream media, with their biases and slants. One story turns into 100 different viewpoints and spin offs depending on where you get your information, conservative talk radio, liberal talk radio, mainsteam cable news channels...blah de blah blah freakin' blah.

My personal and spiritual view on this is that people need to pull together to make a difference in their own communities, with the focus on charity and taking care of our own: Our own families, neighbors, communities, farmers, animals, and the environment. To me it is becoming more and more obvious especially after the New Orleans Katrina/Rita disaster that we simply cannot depend on government to do anything that would make any sort of sense..UGH. Families of 4 living in FEMA trailers that are 350 square feet. almost 3 years later.

I hear and feel your statement, Rose-- "we are living in one of the most thriving countries, rich, flourishing and yet more and more people are finding it difficult to eat." The rich get richer. Does everything need to be about profit? Interesting that the farmers who make over $1 mil can qualify for a tax break. I truly do not understand IRS regulations, so I should not be spouting off on issues I do not fully understand, it just seems to be basic math.

Love, Lori
sunflower
Posted 5/23/2008 4:14 AM (#5639 - in reply to #5619)

Elite Veteran

hi,softly,softly,charity they say begins at home,so it should be,in the days of old,families helped each other,neighbours popped in to each others houses,where the door was always open,to borrow a cup of sugar,or give their own home cooked food to their less fortunate neighbours,everyone pulled together,a truly spiritual oneness.But now,no one can leave their door unlocked,for fear of burgalaries,etc,whomever said evil did not exist on this earthplane,needs to look outside their own door,in their own community,where muggers,people,nay,kids who shoot others,for no reason,peadophiles released and given anonomity,who reoffend,the kids who carry photo phones,and film their friends pick on innocent passers by,and kick them to unconcousness,and laugh when they play back the horror.So much,and more,i leave out dark and ight in this,and say just pure evil,intentional,thought out.Farmers have a hard time in the u.k,they work tirelessly,and constantly are picked on,not supported by government,their stock continuously struck down by disease,foot and mouth etc,where burning pires of cattle,some healthy have to be destroyed,many years of hard labour,lost,i have a thoutht on this,but will hold back for now.I have no time for politics,goverment,politicians,who are a gathering of egos,vying for first place,with policies put forward,to enhance their own ego,once elected,never carried out,when next party comes in,it blames the last for the mess they have made,and then proceed to make even more mess themselves,to the usual price,cost of the voters,and the country,yet the politicians,people in power,so called, prosper,and not one would have a clue ,or indeed survive,the life of the ordinary person on the street,they pay as much on a lunch,so called business,as would be a weeks money for many poor people struggling to survive.okay,iris,slow down,think of your blood pressure,i daren,t get started on the nhs,hospitals,doctors going private,etc.In fact,this whole writing of mine has tired me out with my burning anger at the deceit,so i will go and replenish,gather my inner resources,and call for spirit healing,regain my balance,and walk amongst the healing nature,before it too,disappears,from mans greed.luv and hugsx
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/23/2008 5:56 AM (#5640 - in reply to #5639)

PhD Alumni

I agree ... I think the whole Foot & Mouth issue, and now, poisoning badgers because of fears of TB, is all an unconscious assault on Nature - the ancient war between male/female, indeed, our own internal male & female selves, symbolically, played out & externalised in nature
Rose
Posted 5/23/2008 3:09 PM (#5672 - in reply to #5619)

Student

Thanks for the reply Lori, much to think on. I agree with you. We can make a difference in our own little corners of the world. Helping our neighbors, family and friends etc.

Communities need to pull together more, right now!
Rose
Posted 5/23/2008 3:15 PM (#5673 - in reply to #5614)

Student

Humor always welcomed Paul. Interesting that your Farmers are losing their land. That's happened in the past several years where many an agricultural program at Universities have lost much land to "condominiums" I believe in your part they're called, "flats". Funny how food is really so essential and so important and yet so much is done to prevent the production of it.

In cities there are so many laws against having small farm animals. A family that could feed it's basic needs for eggs with two or three chickens are not allowed to keep them. One well bred goat could produce enough milk to supply a business and a a family...etc. But people are not allowed to work their small plots. There are CC and R's that make it impossible to even fence in your front yards.

So it's important to keep the people of the land bound and tied and locked into being dependent. It's not important to teach them to be productive and independent so that everyone has something to offer in their community. So many individual talents that are buried. Talents that could serve everyone.
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/24/2008 6:28 AM (#5693 - in reply to #5673)

PhD Alumni

Quite so; also farmers in the UK are settng up bed and breakfast hotels to supplement their declining incomes; meanwhile my son who works part time in a local fmaily run greengrocer says that food there now is becoming so expensive that more people are using the conglomerate supermarkets (who can outbuy in bulk, etc), and the local shops are therefore in decline; we seem to be in a negative vortex, to which we all, me included, contribute.
instinctual
Posted 5/25/2008 12:12 AM (#5714 - in reply to #5591)

PhD Alumni

Wow, what a sad state of affairs, really...same here in the states and all over...seems like a real education for your son ...the vortex you refer to is so real,it is now that we should be supporting locally but because of this near recession we can only afford to buy in bulk in these mega stores...I still do try to purchase local things..I will spend $1 more on a dozen eggs of they were laid in Arizona, instead of paying for the carbon footprint of these little protein balls laid in say, Idaho..haha! All I can say is, yikes.
John W. Kelly
Posted 5/25/2008 2:01 PM (#5754 - in reply to #5591)

Regular

We need to subsidize the growing of money trees!
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/25/2008 3:53 PM (#5759 - in reply to #5754)
Subject: RE: FARM BILL.... [ & The Eleventh Hour]

PhD Alumni

Sure you won;t mind , dear Rose, my linking to the Tv programme now playing here, about the end of the world, via, consumerism ... worth watching if it comes to you - presented by Leonardo di Caprio ,

as for John's joke, quite so; if the hunger in us all had a sense of humour ...

....... good point Lori; the family who run my son's shop are a wonderful Greek Cypriot family; and they really have contributed to my son;s self-development - but they,as with many others, seem to be the last of the breed.

..................... love & prayers ....... see you on the balsa rafts

Paul

instinctual
Posted 5/25/2008 11:38 PM (#5803 - in reply to #5591)

PhD Alumni

Speaking of sons, John, my son ( almost 18 - the turd that he is ) said just the other day, "What's the big deal about money? Trees are money because money is paper and paper comes from trees".

Ugh. All we can do is show by example and pray alot..I think.

B&B's are on the top of my list. I love them. I would go on a world wide trip to patronize every single one. (Wow, checking my credit card available balance right away )!