Wristwatches
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/3/2008 4:43 PM (#4966)
Subject: Wristwatches

PhD Alumni

Does anyone else have problems with wristwatches?

I stopped wearing quartz controlled years ago out of environmental concern. I tried automatics. But I found that neither quartz nor automatics kept precise time for me. My car clock, for example, just seems to go faster and faster.

I have wondered about the psych-kinetics that might be going on. I have found that a radio controlled watch keeps good time, but firstly, they can be heavy (I need a sturdy watch as I swim, fall down now and again, etc), but also I have begun to wonder if the radio signal can somehow interfere with one's natural energy flow. Interesting, i met a 'natural psychic' once, who also wore a radio controlled watch to keep accurate time.

I am considering not wearing a watch at all, but they do come in useful - for this world's time at any rate!

Interesting I guess that the wristwatch was developed for military purposes, as i believe, the world wide web was (which, incidentally, and now going off the point, maybe, ghe Hopi prophecies appeared to predict [www, not watches]; ie, the Hopi prophecies spoke of the world being covered by a giant spider's 'web', which, with the advent of electricity, was assumed was that... but now we have the ww-web; interesting to me at any rate!) ??
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Supernatural3
Posted 5/3/2008 6:23 PM (#4967 - in reply to #4966)
Subject: RE: Wristwatches

PhD Alumni

I never could wear a watch either, didn't know why, it's like I always just broke it, or it would just never work right. Eventually years ago, i gave up. Now I carry a cell phone for all my needs.
mruppert
Posted 5/4/2008 1:44 AM (#4970 - in reply to #4966)

Hi Peej....
     I have two Casio divers watches, for years, and I have never put in new batts yet! I adjust them to the DEST v EST since we like to change times at the whim of Congress, USA.
      But, get this.....I have a novelty alarm clock, from Green Giant Vegetables, for free.......that talks. I got this clock in the 1980's. You and I both know what year it is. I have never ever ever changed the battery in this clock....I don't even know what type of battery it takes.....all I know is that it gets me up every morning!

Peace,
Marty and CatClocks, Lucky, Popp and BlindSiss
NothingEverything
Posted 5/4/2008 3:23 AM (#4971 - in reply to #4966)

UMS Student

I'm in the military, and knowing what time it is absolutely paramount.
However, I've never had a watch that worked for over a week for me....
Every watch I've ever owned was like this...
My wife gave me a really sweet Swiss made watch a couple Christmas' ago, and, it stopped after a week or so...
we always take them to a watch repair man who says nothings seems to be wrong with it and gets it working again..
just to stop again a couple days later..usually while i sleep. So now days people often hear from me "Hey man, you have the time?"
Fortunately I see things differently, I just figure that "Those shackles don't work on me any ways.."
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/4/2008 4:49 AM (#4977 - in reply to #4966)

PhD Alumni

Hmm ... I suspected there was more to this phenomeon .. good to know I am not alone !
Tracy Martin
Posted 5/5/2008 11:37 AM (#4987 - in reply to #4966)

Alumni

I have never desired to attach myself to a watch.
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/5/2008 12:45 PM (#4988 - in reply to #4987)

PhD Alumni

What an enigmatic comment, Tracy !

In formal psychoanalysis, the 50 minute hour is sacred ... disputes about time can be fruitful sources of learning and healing.

In 'business', lateness for meetings can be a terrific method of resistance and attack (psychologically speaking) ...

Some of us therefore, might need an accurate determinant of time.

There was a great English music hall comedienne, now passed on, called, Hilda Baker. One of her great catch phrases would consist of her looking at her watch, and saying, 'well it's 10 past ...', and then she would pause, tap the watch, look at the audience and say,

"Oohh, i must get a little hand for this watch" !!

On the other hand (no pun intended), I suspect the enjoyment of owning watches, can be a way of feeling that, symbolically, we somehow 'own' or master, time.

I was just personally also troubled in case the radio waves might interfere with my personal energy/aura.
Tracy Martin
Posted 5/5/2008 5:40 PM (#4990 - in reply to #4966)

Alumni

Yeah, that was a cool enigmatic statement. Well...back in the sixties watches were part of the System, the corporate world, so it was first done as a rejection of the modern age of tick-tock, sit down, stand up, eat now, sleep now. Although I have had an aversion to the clock (it is such an arbitrary man-made measurement) I used to always be early to appointments. I have noticed that throughout my life I have had a peculiar aversion to wearing any jewelry, watches, even cosmetics, although they are beautiful to me and I may collect some.  I am not sure why. A trauma in a past life? I just can't seem to get attached, pinned, pierced, shackled, painted. 

Paul Joseph
Posted 5/6/2008 3:44 AM (#4991 - in reply to #4990)

PhD Alumni

Thanks Tracy; that's interesting too,because I have increasingly found wearing a watch a physical restraint (it too is the only 'jewellery' I wear). Which was also why I wondered about other people's experience, energy, and as you say, possibly karmic issues.

My wife cannot bear anything close around her neck. We have been to Paris twice, and each time, had a furious row. I have always had an aversion to certain countries ... and I have speculated about a past life/French revolution connection (or disconnection - eg, guillotine!)

Headlessly your
Paul

instinctual
Posted 5/15/2008 1:56 PM (#5377 - in reply to #4966)

PhD Alumni

Sad to say, but as a registered nurse of 20 years, a profession in which a wristwatch is as much a part of the uniform as the scrubs and clogs, I always found them cumbersome, and would end up pinning it onto my shirt. They just feel awkward ! eww
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/15/2008 4:42 PM (#5382 - in reply to #5377)

PhD Alumni

Thanks Instinctual - but the interesting part, for my suspicions anyway, is that you do not wear them on your body, but on your shirt !!
instinctual
Posted 5/15/2008 5:23 PM (#5386 - in reply to #4966)

PhD Alumni

Ha Ha! What can I say, I'm a little crazy like that..it's how I roll. Actually, it sort of had to do with infection control, patient to patient contact, that sort of thing. That's probably an excuse, though, as I just really cannot stand the feeling of anything around my wrist.
paddy
Posted 7/18/2010 10:33 PM (#19655 - in reply to #4966)

I occasionally wear a solar powered digital watch, all the quartz analog watches I try break quickly. Most of the younger generation seem to use their cell phones, and so I synch my digital watch to digital cell phone time.

At some point in my seeking, I came across the question of spin dominance. I resolved that the world has united in the religion of clockwise dominant time for some reason or another which is likely correct.

There was a Mantak Chia event I went to in which he ended with a meditation that is supposed to help cure cancer, centered about a counterclockwise spinning vortex. I asked several people afterwards and they agreed that they didn't feel well - a sort of motion sickness.

In some Earth Goddess practices, a healing circle is opened clockwise and closed counterclockwise.

So I ponder if there is a Clockwise dominance on the Earth, and in the Earth, and in the Sun, and in the Solar System, and in the Galaxy - then this may be part of the Codec of our Logos (whatever that is) that may be worth recognizing somehow. Did I mention a religion of time?

I visualize myself standing on the Orbital Axis Point of the South Pole, looking down at the Earth spinning underneath, it spins clockwise and so from that perspective, I feel as if "On Top Of The World." I think there are many Australians who feel the same way, that North is the downside and South is the upside of the Earth.

For me, part of this clockwise dominance reasoning relates to the question "why is the human heart on the left side?"
(It seems a question about creation.)

paddy
Paul Joseph
Posted 8/6/2010 7:18 AM (#19825 - in reply to #19655)

PhD Alumni

Thanks again Paddy, interesting reflections

I am currently trying an automatic watch, but I seem to be able to make that one go faster !!!