Communing with Creation's Creatures
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/30/2008 4:45 PM (#4901)
Subject: Communing with Creation's Creatures

PhD Alumni

In an earlier response to another thread earlier today, a correspondent (you will know who you are, just didn't want to single you out in case you were being modest!) mentioned that some folk think it strange to talk to animals. It's late and i cannot find the post, so had to start a new thread, but just to say, I also talk to animals, and in fact, trees and flowers. This has a long tradition, going back further than St Francis, indeed there is a Biblical story of a donkey seeing an angel, but the donkey's human master not believing the donkey - full reference available on request. Though, I think the communication is more one way, from them to me; i am still trying to learn it the other around.

I am getting to know quite a few trees very well, I find listening to them, mostly by putting my hand on them takes me in and down, beyond the roots, to different times, places and another dimensional world. This mostly has increased since more focused meditating. Indeed, not that I approve of 'cut' flowers as gifts, but flowers especially, seem to have a very loud voice at the vibrational level (perhaps because they have been cut down)

Namaste

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tracy Martin
Posted 4/30/2008 5:39 PM (#4902 - in reply to #4901)
Subject: RE: Communing with Creation's Creatures

Alumni

I talk to plants, trees, animals, water, storms too! The crows or ravens I address almost immediately in my mind as "little sister." The blue jays I give peanuts to on my porch are spoken to. And I do believe I am understanding their language better and better.

The cat I live with is extremely talkative and one day upon coming home I clearly heard him say "hello." And of course he is is always telling me he wants what he wants "nooow!"

My Mom feeds the birds back in the New York woods and occasionally one will land on her shoulder or head.

I do admire those sensitive people who can hear what the animals are saying very clearly.

My first touch of a Redwood tree was quite remarkable. I felt myself being whoooshed swiftly upwards, downwards, and outwards.

Rose
Posted 4/30/2008 8:47 PM (#4903 - in reply to #4902)

Student

I've never heard or read anyone else ever say this before, about redwood trees. The first time I hugged a redwood tree it felt as if there was an immediate healing taking place. It was a feeling that washed over me and immediately moved me to tears and I just held on to that tree. I love Kings Canyon and love hiking there.

You know I've never considered myself a treehugger...now I wonder if some part of me is....

Love and Peace..
Rose
Posted 4/30/2008 9:03 PM (#4904 - in reply to #4901)

Student

Jesus spoke to animals, and St Francis loved the animals, you mentioned this Paul. Animals have been responsible for healing many people. They have a great deal to offer. The saying goes, "stop and smell the roses", well we should coin another that says, "stop and listen to the animals".

I visited the ruins of the mission where St. Francis himself served. Felt like home.

Love and Peace.
Tracy Martin
Posted 4/30/2008 9:13 PM (#4905 - in reply to #4901)

Alumni

Many of my friends from NY had asked me to hug a Redwood tree for them. I also felt protected by this great giant...as if I were welcomed and cherished by it, and I was surprised and delighted by the energy. Tree hugger.

sunflower
Posted 5/1/2008 2:05 AM (#4907 - in reply to #4901)

Elite Veteran

hi paul,a subject close to my heart.I said on an earlier post about anima power,as i have always had dogs and cats,i observe them sometimes,and came to the conclusion,that mans saying animals are the dumbest creatures,should in fact put human before that,as i find,that they are so intuitive,spiritual,and healing,they are used now in all sorts of things to help humans,one being visiting hospitals,elderly peoples homes etc.my dog know when i am ill,sad etc,and comes to me,uncalled,and sits right up close to me,and puts his head on my chest,he also sprawls across a part of my body that i may be feeling pain in at that time,paws on healing,i think this is not confined to one species of animal,but all are intelligent etc.I too,talk to animals,trees,flowers,birds,i often talk to my house plants,beleive it or not,they are thriving,but i also think all of nature gives off healing.I often go into my nearby forest,and have since i can remeber hugged trees,it makes me feel good,the vibrancy of nature,the colors of flowers,leaves,are in line with our chakras,i,e,the dandelion,yellow,the sacral,etc,we find all these colours not just in flowers but birds,different colour trees,the healing of green,the trunk brown,and earhing colour,and so on.I don,t like cutting floweres,as i mentaly apolozise to them,as i fell i am casing pain,like the surgeons knife,but nature is in abundace,and quickly regrows,like the dandelion,i often have a vase of dandelions in a vase in my room,okay,i,m sounding a bit mad now aren,t i,but thats not the half of it,everything gives off different vibrations,we all maybe have our favourite colour,i thnk if attracted to a colour in the nature,flower case,we need that colour,at that time,we are drawn to it,maybe its the flowers calling out to us,and attracting our attention,to help us heal with that colour.So muchon this subject,but i will close now,asi could go on forever ,god forbid,but yes,nature heals,its free,and given to us by mother,and the creator,shame some deliberately set out to destroy,that which heals and protects,i tlak to all i see,nature wise on my walks,okay,bye
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/1/2008 4:49 AM (#4908 - in reply to #4901)

PhD Alumni

The Biblical story of Balaam's Ass is quite relevant to Sunflower's comments, and it is such a fantastic story I thought I would offer it:

"In the morning Balaam saddled his ass and went with the princes of Moab. And God sent an angel who stood before the ass, sword in hand. The ass saw the angel and turned into the field by the road. Balaam struck the ass in order to turn her back into the road.

A little farther on, where the road passed a vineyard with a wall on either side, the angel stood in the way again. The ass thrust herself against the wall, crushing Balaam's foot, so that he beat her again. Then the angel stood in a narrow place where there was no way to turn either to right or left, and the ass fell down under Balaam.

Balaam was so incensed that he beat the ass with his staff. Then the Lord opened the mouth of the ass, and she said, "What have I done that you should beat me so?"

Balaam answered, "Because you have mocked me. If I had a sword I would kill you."

Again the ass spoke, "I have been a faithful ass for many years. Have I ever acted so before?"

Even as Balaam answered "No," the Lord opened his eyes and he saw the angel, and bowed to the ground, realizing that the faithful ass had saved his life. The angel then told Balaam that he might go on, but that he should speak only the words which the Lord put in his mouth" (from Numbers 21, onwards, this version from aslbible.com)

-----------------

Rose et al - wonder if you had ever heard of a book called, The Story of San Michelle, by Axel Munthe ? Long out of print now, but the autobiography of a spiritual philanthropist in the late 19th, early 20th century ... he created an animal sanctuary at the top of the Island of Capri (before it became as developed as it is today). His story concludes with a vision of the after-life where, despite all his 'sins', because of his deep love and devotion to animals, the animals become his advocates to be allowed into Heaven, with St Francis himself materialising to lend his support.

-----------------

My first major tree encounter was one autumn when I was about to say goodbye to a dear friend who was going far away (and I sensed I would never see them again). As I passed a tree in the darkness of Hampstead Heath, a late last leaf fluttered down and fell at my feet. I gave this to my friend as a treasured going away gift ... now, ever after, I cannot pass that tree without holding it, and seeing the deep, bright darkness of the Other World; one day as I was looking up there, I saw a tiny kestrel huddled in its branches, not more than 6 feet from my head.

Paul Joseph
Posted 5/1/2008 7:06 AM (#4911 - in reply to #4901)

PhD Alumni

CORRECTION: The Bible (OT) quote came from Numbers 22, verse 21 onwards. Apologies.
sunflower
Posted 5/2/2008 3:10 AM (#4938 - in reply to #4908)

Elite Veteran

hi paul,i thought your srory was alovely one,and through all the quotes you find there is an important message to us all.I think your post was very interesting,and you have much spiritual insight,i think you should write more posts,as i think you have much to add to this forum,maybe some spiritual insights,observations of your many years experience,i look forward .bye
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/2/2008 3:59 AM (#4939 - in reply to #4938)

PhD Alumni

That's so very nice of you, thanks Sunflower. I sometimes think I post too much! Glad you liked the stories.

Best to you and Everyone
sunflower
Posted 5/2/2008 8:38 AM (#4952 - in reply to #4939)

Elite Veteran

hi paul,you can never post too much,everyone has their say,and their passionate beleifs,if you have knowlege to give,which you have,it should be shared,don,t hide in the shadows,we all learn from each other,as on this site,we all seek spiritual knowledge,the searching and seeking of,we may read many posts,and not understand,or not take away anything from it,but,as we are all drawn here for a reason,if we see just one thing that answers a question we may have pondered for a long while,its like a speck of sand ,join all the specks of sand together,we have a beutiful beach,bye fr nowx
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/2/2008 9:09 AM (#4953 - in reply to #4952)

PhD Alumni

Namaste Sunflower.

And perhaps that is how we change, or heal, the world.

ON THE SEASHORE (By Tagore)

On the seashore of endless worlds children meet.
The infinite sky is motionless overhead
And the restless water is boisterous.
On the seashore of endless worlds
The children meet with shouts and dances.

They build their houses with sand,
And they play with empty shells.
With withered leaves they weave
Their boats and smilingly float them
On the vast deep.
Children have their play on the
Seashore of worlds.

They know not how to swim,
They know not how to cast nets.
Pearl-fishers dive for pearls,
Merchants sail in their ships,
While children gather pebbles
And scatter them again.
They seek not for hidden treasures,

The sea surges up with laughter,
And pale gleams the smile of the sea-beach.
Death-dealing waves sing
Meaningless ballads to the children,
Even like a mother while rocking her baby's cradle.
The sea plays with children,

Tempest roams in the pathless sky,
Ships are wrecked in the trackless water,
Death is abroad and children play.
On the seashore of endless worlds is the
Great meeting of children.

- Rabindranath Tagore, 1913 - 1941
(found on web-site, http://www.poetseers.org)

Paul Joseph
Posted 5/2/2008 4:39 PM (#4958 - in reply to #4901)
Subject: RE: Communing with Creation's Creatures (correction)

PhD Alumni

Sorry all - Tagore was born in 1861 ... I thought he was too young to have written enough to have won the Nobel Prize for Literature; I got mixed up; I think it was the poem that was written in the year I cited as his birthday. Oops.
NothingEverything
Posted 5/4/2008 4:02 AM (#4973 - in reply to #4953)

UMS Student

Paul Joseph - 2008-05-03 10:09 PM

Namaste Sunflower.

And perhaps that is how we change, or heal, the world.

ON THE SEASHORE (By Tagore)

The infinite sky is motionless overhead
And the restless water is boisterous.
On the seashore of endless worlds
The children meet with shouts and dances.

They build their houses with sand,
And they play with empty shells.
With withered leaves they weave
Their boats and smilingly float them
On the vast deep.
Children have their play on the
Seashore of worlds.

They know not how to swim,
Pearl-fishers dive for pearls,
Merchants sail in their ships,
While children gather pebbles
And scatter them again.
They seek not for hidden treasures,

The sea surges up with laughter,
Death-dealing waves sing
Meaningless ballads to the children,
Even like a mother while rocking her baby's cradle.
The sea plays with children,

Tempest roams in the pathless sky,
Ships are wrecked in the trackless water,
Death is abroad and children play.
On the seashore of endless worlds is the
Great meeting of children.

- Rabindranath Tagore, 1913 - 1941
(found on web-site, http://www.poetseers.org)

This very much reminds me of my reoccurring dream.
The name of the beach in my dream is Chiriumi, which translates into Dust Ocean.
Each wave is like a tidal wave, and the current is brutal.
But you never drown underwater.
Its a long and vivid dream every time, and a lot goes on.
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/4/2008 4:45 AM (#4975 - in reply to #4901)

PhD Alumni

NE - sounds like a very beautiful and intriguing dream. The first line of this poem appears in a quote on the first page of 'Playing and Reality', but the paediatrician and psychoanlayst, D W Winnicott, where I first heard it. I think it is an incredibly evocative piece, especially the idea of children playing on the seashore, and there, is the great meeting; where, perhaps as your dream indicates, if we go with and under, we can never drown, only become more totally ourselves. I am talking symolically but that happened once on a wild dolphin swim, where a pod seemed to come and beckon us down, down, as if inviting us to join them. At one point if I had gone any further with them, I sensed I woudl not have gone back (hence he earlier story I told of the Amazon Shaman whose grandmother left the shore to become a shaman dolphin).
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/4/2008 2:46 PM (#4984 - in reply to #4973)

PhD Alumni

NE - since my last post, I have been wondering if to post a poem i wrote many years ago; called, Affirmations. I only enquire, because this isn't a poetry site, strictly speaking .. though I think it was perhaps Shelley who said, 'poets are the unacknowledged legislators of mankind' - but it seemed to echo your dream somewhat (and that is not a pun on Echo Beach) ... if anyone would like it posted, am happy to do that.

ps, W R Bion made one of the most powerful contributors to the psychonalytic movement; he had been a tank commander in trenches of the First World War.
mruppert
Posted 5/4/2008 11:47 PM (#4985 - in reply to #4901)

"Echo Beach, far away in time, Echo Beach, far away in time"
-Martha and the Muffins...who had one great song that was eclipsed by the Go Go's "Can you hear them, talkin' bout us, telling dirty lies in the back of the bus".
My cats do, indeed, talk to me, and I respond. I have had to refine it quite a bit, since SissyGirl is getting progressively blind, and can't always say what she sees, since she doesn't see a lot anymore.

Peace,
Marty and Chattercats, Luck, Popp and SissssHisssssssss
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/5/2008 9:07 AM (#4986 - in reply to #4985)

PhD Alumni

Aah Marty - glad you picked up on the Echo Beach link; funny, when I used to hear that, I heard it as 'Echo Beach, far away inside', and it was only some time later that I ralized I had the lyrics wrong - but the wrong version always seemed good too !

Empathisze with the aged cat matter.... my mother has a really old moggy that used to be a stary so she doesn't know how old he is; now his b ones creak, he cannot see well, has had to have his claws removed because he lost the knack of retracting them, then his teeth, so has to suck his food as best he can; but he soldiers on. Marvellous. His name is Smudge ('cos he is black white a few white smudges!)
NothingEverything
Posted 5/6/2008 6:58 AM (#4992 - in reply to #4901)

UMS Student

Id love to read your poetry, and you can always use the "Poetry for the soul" thread!
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/6/2008 8:17 AM (#4993 - in reply to #4992)

PhD Alumni

Thanks NE; i have it at home, so will dust it off from the loft (written c.1980 - the poem, not the loft) and post it later, as I will not finish work till late tonight.
schenn
Posted 5/6/2008 11:37 AM (#4995 - in reply to #4901)

I talk to animals, insects, plants (trees and flowers) and everything else inbetween. In my personal spiritual view, all the universe is made of concious energy (which lightworkers refer to as "light") and life is an embodyment of this concious energy. That within everything is a soul, a pocket of conciousness within the greater conciousness. Trees are absolutly wonderful. They're great healers and help us reconnect ourselves to the greater conciousness of Earth. Some animals are very ... human... (for lack of a better term) and some humans are very ... animals... (for lack of a better term). For example, Dolphins. Dolphins "feel" very human, though very young.

It takes quiet practice to learn how to "hear" the voices of these "lifeforms". Practice, practice, practice and sooner or later you too can hear the spirits of nature. Sometimes they have nothing to say, sometimes they just want to share an interesting experience to them, sometimes they have profound wisdom they wish to share and sometimes they can be goofy. Spirit is wonderful.
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/8/2008 5:03 AM (#5012 - in reply to #4901)

PhD Alumni

'Lifeforms' is an interesting evocation. Not many people have ever heard of the so called 'Orford Merman'.

Orford is a little town on the East Coast of England. There, in the 12th century, fishermen hauled from their nets a man who, though 'human in all his parts', also was covered in hair and had webbed hands and feet. He was taken captive in the town's tower, treated most barbarically, beaten and abused, so the story goes, but was taken out regularly in the sea, kept restrained in nets. There, he would catch fish and eat them with his bare ahnds, but would first, an interesting detail, wring out all the juice and water from the fish. It was on one of those outings, that this Orford Merman managed to esape, never to be seen again (phew!).

This a rather touching story, i feel. It is quite well attested, there is a statue in the town, and a web-site (?something like, the orford merman. co.uk, possibly, where the story is orally recited, written orginally by I think, Ralph de Coggeshall.)

I wonder what species he was? An amalgam? An alien entity? A last survivor of an Atlantean race? A human being who had made other choices ?

Interesting that there is a mermaid on the cover of Starlight e-zine.

See you at sea.

NothingEverything
Posted 5/8/2008 5:10 AM (#5014 - in reply to #4901)

UMS Student

Very interesting!!
Im on it!
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/8/2008 6:06 AM (#5017 - in reply to #5014)

PhD Alumni

Let me know what you think.

Not sure if it's coincidental, but around that area of Eastern England was one of the most significant, as yet not fully explained mass sighting of a UFO, in a place called Rendelsham Forest in 1980. Some recent reports suggest that was a hoax. But that's a long time after the 12th century (unless the Merman fell through a wormhole!)
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/8/2008 6:37 AM (#5018 - in reply to #4901)

PhD Alumni

Dear All - one ambition for every Englishman is to get a letter in The Times - so imagine my delight this week to get my second one in (6 May - www.timesonline.co.uk): a delight I hope you'll forgive my wanting share with ums kindred spirits [my first was last year, about Inca culture & their record keeping through knotted strings - quipu]. This one this week was in defence of sharks, who were being castigated for an increase in attacks....

Sir, Your article on shark attacks (May 1) did not mention another factor: shark feeding trips, when humans — usually in metal cages — descend in open water in order to experience the “thrill” of feeding sharks by luring them close with baited meat. Not only does this distort the shark’s natural feeding cycle, it also brings sharks closer to shoreline waters, while also associating human contact with food.

We should not demonise sharks, nor absolve ourselves from our contribution to affecting their behaviour.

Paul Thompson

London N2