snow angel
sunflower
Posted 4/24/2008 3:02 AM (#4598)
Subject: snow angel

Elite Veteran

Hi,i was just wodering about the effect snow has on people,children.as a whole.Its strange,how when a suden downfall of snow arrives.we all look out our windows in awe,and exitement,and the child in us comes out,we want to go snowballing,sledging,just put our footprints in an unwalked patch.Is it all the white we see,does this momentarily connect with our spirit side,the white light,etc,is it the child in us,as children are when young closer,more attached to spirit,we as adults therfore connect,momentarily with our spirit home,pure,all the same,as snow covers all ,the beauty and the ugly sites of everyday,and momentarily make all as one,with its white brightness,giving the illusion of pure unadulterated perfection.It lifts ones spirit,strangers become friends,as we throw snowballs at each other,we create snowmen,all in all we all link,in a warm frienly way,even animals delight in it.Then,when it becomes sludge,gritters come out to melt it,so we can use the roads etc,our initial first instinct,joy,pleasure beauty,turns to annoyance,the gray sludge stops us going to work,taking our cars out,tempers mount etc,the snow angel ,who visited us in the dark,disappears,and our inner spirit,initialy awakened with joy,turns to anger,frustration,and the everyday problems of life,jsut wondering what your initial reactions are,is it the inner child in us,that we so often ignore,and do not nurture,and nature reminding us of the real reason for spirit, the love,joy,oneness,we forget,as we are so bogged down with lifes problems luv and hugs to you x
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/24/2008 4:00 AM (#4601 - in reply to #4598)
Subject: RE: snow angel

PhD Alumni

Absolutely agree, Sunflower; I often think similar thoughts. Snow does seem to have a magic. As you suggest, for me in part its the hiding of the known and evoking whatever might be unknown. The everyday world suddenly seems (even more) mysterious & magical.

I also have this personal notion that the snowflake is one of the 'proofs of God'. Since each one of the infinite snowflakes that fall is unique in design and symmetry: who else but a magnificent Creator could put so much work and effort into such an ephemeral piece of nature, and indeed, who else would !?

Love abounding
Paul
Chotuni
Posted 4/24/2008 4:03 AM (#4602 - in reply to #4598)

Regular

I love snow, it is the only time my garden looks as good as everyone else's
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/24/2008 4:07 AM (#4604 - in reply to #4598)

PhD Alumni

Dear Chotuni

But maybe its a wilderness garden ... home to wildlife and weeds ? Ours is. But they get a bit unpopular ... !

It snows much less these days in UK. Worrying really.

Paul
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/24/2008 4:43 AM (#4606 - in reply to #4598)

PhD Alumni

... sorry to go on, and stop me if its tedious, but this evoked a wonderful memory of last year's snowfall here; waking at 6 am to see everything covered by the Angel, I dressed quickly, and walked (I usually drive because of distance & time) to a spring-fed pond where some of us swim year round (centre of London though!). The blizzarding was so bad I had to take off my specs., which the broke in my pocket. On the Heath, I came acrosss a trackless, snowy waste, then saw not far away, two foxes speaking to each other, up close, who scenting me, sped off in different directions. The workaday commuting drudge became a miraculous adventure....

Snow over and out
Paul
Kashia
Posted 4/24/2008 5:10 AM (#4608 - in reply to #4598)

I slipped on ice in January and fractured my shoulder while visiting my family in the mountains. After a week or so I moved alone into what I think of as a Hobbit House. The snow kept coming and pretty soon it had built up around nearly all windows, blocking my view to the outside. it came while I was in a state of surrender. reflected my inner state, peaceful, gently falling, quiet. I felt Mother Nature surrounding me in healing love. After a few months and a few warm spring days as I was healing the snow began to melt. I experienced this synchronicity of my nature and earths nature and the joy of being in that. The ground that had been covered in mounds of snow started appearing in spots, the green stems of flowering plants began coming out of the ground that was still surrounded and covered in snow, and I began to move my arm and shoulder a little more. Down the little road from where the Hobbit House is, on the main street, I began to see more hurried daily activity, people going faster down the streets as though they would make up for their illusion of time lost this winter. It was like viewing a distant reality I knew yet felt no need to be a part of. I could sit on the gift of occasional warm days outside and read. Now the flowers are just beginning to bloom, while I am feeling ready to begin studying at UMS.

Paul Joseph
Posted 4/24/2008 5:28 AM (#4609 - in reply to #4598)

PhD Alumni

Lovely story Kashia; reminded me of the scene from Dr Zhivago when the snow melts and spring comes to the little hut where, i only vaguely recall, Lara and Zhivago had wintered together.
Kashia
Posted 4/24/2008 12:05 PM (#4618 - in reply to #4598)

oh yes. wasn't that a beautiful scene in Dr Z. umm and I was inspired too by your story of your walk that morning. Our moments can become magical - sometimes sacred -when we slow down and get out of our busy mind. Snow helps us to slow. Snow angel...what a
nice story to have begun.
Tracy Martin
Posted 4/24/2008 12:13 PM (#4620 - in reply to #4598)

Alumni

I do love the freshly fallen snow and the deep hush that covers the land, and the blanketed gardens, but I must say that I am sooooooo happy that this year in California the only snow I saw was far far away on mountain tops. Hee-hee! My first winter without snow and ice and freezing temperatures!

Kashia, your healing story is so beautiful!

sunflower
Posted 4/25/2008 7:11 AM (#4661 - in reply to #4620)

Elite Veteran

hi tracey,yes i suppose if where you live,and there is snow in abundance,it must be a releif to see it go.We all have our favourite seasons,some are sun worshippers,others like the autumn,for the changing colours,and so on,i wonder if a person who is say a sun worshipper,declines all the other changing seasons,and can,t wait for their own personal time of preferred year to arrive,if this is the case,i feel sorry for them,as every season has its own beauty,and each reflects our inner change,maybe its connected with our star sign,although i am a leo,i am not a great fan of chasing the sun,my preference is the force of wind,rain,storms,i love being by the sea,espesialy on a stormy day,and se the power of the waves,similarly,in the forest,the swaying trees,so much life,forces of nature,a powerful thing
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/25/2008 8:04 AM (#4662 - in reply to #4598)

PhD Alumni

i have always been more of an autumn person; speaks to my melancholia. Also, the colours, the tempests, the wild winds, as Sunflower says, have a powerful energising force.

But more lately, I have come to welcome any weather and any season. There is a Zen poem, which I always get wrong, so make the bits up I cannot remember, but it is something like this:

In spring, garlands of blossom
In summer, thousands of flowers
In autumn, a harvest moon
In winter, snows will accompany you
When useless things do not hang in your mind
Any season is a good season for you

Chotuni
Posted 4/25/2008 5:15 PM (#4677 - in reply to #4604)

Regular

yes when the time is right it is a wilderness and as you say neighbours do not appreciate my regard for wildlife and eventually i have to conform.nice story about your commute to work in central london,sounds surreal
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/25/2008 5:22 PM (#4679 - in reply to #4677)

PhD Alumni

Good to hear from you Chotuni.

Please be assured, it is your neighbours' issues, not yours. The wildlife shall be your advocates in Heaven ! (some of us need as many advocates as we can get!)

When I was last in New York - 4/5 years ago I tried to find somewhere i could keep up my cold/open water swimming acclimatisation, but Manhatten provided no opportunities, so a trip on the Staten Island Ferry was the closest I got.

The commute was surreal. Thanks. Blessings to you.
Chotuni
Posted 4/27/2008 6:09 PM (#4761 - in reply to #4679)

Regular

i'm lucky that on my doorstep i have a wildlife park and a river runnig through it so that if i wanted i could swim to my hearts desire??????? ????????
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/28/2008 4:06 AM (#4779 - in reply to #4761)

PhD Alumni

Although swimming in open water one needs to be slightly wary of Weil's disease.

Apart from that, open water swimming always feels to me like being immersed in the Cosmic Mother's holy waters.