location location location
janiemac
Posted 4/19/2008 11:54 PM (#4485)
Subject: location location location

New user

I was born and am still in the deep south, which makes me feel "clogged" and/or "stuck". How does one who has never had the money to travel the country explore and determine the best location to live insofar as the flow of spirit and energy? I seem to have misplaced part of my spirituality over the years being bogged down here in the heat and humidity of the deep south. I love the outdoors but the weather here is not wonderful. This is not a religious issue for me, so please don't comment on that aspect. This is only an issue of being in a pleasant environment/atmosphere that would allow me to enjoy the weather and outdoors (which in itself would allow my worship to happily flow). Thank you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Supernatural3
Posted 4/20/2008 12:34 AM (#4495 - in reply to #4485)
Subject: RE: location location location

PhD Alumni

Welcome.....
I certainly understand where you are coming from. I have the extreme opposite. I am very Northern and it's cold and crappy. I feel stuck indoors for much of my life. Then when we do get summer, it's sometimes TOO hot to enjoy. It would be nice to have a medium place, where it's warm, and breezy.

However, i don't mind the weather 9 out of 12 months in Ohio. We do not get hurricanes, and rarely experience earthquakes, we do have to deal with tornado's and thunderstorms.... but the thunderstorms are beautiful for the most part.

I guess mentally, i can be anywhere, as I cannot afford to change my location either.

Ohio is my home, where i stay, until something changes.... i make it bliss.

Blessings~
schenn
Posted 4/20/2008 2:01 PM (#4514 - in reply to #4495)

I spent the last 7 years in the center of the cornfield that is Illinois. I had to go through a lot of drastic measures to get out so I understand your dilleama. You're in the south, there are a lot of really spiritual people there... theyre just hiding from persecution so you gotta look hard. But if you really want to get out, it costs 500 dollars in gas to drive in a 25 mpg car from Illinois to Oregon (via the southern route 10). Learn to leave behind material goods, they will only increase the cost of moving. (Uhaul gets 10 mpg and costs about a grand to use to go cost country not including gas. Its about 5K at that point)

In all honesty, by car it cost me about 2000 dollars to move. Relatively small amount of money considering it was cross country. That was gas, and first months rent, power, internet, phone and insurance. I did have to get a Uhaul in Nevada as I had a bad accident on my way, so my final count isnt perfect but you get the idea. It's not as bad as it seems. So if you can set aside 200 a month, you can do the same trip in 10 months.
My dad had a great philosophy regarding this subject. You can do things, try to get things fixed financially where you are, go where you want to go and start all over, or, go where you want to go and get things fixed there. I agree with him! It's better to go where you want to be and then get things fixed/perfected/whatever while youre there.

and if I had to recommend a place, my mom grew up in the mountains of North Carolina, she's said all her life that nowhere is as beautiful as that. She came to visit me in Portland, Oregon a couple months ago and said that it was the only other place in america shes been to that she can say is as beautiful as the mountains of NC. (in my opinon, I like it better... but thats me)

And not including the beauty, Portland has 2 major problems. an overabundence of intelligent people and a weak economy from the influx of californians who discovered our secret. (Portland is a secret, everyone outside OR and Northen Cali calls it seattle lol. Such a huge difference in the two cities) There is a spiritual shop on just about every corner, this week is the portland body mind spirit expo at the civic center. There people can get aura photographs, tarot readings and discover lots of new and interesting tidbits of information about reality. Lotsa fun.
Rose
Posted 4/20/2008 2:40 PM (#4515 - in reply to #4514)

Student

this is some good advice! I especially like the part about leaving material goods behind because they only increase your cost of moving.

Edited by Rose 4/20/2008 2:54 PM
mruppert
Posted 4/22/2008 10:50 AM (#4533 - in reply to #4485)

Helloooo to all:
     Why would anyone in the USA choose to stay in Louisiana?
So I thought on a hot, humid morning in Thibodaux. But over the course of a few days of wandering I experienced the magic of Cajun/Creole culture; ate a ton of good cookin'; struggled with an odd French language; and heard some of the greatest music I have ever heard! I wound up dancing, which I never do, and sang "Jolie Blon" the so called unofficial national anthem.
     As much as I fell in love with the ancient people of Arcadia (A-kah-di, as they say) I could not live there, as my books would mold very quickly in the humidity (yeah, I could run ac year round);  I don't think the cats would like the heat;  and I can't imagine what I might do for money.
     My point is, that each and every place has its own magic.
My former house on Lawyers Hill in Elkridge, MD was surrounded by old growth trees. The new owners sold off the back property and there are houses there now. As a matter of fact, there are houses everywhere up and down Lawyers Hill Road, but still no sidewalks and very few street lights. And, at the bottom of the road, towards Thomas Viaduct, there are still old growth trees, so tall that it defies imagination. I saw a herd of deer running around just a week ago. But, then, back to reality, as I drove down Levering to US1, and saw Commercial Tire, a gas station, a liquor store and Bella Mia Pizza...oh, and the "new" used car dealer and a bodyshop to fix dents and dings.
     Everywhere you go, there is good and bad. Everywhere you go there is the magical and the mundane.
     Oh yes, Jillsy, even someplace like Akron...think of the very talented musicians that came from there....
     You don't get "spiritualized" because you live in Portland or Bath or Glastonberry or Katmandu. It is not a place, it is a state...of mind!

Peace to you all,
Marty and Sedantary Cats, Luck, Popp, and Siss
schenn
Posted 4/22/2008 1:57 PM (#4546 - in reply to #4533)

exactly, spirit is within, not without! :-)
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/24/2008 7:31 AM (#4614 - in reply to #4485)

PhD Alumni

I do not like travelling, for various, i now understand, various karmic reasons. I was brought up in the English rural Midlands, untouched by the 20th century, Hobbit-like. When we visited Kenya in 2005, i had a premonition and sure enough, the first day there, my father in England died. But when we visited Peru in 2006, on the bus as we rounded into view of Macchu Picchu, i turned to my wife and an ancient voice spoke through me, shivering, saying, 'this is like coming home'. Past life travels were then to take me back to times when I died there ....

I feel that there is a spirit of place. Try visiting Auschwhitz. There is a, I think, Greek, or ancient, word for 'spirit of place', but despite a quick internet search, cannot track it down. Feng Shui and Geomancy have something to say about it.

So i feel that spirit is within and without ... how to divine where is right for one ? Intuition, i guess, listening to one's inner voice, meditate on past lives (like Buddha !) ...

Although ultimately, I tend to agree, that any journey out is, at root, a journey in. So why move from the (Bodhi) tree ?!
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/24/2008 11:11 AM (#4617 - in reply to #4485)

PhD Alumni

The word I might have been looking for is, Nemeton, Celtic for sacred place, place of sanctuary, somewhere one could not have been pursued ... I seem to remember it as another word, but after much internet trekking (some fascinating links, pictures and sites if you key in such phrases as, spirit of place, sacred places, etc), this is the nearest to what I was trying to remember ... i note janiemac did not want religion commented on; but hope these reflections have assisted a little.
Chotuni
Posted 4/27/2008 1:00 PM (#4743 - in reply to #4485)

Regular

i was told to never own more than you can carry in two bags,works for me.
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/27/2008 1:05 PM (#4745 - in reply to #4743)

PhD Alumni

Sounds very wise Chotuni - is that why you live in 'Saddle'-brook ?!

Also reminded me of a Chinese saying i heard once, if a man chases after two rabbits, he will lose both (though I can see that's a different point!)

mruppert
Posted 5/10/2008 12:04 AM (#5075 - in reply to #4743)

Chow.......
     I wish I could be two bags and go!
     But, I've got 3,000 books and 3 cats (at the moment). Moving the books was costly, time consuming, and tedious. Moving 4 cats (at the time) was traumatic!
     Over the years I have found that cats do not like to move!!
     And so, I admire your free spirit,  but I can only wish but  never share that spirit.

Peace,
Marty and Homebound Kittys, Lucky, Poppy and Sissygirl
NothingEverything
Posted 5/10/2008 3:56 AM (#5091 - in reply to #4485)

UMS Student

I love cats, my cat Max (Abyssinian), who was a very interesting character, and a warrior of a cat, died before i joined the military over 6 years ago.
I haven't had any pets since, but mostly because I am so itinerant right now.
Its true, pets do not like to move!
I'll have to wait to satisfy my gypsy fever before i make a new friend.
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/14/2008 8:37 AM (#5246 - in reply to #5091)

PhD Alumni

Dipped in and out of your last post on this NE and it just feels like it needs a response ... poems always seem to become evoked (must be your love of poetry seeping through the ether) - do you know,

"Friends and loves we have none,
nor home, nor blessed abode;
but the hope of the City of God
at the other end of the road ..."

by John Masefield (cannot recall the title, but I can track it down if full version of interest) ?
mruppert
Posted 5/18/2008 12:42 AM (#5449 - in reply to #4485)
Subject: RE: location location location-Cats???????

Hi NTET.....
     I love Abys, the most statuesque of cats, better than Siamese. The only cat I ever "purchased" was a Ragdoll named Tippy (with a "propah" pedigree) for my little girl, rest her soul.
     The breed is true to everything that you read on the internet about them, and may also well be true about the claim the lady in Cali who started the breed made in her declining years......that she had bred "alien" blood into them. A very strange cat, indeed.
      Tipster went to Isis, along with Charmy, who is Poppy's sister and Lucky's daughter. Sometimes, I wonder if they are still alive and happy!

Peace,
Marty and Luckylee, Poppyhead, and SissyGirl, eternally Kool Kats!
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/22/2008 5:00 PM (#5627 - in reply to #4514)

PhD Alumni

Ohh hum ... this post seems to have gone into suspended animation ... wonder if it needs some help to move on ... the other day i had a few moments and went back and tried to read threads since the site came up, then stopped, as there were so many great posts, I was overwhelmed by where to start and how far to go back. So much eminence there ...So I relapsed and re-visited the comments here in a moment of reflection and noticed that Schenn referred to living in the middle of a cornfield .. then wondered if Schenn, or anyone else, had ever seen any crop circles ? I was born and brought up in the countryside and never saw one. But that was so long ago that noone might have known how to discern them ( i am very very old - maybe even older than Marty ... Ha!). There still seems to be dispute/debate as to whether they are human made, faery visitations, from inside or outside the earth, ufo, etc

Good humouredly yours

Paul
Rose
Posted 7/15/2008 7:15 PM (#7260 - in reply to #4514)

Student

I've read your last several post and you've been in rare form...great humor to say the least. Something wonderful going on with you in your part of the world...share Paul....
Paul Joseph
Posted 7/16/2008 10:29 AM (#7268 - in reply to #7260)

PhD Alumni

How so very ncie of you to discern and say that Rose ... in fact, how the reflected vibrations bely the truth .... I am going through huge, pained turmoil in just about every direction .... but there does feel to be good energy around here. I wish you well in your odysseys in the Starlight Journal xx