time to hang back
sunflower
Posted 4/19/2008 1:10 PM (#4473)
Subject: time to hang back

Elite Veteran

hello paul joseph,mruppet,etc,it seems i have offended some who think i am always online,and taking over,this may seem to be the case,but it is not my intention,i have been into spirit from an early age,and receive much information,i also write spiritual poetry,for my own use,i send it to family and friends,when they are in pain,or trouble,i receive these poems in the early hours of the morning,so i am online a lot,i find writng draining,so to swith off,i come to this site,to rest my busy mind.In order not to become a nuisance,i will now hold back,and leave this forum to evolve,it is a good and interesting forum,i will miss it,but,i will carry on the work i was intended to do,may love and light be with you always,and your quest for knowledge,be fulfilled,bye for now x
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/19/2008 7:08 PM (#4474 - in reply to #4473)
Subject: RE: time to hang back

PhD Alumni

Sorry then to see you go - 'twas nice to commune over the ether ... whose offended though ? !! If you can change your mind, please do !

Blessings xx

Paul
ongoingbattle
Posted 4/22/2008 10:02 AM (#4531 - in reply to #4473)

We'll miss you sunny! thanks for all the thought provoking input! Truth love and peace be with you!
mruppert
Posted 4/22/2008 12:48 PM (#4537 - in reply to #4473)

Sunn, sunn, sunn......
     My friends went to Blackpool and didn't go up the tower! So, what was the point of the trip?
     I am not in the least bit offended!
     You have the time to respond quickly, so what of it?
     At my University (the one I am employed by) we are primarily online, since we are worldwide. As a necessity, we have to use "chat" to duplicate the classroom experience. Over the years, I have identified three categories of students:
      The first: always seem to be online and respond tit for tat with what others, always online,  say.
      The second: online as required and participate as needed.
      The Third: online rarely and overwhelmed by what has preceded them.
       I don't detect any difference in these forums. The ones who seem to be online all of the time tend to be dominant...and there is no negativity about that...other than they tend to direct the flow of posts to more immediate responses and that, in and of itself, does not allow other, less frequent, posters to gather all that has been said, without the considerable expenditure of time, which may be precious to some.
      As a classroom teacher, and by the way, that is not my primary job, but only a sideline that I inherited from someone else; I have to let the classroom dialogue flow freely...oftentimes to heated debate. I cannot stifle this, as this is how people "learn"; not just subject matter, but more subtle things....such as interpersonal relationships.
     The only time I step in and put a stop to it, is when debates take on personal attacks, much the same as society functions as a whole, i.e. to stop Alice from punching Bob in the nose, because Alice doesn't like what Bob is saying.
      In these forums, I post a lot of stuff which some consider nonsense. Some vocal persons respond, others just ignore what I say. That is no reflection on my self worth or theirs..it is just the way life is.
      To crystallize what I am trying to say, I have to use an example.....and so DocJ....you are my victim!
      Jill, notwithstanding her role as moderator, is a frequent responder. I perceive that she does so because she honestly tries to help us by virtue of any knowledge, experience, guidance and, yes, wisdom that she might have. I was intimidated by her at first! But, over time, I have (at least I hope I have) become a good friend. This does not mean that I agree with any and every thing she says......at times I totally disagree. But, she has shown respect for my views and has my respect for hers. As an added bonus, we have found that we have a lot in common, so much so, that if we had (or would have) met in face to face time, we might be well be natural friends, and not just friends via electronic contrivance.
     And, this happens between me and so many others here on the UMS website; as I am sure happens with so many others that I don't know about.
      In conclusion, I would say that to put yourself in a self imposed exile is like going to Blackpool and not going up the tower. Sure, it is a "hols" place, and many go quite routinely....but it is the view from the top that gives it the special magic that it has.
      I am an "academic" and older than most....I cannot afford to waste time on things that have no value. Also, I do not pay to be here, I am here by the grace of UMS, and abide by the policies that UMS has stated. Might I enroll as a student?Maybe!
Do I think that a UMS degree has any value in my work world, that of USM (University System of Maryland).....none whatsoever! BUT, do I, personally, find value in what UMS is?
I do and that is why I am here.
      I am a member of North American MENSA,  (for many years) which supposedly makes me highly intelligent...but when I have tried to talk with fellow Mensans about things of metaphysical nature, they laugh at me. The Brit MENSA is a little bit quirkier, and more accepting. But my group thinks how stupid I am.....and all I can say is for being as smart as they are, they are pretty dumb!!!!!!!!!
      I await your reply, Solar;
Sincerely yours,
Marty and basque basket cats,
schenn
Posted 4/22/2008 2:12 PM (#4547 - in reply to #4473)

I'm not offended either hun. And I meant none as well so please don't feel as though we're butting heads :-)

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Edited by schenn 4/22/2008 2:15 PM
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/22/2008 4:34 PM (#4555 - in reply to #4473)

PhD Alumni

Nice to be in contact with everyone here too; I am also a registered UMS student, and do not know if the course is recognised 'over here', (wherein is Blackpool!); but I found ums because it was/is the only place doing this kind of disciplined spiritual offering. I think it was Churchill who said that Britian and America were two countries divided by the same language, so i hope I am not creating too many waves either. As it happens I am qualified in social work, psychotherapy and teaching also; but not a member of MENSA ...
Supernatural3
Posted 4/22/2008 7:20 PM (#4557 - in reply to #4473)

PhD Alumni

I have found there are times when I need to hang back too. I am on here, A LOT! Less in the last few days, because of health issues, but that is going better now.

I am sure many of us will always have our own opinions... but that is what is nice about agreeing to disagree. We don't HAVE to be right or wrong. Sometimes I love my little dilussional world, while it keeps me protected from wanting to take it out on others.

Sure I get my emotions stomped on, just like anyone else..... the last thing i ever wanted was to ever intimidate anyone. I also remember when Marty and I seemed to be butting heads.... but then i learned respect, different perspectives, and something more than an educated guess. Then, it's like a click.... like he said. Wow... i would give him a big hug, if I saw him in person. Along with many others here, that i personally hope to meet in person some day.

I consider this forum my extended family. It's technically the only forum that i check on this much. I don't even check on my own as much as I do this one. LOL, I guess it's because I can relate so much here.

HUGS

mruppert
Posted 4/22/2008 8:37 PM (#4563 - in reply to #4473)

Hi all:
     Paul, forget about the MENSA nonsense. They are people I don't associate with, I just used it to make a point to someone whom I will dance with, if my sincere invitation is accepted.
      As truth be told, I can barely add 2 and 2 and arrive at 4. Numbers mean nothing to me, and the more I see on a page the more anxious I get.....I struggle to balance my checkbook....thanks to "on high" for calculators!
       Blackpool....well go up the coast above Wales past Liverpool, past MersySide, past Lyntham(sp?) St Anne towards the "aye laddie" bonnie Scotland.And, there's your Uncle Bob....Blackpool by the sea....but it is an ocean!!!!!!

Your friend,
Marty and Bonnie lasses, LuckymacCat, PoppymacKitten, and SissymacNessie, monstrous to be sure...aye....hoot mon!
sunflower
Posted 4/23/2008 3:33 AM (#4565 - in reply to #4537)

Elite Veteran

master muppet,your friend didn,t go to the tower because he,s already seen the view from the top,so he decided to go to see the lights,much more uplifting.According to you,i must be dominant then,i,am not inexile,i,m just sitting back,reading the posts,with interest,some,your letters are so long,it takes me half a day 2 understand the lingo,but for all that,your a pearl,ok,thats it,i,m off,must work out what my iQ is,i,moff to dance in the moonlite,bye the way,thank you those who replied,such a lovely warm,kind friendly bunch,honest,i mean it, beleive it or not,ye who doubt,i love this forum,and have learned a lot,and can feel the love within the group,thats what is needed so much more,in this world,love,and frienships,hands across the sea,luv and hugs,bye fr now x
Rose
Posted 4/23/2008 5:32 AM (#4566 - in reply to #4537)

Student

Well I find it amusing that your Mensa brothers and sisters say you're silly for entertaining ideas of metaphysics. I look at all the wonderful minds that we call great in this country and then I look at the results of a multi trillion dollar deficit. Any one of us would be looked down upon if were behind on a debt for $500, but our nations leaders have put us trillions into debt and only make interest payments and we call them GREAT! BRILLIANT!.....really makes you wonder doesn't it? And I look at the results of families who are suffering now for generations because of the great Ivy League minds who ran Enron. Then I look at the millions who are losing their homes this year alone because of the wonderful brilliance of our Mortgage bankers and Loan "sellers", and then I look at all the dead bodies of those coming back from Iraq due to the wonderful brilliance in our congress and the white house. And after all this brilliance we are still facing economic disaster, higher gas prices, no answer's to our public health insurance issues and our brilliant representatives are "staying the course". All this brilliance seems to point into one direction of excellence: we've learned to breed brilliant criminals. We've bred bigger, better, criminals that commit crimes against their fellow men and women everyday. They continually ride the backs of the average American and steal then call the average American a victim of their own "ignorance". The only ignorance I can find is "our own accepted definition of what brilliance is and what brilliance should be producing."

So you decide that you want to entertain a more spiritual line of thought and your Mensa brothers and sisters say you're not being intelligent. Perhaps we, as a nation, should start to redefine what we consider intelligent to be. And start holding intelligence accountable for producing results. Just because we label a thing as such doesn't make it true. It just means that "it's been labeled". Just because I label a tree "cow" does not in any way mean that it's going to produce milk no matter how many trees I label as "cows". Year after year I will only end up with a bunch of trees labeled cow and no results for milk. Year after year we label these individuals as "brilliant leaders". Year after year we end up with more labeled brilliant leaders feeding off of the big salaries and working about an 1/8th of the time of an average worker in this country, but making about 10 times more than the average worker in this country. And year after year we have more of these labeled heads of states and NO RESULTS. They are not yielding any milk!

Love and Peace to you....
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/23/2008 2:30 PM (#4584 - in reply to #4473)

PhD Alumni

Dear Rose

Maybe - emotional intelligence ? Or even, spiritual intelligence. Or even better, perhaps, miraculous intelligence ... what might that look like ?!!

I remember when Ghandi was asked what he thought of Western civilization, his reply was something like, 'That would be a very good idea'.

Dear Marty

Fascinating journey up the west coast of Britain... funny thing is, I did have an Uncle Bob who lived and died of being a working man, that was in South Shields, border territory; whilst I have a surviving Uncle Bob, a surviving, retired working (ex-miner) in the English Midlands.

Not sure anyone else is bothered about personal antecedents, except, interesting evocations from Marty's reflections ... serendipity rules !

Exit pursued by a bear
Paul
Rose
Posted 4/23/2008 11:40 PM (#4596 - in reply to #4473)

Student

Dear Paul Joseph, thanks for the feedback. Very well put.

I've often mentioned the difference between emotional intelligence and spiritual intelligence. These are great matters to contemplate and to learn more about.

I like Ghandi's response, it's accurate. Western civilization remains an ideal that, if it ever got off the ground, it did so many decades ago and for a short period of time. Now it remains just an ideal that most of the leaders and visionaries haven't a clue about.

Look at our money "IN GOD WE TRUST". It doesn't feel or appear that we are trusting in GOD. How many times do we see our leaders approaching issues with this lead, "we are going to pray and trust God to...."

I bet we would all be floored to see and hear a leader, in this country open up a national address to a domestic or foreign problem with that prelude.

Love and Peace....Goodnight all
Kashia
Posted 4/24/2008 3:38 AM (#4599 - in reply to #4473)

Sunshine, if you are still here.

I am new here so have not followed your posts poems or your (believed) purposed offenses.

But I just wanted to say I appreciate the openness of unique people truth tellers and travelers, I hope you
remember..We all belong here... so here or there, may you have a blessed journey and hope you pass this way again.

And I believe it was Marty that said
quote:
I am a member of North American MENSA, (for many years) which supposedly makes me highly intelligent...but when I have tried to talk with fellow Mensans about things of metaphysical nature, they laugh at me...
(reply)
"Humanity is going to need a substantially new way of thinking if it is to survive!" (Albert Einstein) l
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/24/2008 4:04 AM (#4603 - in reply to #4473)

PhD Alumni

Dear Rose - Thanks muchly ...

Dear Kashia - absolutely ... was it Einstein who said, 'God doesn't play dice' ?!

Dear Supernatural3 - I know what you mean about this site becoming consumingly engrossing ....

Namaste

Paul
Rose
Posted 4/24/2008 1:15 PM (#4627 - in reply to #4599)

Student

Wow Kashia, thanks for sharing this qoute. I firmly believe in what Einstein said.

Why are so many people asleep? I feel as though America needs to be awaken! Is it television putting so many in a trance like state?

Today Fox News reported something disturbing about John Mc Cain. He's getting $50,000 a year tax free disability. Now here's the disturbing part they reported. They claim he's healthy as a horse, has climbed Mt. Everest...etc...But they also reported that his injuries were due to mental issues because he was tortured during his military service.

Does anyone else find this as disturbing as I do? If he has such serious mental and emotional issues then why is he being considered for presedency? And if he claims that he's not suffering from these mental and emotional issues then why is he continuing to get $50,000 a year tax free disability?

I hope someone has an answer for this disturbing news. I just want Americans on a whole to wake up and start asking some critically important questions. Like why are our administrators and public servants riding our backs like we're all mules?

Paul Joseph
Posted 4/24/2008 5:13 PM (#4630 - in reply to #4473)

PhD Alumni

Aaah now dear Rose - your mention of the word 'asleep' brought to my mind dear old G I Gurdjieff. He firmly spoke of humankind being 'asleep', all of us, and he 'war against sleep' was one of the most important and difficult tasks.

TV, perhaps computers (and am writing on one), PC games (let's pend the debates from other threads just now?! please?) all give me the sense too of our becoming mesmerised by layers of illusion, overlaying even the illusion of our 'real' world existence.

We become lost in a myriad of miasma. Which, perhaps too, we have chosen to work with. Except we so easily forget that. Right on, Rose.
Blessed Be
Paul