Do you have a spirit animal?
Metatron
Posted 1/28/2008 11:55 AM (#3545)
Subject: Do you have a spirit animal?

Do you have a spirit animal? An animal that you feel connected to, or have had unusual encounters with or have had recurring dreams about.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
hannah28
Posted 1/28/2008 4:12 PM (#3554 - in reply to #3545)
Subject: RE: Do you have a spirit animal?

As a teen, I had a dog that I felt spiritually connected to. I had several dreams that I was him, looking through his eyes and experiencing things as he would.
Tracy Martin
Posted 1/28/2008 6:22 PM (#3557 - in reply to #3545)

Alumni

In one of the UMS course meditations about meeting one's Guides I was clearly connected to an old cat I had twenty years ago. She provides me with a feeling of gentle companionship, unconditional love and devotion. To get to that connection, I often find that I have to dive through some feelings of grief, but there she is, she has never left me.

Birds, jays, ravens and crows in particular have also been special to me. When I see one I automatically think "Hello, little sister." They have warned me several times in my life about severe thunderstorms approaching - the kind with lightning flashing a few feet away.
Supernatural3
Posted 1/28/2008 7:55 PM (#3560 - in reply to #3545)

PhD Alumni

I have only had a ghost cat for a while. The only type of cat I can have. I do have dogs, not sure if i have a spiritual connection really.
I wish i wasn't allergic to animals. I cannot really get close to them.

John W. Kelly
Posted 1/28/2008 8:26 PM (#3564 - in reply to #3545)

Regular

I have a Basset hound thats always hungry!
mruppert
Posted 1/30/2008 4:37 AM (#3574 - in reply to #3545)

Jeez.....I wish this would not have come up!
     I have had various cats since I was 17 and in my first year in college. I was highly allergic to (Inky... Inkspot, my name for her)  but I agreed to take  her for a week for my girlfriend Marcy, and shared the company of Inky until I became, all of a sudden, 47 years old. It took about a week to get over the allergy, and it took about a week to grow fond of my little black cat. It took about two months to know that Marcy was not going to come and get her cat;  BUT only two weeks to know that Marcy was no longer my girlfriend. It took several more months for me to realize that Inky was pregnant, but when you see kittens about their Mom, there is no denying it! Silly me! Didn't know a pregnant cat!!
     Meta, don't get nervous...Inky lived about 30 human years. She has, virtually, been with me most of my growing life. But, when she was in the last year, she "smelled" of death, if you can understand what I mean. Sure, she had kidney problems at about 27, but she was alive and vibrant, could jump from the floor to the top of the refrigerator, so I just fed her a special diet and hoped for the best. I don't know whether it is cruel or humane, but I (personally) cannot take an animal to a strange, frightening place, and in the last moment of life have that animal only see a strange and frightening environment.
     I did not know whether she suffered, I can only think that I would rather suffer at home in my final times, rather than in some antispetic, cold, and unfamiliar hospital; and she might have had a small comfort in that she died at home, though home changed thrice.
     My youngest is about 10 or 11 now (SissyGirl, an adopted cat from a guy at work who named her Sissy). My elder two are about 22, I can't tell as I trapped Luckylee, as she was abandoned by her former family in the woods behind my old house, was young and feral, and had a deep gash in her throat. And, had just given birth to kittens as the vet told me. He said, go out and look for her kittens, as they must be around the house somewhere, or she wouldn't stay so close to your house as she does. Well, I found them in a small sill underneath the crawl space window.
     Because of an unfortunate turn of events, I  wound up with GirlySue, Luckylee, and Poppyhead. GirlySue, was for a time, contemporaneous with Inky. She died on January 5th of last year, in her late 20's. Charmy, Tippy and Foxy (she is not a cat, but a Pomeranian) went elsewhere.
      My cats tend to live very long times.Because they do, I get to know them very well, not just as my cats, but as cats in general.
      Now, to say that I "feel" connected to cats is to understate how I really relate, see, and view them. To say that I know of the history of the perception of cats, from goddesses to the tools and instruments of the devil is to be aware of the truth.
       But, as much as I know about them, and that is a considerable amount, I still do not know what it is that they "see" when they stare at a (to me) blank spot of the wall.
      They mimic the behaviours of their bigger cousins and ancient ancestors, but they could no more survive outdoors than a man on the moon without a pressure suit. For, they have never been outside, except for Luckylee, and it has been about 21 years since she has.
      As much as they are independent of me, they need me to feed them.
      Finally, there is nothing better than to have, on a chilly night, a bunch of cats sprawled around you, sharing body warmth, and purring.....a sound which is more hypnotic, more spiritual, than any meditation in the world. The sound of a cat's purr is transcending and mystical.
Peace to all who read this,
Marty and, of course, Luckylee, Poppyhead and SissyGirl!      
debbiek
Posted 2/9/2008 1:53 PM (#3633 - in reply to #3545)

I am now and always have been deeply connected to all of my pets, especially my dogs. I have mental conversations with them and even have nicknamed my oldest dog, "Angel Goddess Queen of the World" because of her inner wisdom and abundant love. I realize not many people think of animals in this way, but as native americans respected the wisdom of animals i do too
lgard
Posted 2/9/2008 2:08 PM (#3634 - in reply to #3545)

My wife and I have two cats that we love dearly, and we also have a ghost cat that appears often in our peripheral vision in our apartment. It's a black cat named Minuit (french for "midnight") we had for almost 16 years. After she passed on four years ago, we started catching these brief glimpses of her in the corner of our eyes. We feel her presence, and it's comforting to know she's around.
SouthernCrow
Posted 2/21/2008 5:03 AM (#3682 - in reply to #3545)

My spirit animal is the crow. They are shy but intelligent gothic birds. I believe the crow fits in with my astrological character type of a sun in libra and moon in scoprio. Libra giving the connection to air and birds and scorpio the gothic influence. I got interested in spirit animals from reading aboriginal mythology and in 1996 one day while I was out in nature I ask myself what totem animal I had. As soon as I asked the question I felt a strong surge coming from within me but not from my conscious mind it came from somewhere else and the word crow came from my mouth . It was a bizarre experience as if another spirit had entered my body and given me the answer. When I did the daimon questionaire on the Golden Compass movie website, a 20 question quiz mine came out the crow. Some people believe your spirit animal can change but from what I could tell from the aboriginal legends they believe you had one for life. I still think mine is still the crow. Having that said that I still interpret the sighting of any animal as a divine sign and try to uncover the meaning.
MollyB
Posted 3/5/2008 12:50 PM (#3767 - in reply to #3682)

Student

Hi SouthernCrow,

I too have always felt a kinship with crows and have had the Spirit of one with me for about 20 years now. In my experience (my own and what I've learned from my
clients) I've seen Spirit animals that have been with a person throughout their entire lifetime and others who have come and gone according to what guidance the person needed
at that time. This leads me to believe we have both a constant animal guide and others who come in as needed.

Molly =)

P.S. I also have a scorpio moon, so there may be a correspondence there?

Edited by MollyB 3/5/2008 12:51 PM
Louise
Posted 3/11/2008 10:20 PM (#3802 - in reply to #3545)

UMS Student

Hi there - since I was a child, I have always felt a connection with Koala Bears. It's kind of one of those things that I just 'know' because I can't rationalise it. Whether they provide me guidance, I'm not sure and I haven't yet met one in a meditation. They tend to be eagles. It could even been an interaction from a previous life! I haven't yet managed to meet one in the fur, but I have adopted one so I can at least send some financial energy their way...) It's great to have a heartfelt connection with other forms of life, regardless!

Edited by Louise 3/11/2008 10:21 PM
debsceleb
Posted 3/21/2008 8:59 PM (#3942 - in reply to #3545)

hi,i was told my spiriual animal was a deer,so i talk to him when i,m low,call him bambi,great comfort.I have had dogs and cats throughout my life,i now have 2 small cavaliers,so special,loyal and loving.They constantly look around the room,and seem to see something i can,t.their eyes follow,i know they are seeing spirit,on occassion they have raised their hackles,and growled,minutes before,i have felt a presence around me,not a nice one,but i feel protected by my dogs.My theory is animals are sent to us at certain times in our life for a special purpose,when that purpose has been fulfilled they move on.I also think dogs,cats,have more intelligence,knowledge,etc,than us humans,if only they could talk,theyd teach us loads,this applies to all animals,in the wild also.I feel very moved when i see a programme on telly,about nature,animals in the wild,and how they care for their young,they do it naturaly,an instinctively,with such gentle caring and loving,true dedication.love to all
aremac6
Posted 3/21/2008 9:40 PM (#3944 - in reply to #3545)

New user

AT A WORKSHOP AT MY LOCAL SPIRITUALIST CHURCH I HAD TO TRY TO CONNECT WITH MY SPIRIT ANIMAL. I SAW IN MY MINDS EYE A GRIZZLY BEAR AND ACTUALLY FELT HIM DRAPED AROUND MY SHOULDERS.FOR SOME REASON WHENEVER I ASK HIM HIS NAME I GET "DAVE" PUT INTO MY MIND.THIS MAY SOUND PRETTY WEIRD BUT I ASSURE YOU ALL IT IS ABSOLUTELY TRUE.HE IS OF GREAT COMFORT TO ME IN TIMES OF STRESS AND I NEVER FEEL ALONE AS LONG AS HE IS WITH ME.
THANK YOU AND BLESS YOU DAVE.
LOVE AND LIGHT TO ALL.