I am curious about UMS and the studies.
Austin
Posted 1/6/2008 10:53 AM (#3398)
Subject: I am curious about UMS and the studies.

Hello out there... I have been curious for many years about the metaphysical way. I was born and raised in a loosely Christian family and always felt there was something else that I needed to explore. When I left the nest I was drawn to a "Born Again Christian" group and found the level of sprituality to be intoxicating but somewhat judgemental. While in this group I began to Speak in Tongues and my Speak sounded very much like some Native American language. This brought me to the possibility of many inter-connected and overlapping religions. Since that time (20 years or so) I have read a few books, dabbled in meditation, made my own prayer drum, tried to do some journeying and continue to speak in tongues when the Spirit calls but have no real inner direction for myself. As I was searching away on the net I discovered this site and read through it with some degree of excitement and a bit of wariness. I am not sure if my walk on this path is strong enough to start this program since I'm such a newbie. A bit of info from those that are currently walking it or have completed the course would be very helpful. Info like where you started from, mentally speaking or what were the biggest obstacles you faced in making the decision. Did you try other avenues before jumping into the course? How did you find some clarity on which direction you really needed to go? I guess all these questions are answered differently by everyone but I think they would benefit me in many ways. Thanks for your time.
Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jody
Posted 1/17/2008 1:59 PM (#3484 - in reply to #3398)
Subject: RE: I am curious about UMS and the studies.

Student

Hello Paul,
The best answer I can come up for you is to ask another question. How do you feel when you think about enrolling here at UMS?

Before I enrolled I researched many schools that teach metaphysics. The course descriptions at UMS excited me because I had already been studying many of them on my own. My Guides and my Angels also helped me make the decision to enroll. Although I have not been enrolled for a very long time I am enjoying the courses and the slow path I am taking to reach my destination.

To answer your question as to what path I walk I can tell you that I am an inspirational writer and teacher. When I say this I mean that I write what I am learning to teach others and I do receive help inspirationally to get the ideas in my head out on paper. I am also skilled in divination meaning I can find answers to my own questions using oracle cards, books and other means.

Right now I am not working in the metaphysical field but I do plan to when my youngest child is old enough to care mostly for himself. Right now my work is my writing and my learning. My goal is to help others find their true selves and to live in peace and harmony with who they really are.

There are many reasons besides my own that someone would choose to enroll here as you said. I think it is very important to find your own reason and decide what path you will take if you enroll. There are many branches on this path, many choices for you to make to direct yourself to your goal. What path are you taking and how will you get there?
Supernatural3
Posted 1/17/2008 3:07 PM (#3487 - in reply to #3398)

PhD Alumni

Hello Paul, Welcome to our forum.
You asked for info like where we started from, mentally speaking or what were the biggest obstacles we faced in making the decision? Did you try other avenues before jumping into the course? How did you find some clarity on which direction you really needed to go? I guess all these questions are answered differently by everyone but I think they would benefit me in many ways.

I am a graduate here and it's not the first metaphysical school I studied. But by far it's the best. Mentally speaking the biggest obstacle was most likely me justifying to my family, why i wanted to study metaphysics. But then I realized, i don't have to justify anything. I did it for myself. They didn't understand it, because they too are Christian based, which i felt very limited in. I can only say, I needed it for myself, to try to understand why spiritual events happened to me. I had many psychic and precognative events that made me believe there has to be some other kind of intelligence bigger than just me. I feel the UMS courses are built for each individuals needs to get what they need personally (customized), instead of what UMS thinks you need. I did start in other places, and courses, that seemed to be far fetched, but still good. Just not fulfilling, as they were here at UMS. UMS doesn't push any specific belief system, but alows you to find your own answers using modalities that they teach.

It's been a blessing, in more ways than one.
Blessings~
Tracy
Posted 1/17/2008 3:58 PM (#3488 - in reply to #3398)

Student

Hi Austin. I started UMS thinking that I knew a little bit about most of the courses and learned a whole lot more than I expected. I actually knew from the moment I saw the catalog that this was the school for me. It had all the subjects that I was interested in. I did look around briefly at other metaphysical schools but none seemed to offer as much comprehensive variety as this. The work has been so personally meaningful to me and having finished my Bachelor's I feel more balanced, confident, and peaceful. There was no real obstacle, just choosing a payment plan that works for me, and having some confidence that I would be able to complete a thesis and dissertation. The meditations that go along with many of the courses have guided me into deeply transformative experiences.
Tracy Martin
Posted 1/17/2008 4:09 PM (#3489 - in reply to #3398)

Alumni

Hi! I am a staff member and a student here at UMS. I decided to enroll after meeting many of the researchers and writers and Christine Breese. Being surrounded by such peaceful, gentle, thoughtful people made it an even easier choice! The courses are intriguing, the meditations are wonderful. There are so many different levels of metaphysical knowledge among our student body, from beginners to practitioners who have been in the metaphysical field for decades. I have the pleasure of working with the exams and exercises that students submit and it is so inspiring to hear what happens for them in their studies.  We get a lot of positive feedback from our graduates too. Well, I hope more students will respond to you Austin. Peace! Tracy
mruppert
Posted 1/19/2008 12:48 AM (#3490 - in reply to #3398)

Hello to you Austin/Paul,
     Just so you know a little about how I see things, I am a Roman Catholic, Rosicrucian, and a student of all things metaphysical, preternatural, supernatural and occult. I don't see any contradiction in any of things that I believe and study, as a matter of fact, I see a unity amongst them.
    However, I do "train" (not teach) at a state university, so I can say that if you do pursue courses here, at UMS, you will get as much as you put in. This is true of any student, whether it be here or at Harvard, or MIT.
    Having said that, you are going to find two unique things. The first is that you will find courses that are not found in very many other places....there are some...but not many, as a matter of fact, a miniscule number.
     The second thing you will find is that there is a vibrant community, that you are part of; and that is like minded with you, me, and all others....so much so, that we can argue, without any fear, points of view, knowing that we all seek the same things in life, no matter how we perceive life to be, whatever and wherever life is.
      It is a very nice feeling to be able to express oneself in a company of  fellow seekers/travelers.
     Sure, one might be ill received for a particular statement, and lambasted, but that is what LIFE is about; and that is how we learn.
I wish you a cornucopia of luck,
Marty and his comatose cats, Luck, Pop, and Siss
Austin
Posted 1/19/2008 9:53 AM (#3494 - in reply to #3398)

Thank you all for your insight. I hear the common thread that everyone is different in their needs but all have a higher calling driving on the yearn to learn. I will keep in touch and continue to read the forums and see what direction my inner self decides to take me. I'll watch from the wings for a while and then take it from there. Thanks again for the response and I look forward to dialog in the future.
Paul
Absolute Sovereigncy
Posted 1/22/2008 8:51 PM (#3500 - in reply to #3398)

Student

I just came acoss the UMS website a few days ago and had no intention of enrolling. The next day as I explored a little more extensively -- "Ka-boom!" I decided to enroll around the end of February when my finances will loosen up a bit to cover the full tuition. I already have a Bachelors degree and a Masters degree from a traditional secular education. It was just an internal spiritual feeling that told me to just "jump in the water and start swimming." I'm 57 going on 58 this March. I can't wait to get started. This is completely all about me and those around me, and the connections between us. My wife noticed a change in me -- more peaceful, more loving, more connected spiritually. It was like a veil was lifted from my eyes.
Have fun, enjoy, let the beauty of it all flow!
Supernatural3
Posted 1/22/2008 10:33 PM (#3502 - in reply to #3398)

PhD Alumni

Hooray... You will love it.
I found it 100% worth every cent. Keep us posted on how well you do and we will watch as your veil lifts even more.

Blessings~
mruppert
Posted 1/23/2008 10:26 PM (#3518 - in reply to #3500)

Hello RVD....wait a minute...that is a wrestler...I mean RDB:
     I am very similar to you, by age and traditional education.
All I can say is that if it is was a "Ka-boom", then you gotta go for it!
     I had no such ka-boom. For me, it was the constant flirtation between religion, science and philosophy. And, a lifelong fascination with the occult, supernatural, preternatural, and paranormal.
     UMS, sorta brings all these things together, at least for me.
What is unique, is that you will meet many people who have similar, and oftentimes, opposing ideas. But, no matter who they are and what they expose, you will make many friends (and I mean that in any sense of the word).
     Your words...."My wife noticed a change in me -- more peaceful, more loving, moreconnected spiritually. It was like a veil was lifted from my eyes."
     I , IMHO, would perceive that as a message from a cosmic source. You coulda gone to a church and had that happen. In my view, you have to ask yourself why you are drawn to this particular place.
     OH, and the "studies"...as the same may be said for a student here or at MIT, what you put into it is what you will get out of it. Except, at UMS the outcome is far more pertinent to the "self".
Peace,
Marty and Luckylee, Poppyhead, and Sissygirl  (they are my cats)
lightwarrior01
Posted 2/8/2008 1:13 PM (#3624 - in reply to #3398)

hey all!
i've browsed for site for some time... and think it looks like a good possibility. however, i feel sort of in a hurry in all things because of this 2012 prophecy.

anywayz, does anyone know any good sites the have ALL sorts of "alternative schools" for after highschool?? or any other resources for such things or related..?

THANKS!