Ways of perceiving reality
danny.israel
Posted 11/25/2007 9:47 PM (#3015)
Subject: Ways of perceiving reality

Student

Hello!

I'm wondering what the different ways of perceiving reality are. I believe there are 6 ways, i know of, kinetic, audio digital, visual... ?

I'm curious where the difference is drawn when one puts ideas together, or attains enlightenment. Basically because what happens to me only seems translatable to someone else at some point where I'm not focusing on the specific energetics if they don't perceive things energetically.

with love!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Supernatural3
Posted 11/26/2007 9:05 AM (#3019 - in reply to #3015)
Subject: RE: Ways of perceiving reality

PhD Alumni

We perceive reality in analog through our senses of sight, taste, smell, sounds, touch (Identification and Association)..... If we break it down, it becomes digital in our long term memory. Because the brain does not normally file away memories as movies but will file it away as fragments.

Our reality is then taken as REAL if we felt it. (Neuro Linguistic Programming) Which needs three things.
1. Authority
2. Theory / Paradigm
3. FEEL it.

If we experience those three things (as we do from our parents, ministers, teachers, doctors, etc.) Nothing in the world can convince us it wasn't real. We could be the farthest from the truth, but could not be capable of letting ourselves believe otherwise. Until we are actually de-programmed. This is done through repetition and education, but it also must be felt to work.

This is how i attempt to explain things through a hypnotists eyes. We are taught to change the script of one's belief system to help them get rid of negative habits, out of their own request. We have to make the FEEL it.... and trust me, there are many tricks that are easy to get one to believe anything.

I have no idea if this is anything you were looking for, or not. But i hope it helped.
Blessings~

danny.israel
Posted 11/26/2007 9:56 AM (#3021 - in reply to #3015)

Student

Hey,

Thank you for the information. Even though it wasn't the answer to my question I enjoyed reading it! I'll try and be more specific.

I was once told that there are 6 ways one processes the incoming reality, I'm not sure what this is called, but she showed me a diagram of the eyes where each direction a person looks at subconsciously ( while talking or something) represents the way they process the universe. So she had 6 directions shown , it went from the up-right, down-right, down, down-left, up-left, and up. At each direction she wrote the corresponding mode of perception. ( She also provides NLP hypnosis treatments, I'm not sure if that's where she got the information).

She made me realize my way of perceiving is not the only one, her husband walked in and started talking and she said, "see, it's all numbers with him because he's auditory digital" ( paraphrase haha) . So I noticed that my friend functions much more with words and english where as I do not at all, I'm kinetic or kinesthetic (I'm not even sure what it's called) but I perceive things energetically, so when I tried to enter his world and work in english and ideas it drove me crazy for a while and I had to straighten myself out again my way. I also realized he couldn't understand my experience, if I spoke to him about energy and described techniques or the effect certain things have on my energy, it pretty well means nothing to him, because it just isn't his language it seems.

So what I'm getting at is that when we put our ideas together to achieve a higher understanding, per say, and enter illumination, it is going to be in a different way for each of us ( I mean that 1 in 6)... I'm trying to draw where the truth is in our experience, where it applies to every language. I can speculate I would back up and look at what happened to me energetically and then find common grounds.

Anyway! the main thing is I was curious how each of the 6 methods functions, puts things together, experiences reality, and actually achieves completion.

with much love!

Danny

I hope this was more clear

Supernatural3
Posted 11/26/2007 1:11 PM (#3022 - in reply to #3015)

PhD Alumni

I know the 6 ways they were talking about with the eyes.

According to NLP teachers, our eyes access certain parts of our brain as we receive information. One side is Memory access and the other side is Creative process. While three spots on each side is Visual, Auditory and Feeling.

You must have looked in the middle for them to gather that much info. Meaning you are an auditory learner.
The rest, i am not so sure about. But it has to do with Logic or Creative thinking pending left or right.

This type of pattern in the eyes will let a trained person ask questions and they will find out if the person is creating their story (Lying) or remembering their story (not lying). This also lets trained people see how they learn the best. Visual, Audio or Emotional.

That is all i can explain at this time.
Sorry i couldn't be of more help.
danny.israel
Posted 11/26/2007 3:24 PM (#3024 - in reply to #3015)

Student

Hey,

thank you that's really good stuff!
Supernatural3
Posted 11/26/2007 4:22 PM (#3025 - in reply to #3015)

PhD Alumni

You are very welcome! I am glad i knew a little bit about it. LOL
Blessings~
whitelion342
Posted 12/7/2007 2:30 PM (#3121 - in reply to #3015)

Hey Danny , i feel to our question, that perhaps its more the case of feeling the reality,rather than perception..the six sensory perceptions are mere adjusted tools at the apropriate moment it is needid..Ah beatiful sunset.Ideas are not really drawn to make any conclusion, rather it could be percieved through whichever sense im learning a lesson through..If i may explain..if it is a quest that im in about questioning poverty,i would experience this lesson in the way i look at it..My visual perception will be stimulated..Nothing can really be translated ,only felt in response. It is in this the art of expression ..Please tell me more..

Love and light
danny.israel
Posted 12/7/2007 2:56 PM (#3122 - in reply to #3015)

Student

your idea has really pulled me out of my box.

hmmm, it seems to me, that the way we choose to look at something, poverty, is different than the method... for example,
1. i look at poverty and I think of it in numbers, then i have an infinite amount of places to look at it from, and choose a way.
2. I look at poverty from feelings, based on the feelings of things, and so then i have an infinite playground to examine it with and I choose a way.

so someone who feels energetically talking about their ideas with someone who has ideas about it in numbers reaches the same conclusion in a different way. ( hypothesis)

I'll let others continue this thought!
Supernatural3
Posted 12/7/2007 5:33 PM (#3123 - in reply to #3015)

PhD Alumni

I think we ALWAYS use a combination of all our senses that are available to us... it's what we as humans do best. Even if we do not have one, it's compensated by another. We have message units coming in at all times. It's our learning process. We could not understand anything, without our senses in this reality. In spiritual reality i still think it's the same, but less physical and higher intelligence. Our human brains are limited in growth by our skeletal skull.... but our intelligence can come from everything, unlimited. It's not confined to space, nor does it have limits.

I feel like i am chasing my tail.... ha ha ha
whitelion342
Posted 12/12/2007 12:29 AM (#3171 - in reply to #3015)

We are like water we absorb with all of ourselves whatever comes to us, yet we are not part of it,a drop of water will not turn into a tree, merely be within it and then move on..
Love a Light
Aurora
John W. Kelly
Posted 1/23/2008 5:48 PM (#3511 - in reply to #3015)

Regular

danny.israel - 2007-11-25 9:47 PM
I'm wondering what the different ways of perceiving reality are. I believe there are 6 ways, i know of, kinetic, audio digital, visual... ?

George Berkeley has some very interesting thoughts on this difficult subject. May I suggest "Three Dialogues Between Hylas and Philonous." In this work, Berkeley, (who assumes the role of Philonous) argues that matter does not exist, and that matter is an illusion. His view is that reality is only accessable through ideas. Perception through the senses is something independent of the mind, and that reality can only be perceived though the mind. I find this theory a bit difficult to believe, but its a good insight into the concept of hard idealism. I find it beneficial to to at least understand both (or the many) points of view, regardless of which position one winds up taking.
danny.israel
Posted 1/23/2008 7:07 PM (#3512 - in reply to #3015)

Student

thank you,

where can I have a look or listen?
John W. Kelly
Posted 1/23/2008 8:54 PM (#3513 - in reply to #3015)

Regular

Try this site www.gutenberg.org
Type in the author's name and the book you want.
mruppert
Posted 1/23/2008 11:12 PM (#3520 - in reply to #3015)

Hi all:
     Well, what "reality" do you want to perceive?
     Several people have mentioned the "senses". I would suggest "A Natural History of the Senses"  by Diane Ackerman.
For those of a more literary mind, "A  La Recherche  Du Temps  Perdu" aka  "Remembrance of Things Past" by Marcel Proust.
I have been told that you cannot die until you read Proust. Yet, a lot of people do..maybe they were not "aware" of this?
      In so far as scientific reality goes....I suggest, as a primer,
"The Holographic Universe" by Michael Talbot. here you will see that you don't "perceive" at all!
      Finally, a good survey of our perceptions of all things that are not of the common and mundane is a book by Marina Warner entitled "Phantasmagoria."
      My point is that so many others have wrestled with the question of perception that we cannot really define it until and unless we know what has come before us.
Peace Profound,
Marty and bookish cats, Luck, Pop and Siss...who are dragging other books off the shelves to be included....but they shall not have their way! They are off to bed!!!!!!!
John W. Kelly
Posted 1/29/2008 4:18 PM (#3569 - in reply to #3520)

Regular

mruppert - 2008-01-23 11:12 PM

Hi all:
     Well, what "reality" do you want to perceive?

Ultimate reality, of course! In other words, to shed some light on the age old mind-body problem.
mruppert
Posted 1/30/2008 12:52 AM (#3570 - in reply to #3015)

Hi JW, Book of Kells and all:
     Please do not be offended, as I am not being flippant. I would suggest a discussion as to whether or not there is "an ultimate reality."
     The lunatic's reality is probably far more valid than, say, the reality of George Bush (and I chose him not for any political reason, but simply because of the many delusional behaviours he exhibits).
    The Moon appears in the sky every so often, and is a clearly defined disk. One can look up at it, and one can then attribute to it many things. But, regardless of what one attributes to it, it is definitely there. If people chose to guide their lives based on it, it in and of itself has a reality greater than it's existence; one that is not respective of the particular attributes that any individual might accord it. However, Luna is the name we give those who stand outside the norm that some have established, and hence, lunatic. Are lunatics crazy? Well, sure, they may well be. Are they saner than you or I? Well, sure, they may well be far more saner than you or I.
     Back to my other example, George Bush, and again, that was just a random choice I made (I am not interested in a political discussion). He has a rationale and logic for doing what he does. Some see it as ancestor worship (his daddy) and some see it as the mandate of God; or whatever evangelical Christians choose to call it. The point is he, logically and rationally, does what he does, when I find it most illogical and non-rational.
     He fights against what he has let the place that he fights in establish as a state mandate. He also fights in the name of God. And, thereby, he diminishes the concept of God to be as small as the petty fight that he engages in. Could God be that small?
If he could, then he is not much of a God; other Gods could beat him up quite easily!!!!!
      The lunatic freely encompasses reality, and if asked, and has the wherewithal and knoweldge, will tell you to plainly look at the facts....the Moon moves the water on this planet...so why shouldn't it move me to do what I do.
       Georgie has a far less tangible excuse!
Peace and Love,
Marty and Sinistrally dextrous cats, Luckylee, Poppyhead and the SissyGirl
P.S. Let me say this again, I DO NOT WISH THIS TO BE A POLITICAL discussion, I chose the President of the United States just because he is an easy target for criticism from all quarters, as any President is. If you think that the gloriously praised George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and John F Kennedy didn't suffer the same, then you really need to read your history again. I just wanted to make this clear, as I know many are offended when there is such talk about a current President. Once out of office, we seem to be able to talk about them all we want, and say anything we want about them....but while they are in office, we dare not criticize, as they are, in essence, gods...just as the Caesars were.
We lost "our" government when we started to consider it separate from us, and not derived from us, and made up of us.....and we will NEVER get it back, since there is a "NEW REALITY"!!!!!!!!

John W. Kelly
Posted 1/30/2008 12:12 PM (#3584 - in reply to #3015)

Regular

This is a good example of subjective reality.

Edited by John W. Kelly 1/30/2008 12:16 PM
danny.israel
Posted 1/30/2008 12:49 PM (#3586 - in reply to #3015)

Student

yes i like where you're taking this,

so are there different ways of perceiving the truth, like kinetic or audio digital. It seems something like telepathy could fall into a different category than kinetic, while all ways tap into the same "thing".
John W. Kelly
Posted 1/30/2008 1:58 PM (#3588 - in reply to #3015)

Regular

Like mrruppert says, does ultimate reality even exist? If so, can we know it? This question has been keeping philosophers busy for many, many years...
Supernatural3
Posted 1/30/2008 2:19 PM (#3589 - in reply to #3015)

PhD Alumni

I think it's only a personal experience. what one personal knows, another person will think is whacked. But to the one who knows, would think oh well, i know what i know.

To me; Ultimate Reality is God. (Eternal Intelligence)

John W. Kelly
Posted 1/30/2008 4:25 PM (#3597 - in reply to #3015)

Regular

But what about a priori knowlage? Our views, if they are to be correct, cannot make room for an answer such as 2+2=5. So in this sense, truth can't be subjective.
Supernatural3
Posted 1/30/2008 4:37 PM (#3598 - in reply to #3015)

PhD Alumni

science has not caught up with metaphysics, because it's beyond physics. It's above our explained knowledge.

2+2=5 is not taught in our brains.... and Math is our physical universal language. But is there a non physical math? We do not know.
danny.israel
Posted 1/30/2008 5:29 PM (#3599 - in reply to #3015)

Student

I'm thinking there is some thing that is true , I think it's what we surrender to.
mruppert
Posted 2/2/2008 1:14 AM (#3603 - in reply to #3015)

Hi all:
     This forum has run the gamut of most philosophical thought, in one way or another. The only thing we haven't really focused on is another school of philosphy, that which excludes any "religious experience"  or spirituality. I have put religious experience in quotes as there are some new faces, and they might not know that I do not mean any reference at all to religion...religious experience has nothing to do with organized or hierachical religion, and may, at times, be the antithesis of religion.
     If you believe  that there is an ultimate reality then that must be true..hence, an ultimate truth, as per another forum. The two go hand-in-hand; if it is ultimately real, than it is ultimately true.
      But, some say there is no ultimate reality; there is no reality at all! Some say that there is, ultimately, NOTHING.
       JWK mentions subjective reality...and isn't that the case? Isn't everything subjective?
       We can dismiss the nihilists quite easily. Subjectively. But then we have to go to the Physicists. So we had a big bang and all that we know and do today is a result of that big bang. But, what was before the big bang?

Profound Peace,
Marty and Holographic Cats: Lucky, Poppy and the SissyGirl
John W. Kelly
Posted 2/3/2008 1:30 PM (#3605 - in reply to #3015)

Regular

I wouldn't go on record saying all truth is subjective, because that would exclude objective truths. Many subjective truths are tacit. I know its wrong to steal from people. Other truths are objective. The Moon's orbit and the physical laws that explain why.