Thanksgiving!
mruppert
Posted 11/13/2007 3:51 PM (#2897)
Subject: Thanksgiving!

Hi All:
     As I write this, it is with some sadness. I live in the eastern part of Howard County, Maryland, USA. A traditionally farming area, ALL of the farms are gone in the east, and only a few survive in western Howard County, very few. Maybe, now, one or two. The fresh produce market off Montgomery Road closed two years ago. The horse farm that the Stranges' owned is gone, and there are houses there that sell for 850K and more. The other surviving farm, the Bergers, who also raised horses, is bulldozed flat, and we will soon have some new box stores and business parks. We all ready have a new, humongous, Best Buy, so I can feast upon as many Ipods, and cellphones, and dvd recorders as I want, to satisfy my Thanksgiving Day appetite.
     I drove down the street where my first house still stands, and the trees that surrounded the house are all gone. There are now four houses behind my former house.When I was a younger man, with family and hopes and dreams, there was nothing in the world like driving up my driveway to be met by ten deer, standing fast and refusing to move. Nothing like my family of squirrels, who all had names. Nothing like conceding the bird feeders to the squirrels and putting out plenty of seed for all. Nothing like pulling the possum out of the trash bin, so I could take the trash down to the road for pick up. Nothing like seeing a bunch of "fraidy" cats go nose to nose with a racoon at my kitchen door, the cats loosing the stare down contest between them and the masked bandit. The Maryland red fox that lived in the woods behind my house, used to parade her kits in front of the bench underneath my tallest tree. She used to come and see my Pomeranian and have a little chat with her. They looked a lot the same. They probably were the same....exchanging chat from different perspectives and lifestyles, as we do here.
     My trees were old growth trees, some over one hundred feet tall. With the tell-tale pods on the top, which were the squirrels nests. All is gone.
     There is a "new" movement across the country to support local producers of goods. Unfortunatley, there are not many available to us, in eastern Howard. But I like the idea, and it is catching on, so much so that even public television now features a show about this, I think it is called "Good Eats".
      So, I am interested in what you all will be doing for Thanksgiving, if you are American. If not, I would still be interested in what you eat.....and where you get it from.
      I know this sounds silly, but reflect for a moment on the importance of eating...and eating together.
       It is how dogs became domesticated.
       A common greeting in China is "Have you eaten?"
       Religions celebrate things by using bread, and wine.
       King Henry is shown throwing bones over his shoulder, at a grand feast.
       Thanksgiving is a celebration of faith for those that came from another shore, with those that were indigenous to the land that they came...at least according to legend.
        And, one of the most known paintings in the world, depicts a man called Jesus at a "last" supper.
        I hope to hear from you all, if not to chase the melancholy away, but to perhaps rejoice in the one thing that we all do.....sustain ourselves, and be thankfull that we can do so. 

"And what place is this?, asked Scrooge.
"A place where miners live, who labour in the bowels of the  earth" returned the Spirit.
"But, they know me, SEE!" - hats off to Charlie Dickens
And the meager feast was illuminated by a great light, and all raised their voices in song.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all,
Marty and fat cats, Lucky, Poppy and Sissy

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Supernatural3
Posted 11/13/2007 5:26 PM (#2898 - in reply to #2897)
Subject: RE: Thanksgiving!

PhD Alumni

Yeah, i have noticed over all these years how everything is commercializing. I too miss the nature that we used to have. The wilderness has gone and now children are raised indoors. I have memories of playing outside a lot as a child, which were some of the best memories of my life. But times do change.... I am just Thankful that we all have each other and we still have much to be thankful about, i know it could be a lot worse.

Thank you for posting.

Happy Thanksgiving ALL
Tracy Martin
Posted 11/13/2007 7:43 PM (#2899 - in reply to #2897)

Alumni

I have been so blessed to live in two beautiful areas. In New Paltz, NY we have a farmer's market, cooperative farms, and organic foods available. There are farms and orchards, rivers, streams, and lakes. But the traffic grows and grows as people from NYC seek a more country environment to live in. And so the houses sprout up, and the malls pave the land.

Here in Arcata we have an incredible farmer's market. It is a photographers feast for the eyes, red peppers, purple cabbages, mixed greens. There are farms and organic produce, Redwoods, beaches. It is good to have fresh local food and people around here seem to smile a lot.

I am thanks giving, giving thanks for the wonderful wisdom of Earth which nourishes all of its children. And thanks for all of you too!

mruppert
Posted 11/17/2007 4:14 AM (#2925 - in reply to #2897)

Hi Doc, Trace, and the other viewers who chose not to reply, though I wish you had, or still would:
     Doc, you are in Ohio, and I was just thinking about how glad my cohorts and I in college football were when the Buckeyes got knocked out of number one. But, if the Buckeyes beat Michigan, it means something since the Oregon Ducks lost.....maybe LSU v OSU in a national championship? Who knows? Now, if my lowly school, (who with the help of REIKI, beat Boston College) can defeat Florida State, we will be eligible for a bowl game...and if we defeat our last opponent, NCState, we just might sneak into a bigger bowl game. All that means is that sometime in December, you just might see the UM Terrapins on your tv, playing somebody, and you could say, I know someone who is intimately associated with that school.
And, hopefully, you would cheer us on..as a victory brings more money to USM, and can be used to improve our second place national finish in building the most energy efficient house and our first place finish in building the most alternative energy efficient car.
     Trace....I would love to be in ArCATa, for I could truly cook some wonderful things. With fresh ingredients! In your east coast persona, you are not very far away from my sister, who is a nurse in Poughkeepsie. All my sisters are nurses! That is, all two of them.
     But, neither of you said what you are actually going to eat on the big Turkey day, and I guess that got lost in my long winded praise of the holiday, where eating seems to be of the utmost importance, but it really comes down to breaking bread with loved ones.
     I all ready can tell you the menu for me and three girls, and I can tell you what the girls won't eat.

Peace and Giving, in thanks,
Marty and Pilgrim cats with Pilgrim hats
Supernatural3
Posted 11/17/2007 9:32 AM (#2930 - in reply to #2897)

PhD Alumni

I don't really watch football. I am a high school basketball fan (due to my kids being cheerleaders). I don't really watch it on TV but i do love it when Buckeyes beat the holy moly out of Michigan. HA HA HA that is our biggest rival.... we really don't care about the others, just gotta beat Michigan. At which we normally do.... My family has many graduates of OSU and if i remember, i will try to catch the game. I will also share some reiki... HA HA HA. I always did that for our basketball team. I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. ROFL My sisters, brothers and dad will most likely BE at the big OH Vs. MI game.

It's snowing here now. The cold is sooooo cold. Winter sucks. HA HA
Happy Thanksgiving..... Snuggles up in blankets now.
cause
Posted 11/18/2007 7:11 PM (#2939 - in reply to #2897)

UMS Student

Thank you! mruppert,

For bringing up the subject of thanks. I sometimes think allot of us go a-little insane this time of year. This is the traditional time of harvest and other busyness in preparation for winter. I think it reminds allot of us of mortality and in a very basic and intense way. There are 10,000 years to accomplish our goals in our desire, but the memory our ancestors the next winter might be there last and I know I feel this. Let us give thanks!

light,

cause
mruppert
Posted 11/20/2007 4:49 AM (#2961 - in reply to #2897)

Hi Cause, and all:
"but the memory our ancestors the next winter might be there last"-quoted from Cause
     I think that hit me the hardest! Those that originally came here, to what is now the USA , had known hardship far beyond what we perceive to be hardship.
     We went on to create the greatest country, i.e. civilization, in the world. And, if you are one of those that live in fear, fear not, as we have enough arms in the right places to destroy the entire planet ten times over. "Shock and Awe" was a sickingly paltry display on an unsuspecting people of the power of this country. It was a grand night of television to persuade viewers to buy into an agenda of war, not peace.
     Let us step back in history for a moment, and look at WW2. The Germans bombed the crap out of Britain and France, but primarily Britain. Men, women and children died. And, in retaliation, the Allies bombed the ever loving crap out of Germany. Women and children died, since most men were involved in the war effort. I do not want to go into the Pacific theatre of war, as we dropped not one, but two, nuclear bombs on Japan, and 100 thousands died.
     Let us take one more time step back and remember when Hannibal of Carthage was threatening Rome. Scipio met with Hannibal on the plains of Utica and offered peace but with reprisals. Hannibal thought he could win and rejected the offer. Hannibal was soundly defeated and Carthage fell to the Romans shortly thereafter.
     And, I have brought us waaaay of topic! Oh well,

Happy Turkey Day,
Marty and salivating cats