Halloween..Let's Have A Little Fun!
mruppert
Posted 10/27/2007 3:12 AM (#2774)
Subject: Halloween..Let's Have A Little Fun!

Hi all.....it's a small group that posts...but we are coming upon All Hallows Eve, the evening before All Saints Day.
So, what is the scariest movie you ever saw? Or, perhaps you have a spooky experience that you might like to share?
Peace and Boo to you,
Marty
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Supernatural3
Posted 10/28/2007 4:47 PM (#2777 - in reply to #2774)
Subject: RE: Halloween..Let's Have A Little Fun!

PhD Alumni

I really thought the movie Prince of Darkness was really scary. I had a hard time looking into mirrors for some time after that. LOL
I like the possibility that it also COULD be real. Which makes it even more scary.

I like all the horror flicks like Evil Dead series and House on Haunted Hill.
mruppert
Posted 10/28/2007 9:57 PM (#2778 - in reply to #2774)

Boo to you Doc!
     Aha, a John Carpenter movie! He is really a very weird guy.
"Prince of Darkness" is one of my favorite cult movies, as I particularly like the scene when Alice Cooper says "I have a message for you, and you are not going to like it" and then proceeds to dematerialize into a bunch of worms and maggots, and whatever else.  Coincidentally, he (John) is also the director of "They Live" which I mentioned on the Alien thread.
     Which version of "House" did you see? There was the one from my youth, and there is a remake. I didn't see the remake.
      For those just joining the Halloween post, please tell us what causes you to sleep with the light on, to jump at the least little sound, and to check under the bed before going to a restless sleep!
Spookily yours,
Marty Vlad Tepes
"listen to the volves, de children of de night, vat music dey make"
Supernatural3
Posted 10/28/2007 10:29 PM (#2779 - in reply to #2774)

PhD Alumni

lol, i have both movies of House on Haunted Hill. The original old one i don't really care for, but the new one is kick arse. It's pretty creepy and really makes you wonder if it could be real. I love those kind.

Yeah, i know the part with Alice Cooper.... I think my favorite part of the whole movie is when the Chinese guy is stuck in the closet as that girl becomes pregnant and psycho. It's very scary, yet hilarious. I could see reacting the same way.... They really did a good job on that movie. A little boring in the beginning but it's needed to understand it all.

Then you have that freaky movie Susperia. Wow, that movie scared the crap out of me when i was a kid. I think the movie Ruby did too. These are cheesy movies but they just don't make them like that anymore. I had refused to watch another jason movie or Friday the 13th movie. OVERKILL. LOL

But i really did like Alien Vs. Predator. But i don't consider that horror.

Right now, I am really into Dexter. I just watched it now.... it has to be my all time favorite show on Showtime.
mruppert
Posted 10/30/2007 9:25 PM (#2799 - in reply to #2774)

DOC!!!!!!!
     You are an amazing person!
      Suspiria is an all time great. Very thematic, very spooky, and great images.
      If you haven't done so all ready, you gotta check out "Demons".....Dario Argento wrote the screenplay for this one, but didn't direct it. I think he got a lot of Suspirias' look and feel from working with Lamberto Bava in Demons.
      Now, I gotta ask...did you see"Blair Witch Project"....Burkittsville, Maryland is very real, as is Montgomery County Community College, and the University of Maryland (obviously).....though the interview with the "professor" looked like a throwback to the '60's.
      Unfortunately/fortunately the legend of the Blair Witch is totally fictional.
       BUT, the town has many ghosts surrounding it, as it is nestled inbetween two Civil War battlesites. Who knows what lurks in the woods? The dense woods, in the dark, are very unnerving.
Peace-a-boo,
Marty and his familiars...or just some silly cats
Supernatural3
Posted 10/31/2007 7:22 AM (#2802 - in reply to #2774)

PhD Alumni

yep, i saw Blair Witch, to be honest, i wasn't all that impressed. I guess because of being a ghost hunter myself, it was unrealistic to me. However, i did really like the second one better. LOL I guess that one seemed a little more believable. I actually have the movies because i am some what of a horror movie collector. I must say i don't have Demons though. I will have to check that one out. I did like the movie "The Gate" that was a creepy one. Ha ha.... I also like anything multi-dimensional, like Deja Vu. That one made you think.

Horror movies just are not made like they used to be.

Now they are starting to move the camera so much, like in SAW 3, i actually got motion sickness because they put the camera on some circular track while filming. I HATE THAT. I am seeing it more and more in films and it's ruining the film.

I did like Hostel, although it was pretty gross.... it could be REAL. Pretty creepy.....But i like the more spiritual / ghostly or demonic type stuff, as long as it's not too cheesy. The minute they have to add a bunch of naked girls in it... they just lost my vote. LOL

HAPPY HALLOWEEN.....
mruppert
Posted 11/3/2007 1:42 AM (#2822 - in reply to #2774)

Hi Doctor J.....
     BW2! Yeah!! I had an immediate puppylove crush for Kim Director, she just seemed to be sooo sexy in the movie. Maybe it was the whiteface makeup....I don't know....reminded me of a Kubuki Dancer in ancient Japan. I never could figure out what the other lady says backwards when they are replaying the video of the orgy night. Do you know?
     Doc, I read  a book a while back called "The Club Dumas" by Arturo Perez-Reverte, which had nine unique engravings in it, with the title page before the engravings called the  "Novem Portis" . Some years later, I saw a clip from a movie called "The Ninth Gate" with the same engravings. So, I got the flick and was amazed at how good Johnny Depp can act. He was perfect in the movie. And, the movie itself, directed by Roman Polanski, was great! I think you should watch it, if you haven't. If you have, I'd be interested in your critique. But, the movie does not resemble the book at all, as the book is about bookdealers searching for manuscripts of Alexandre Dumas, author of "The Three Muskateers". The Novem Portis is a secondary plot mechanism. Yet, the book does give the correct order of the engravings if one wishes to use them for calling forth the devil. The movie does it twice.....once when...nah, I'm not gonna tellya, in case you do watch it...I don't want to spoil it for you.
     I liked the vicarious thrills of the evolving genre of horror flicks/slasher flicks until it became so mainstream that it no longer scared anyone....it just became gratuitous gore for the sake of it, particularly for a generation that is sated with blood and guts, via video games, tv and real life. So, I don't watch most new movies.
      But, Doc, if you really want to get totally spooked, watch "The Haunting" (original, 1963, with Julie Harris and Claire Bloom). Watch it in the dark, since you will save money, as you will sleep with the lights on afterwards.

Yours in the horror of it all,
Marty and cats that go bump in the night
P.S. Why are we the only two posting in this forum? I gotta think that others watch movies....
Supernatural3
Posted 11/3/2007 10:46 AM (#2827 - in reply to #2822)

PhD Alumni

"I never could figure out what the other lady says backwards when they are replaying the video of the orgy night. Do you know?"

You know, i think she realized that it was indeed her that hid all the stuff, but she was in trance. I watched it so long ago that i honestly don't remember her exact words. But i do remember what you are talking about. If i can find my VHS of it, i will have to find a player and play it. I still have to find it on DVD because i do not use VHS's anymore. I have lots of movies on VHS that i will have to replace. All in good time.

I don't think i have "The haunting" old one. I will have to look. I have so many that i am not sure what i have and what i don't anymore. LOL That one does not ring a bell. I could always download it, if i can find the torrent, at least enough to watch it.

I do have "The Ninth Gate" w/ Johnny Depp and yes, i did like it very much. It is one of my favorites. I will have to pull that one out and watch it again to pay closer attention. I do have that one on DVD. YAY. I didn't get to read the book, so i did not realize the big difference between the two.

I too am a lot like you, I also liked the horror slasher flicks until they became mainstream for sure.

Yeah, where are all the horror movie lovers? Are WE it? lol NAW.... there are more. Just didn't find this thread.

HUGS