The Retreat was Great, I hear! How was it for you?
Laura Phillips
Posted 7/31/2007 9:33 PM (#2446)
Subject: The Retreat was Great, I hear! How was it for you?

I was so sad that I had to stay in the office to help keep things running while everyone went on retreat at Mount Madonna last weeekend with Christine Breese. Someone has to keep it all going! I heard the retreat was a great sucess and the feedback forms we've been getting from the retreat participants are amazing! They loved the humor, the fun, and the enlightening messages and moments, and meeting Christine. I was wondering if any of you here on the discussion forum got to go? They have some more retreats coming up, one at Breitenbush Hot Springs in Oregon and another one during the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show in Arizona in January 08, so this time I'm going to try to get to one instead of staying in the office being all officy!

Tell me how the retreat went if you were there! I heard it was great!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
eoswildcat
Posted 8/1/2007 12:42 AM (#2449 - in reply to #2446)
Subject: RE: The Retreat was Great, I hear! How was it for you?

UMS Student

I got to go. the retreat was decent, though I found myself a bit too rushed, the pace a bit to structured. Will have to go back to the center to actually enjoy it, rather then running around *doing*. I found when I tried to take a step back, I suddenly started missing things. That was very disappointing. Other then that, It was great for what it was, and it was wonderful to meet the staff.
Laura Phillips
Posted 8/1/2007 4:29 AM (#2451 - in reply to #2446)

Yes, I know we were torn about whether to set up a lot of free time, but since it was only two half days (Friday and Sun), and really only a one full day retreat on Saturday, staff wanted to make sure that people really got what they came for and weren't disappointed with not enough time to engage with Christine Breese. There is only so much free time we can schedule into one day and people still feel like they got their money's worth. We have some 4 day and 7 day retreats coming up and that is the kind of place where people can get more free time to explore the facilities, like at Breitenbush Hot Springs in October and the one coming up in Arizona at the end of January. These weekend retreats are considered "intensives" and they are meant for close contact with Christine and the staff, rather than sightseeing at the center. We encouraged people to take personal days before and after the retreat at Mount Madonna if they could, but most people could only spare the weekend and not take weekdays off. I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to sightsee at Mount Madonna more, yes, it is a really nice place. We have a 7 day retreat scheduled there in September-October of 2008, and you'll have plenty of time to explore Mount Madonna at a retreat weeklong event like that. These weekend retreats will always go by too fast! There's only so much time in a daylong retreat. That's the problem with weekend retreats, Fri you spend settling in, Sat is your only real retreat day, and then Sun you get ready to leave. I always wished weekend retreats would last longer myself. Seems a person just gets settled in and then you have to go.

So did you get anything out of it at all?
AmeM
Posted 8/1/2007 3:09 PM (#2457 - in reply to #2446)

I'd love to go on a retreat, but really need 6-8 months to plan for it. Possibly that is because I am getting married this May, but financially I really have to save up and get some things in order, take time off work, etc. I'd love to know when the 2008 retreats are. I doubt I could make it to the 7-day one mentioned, but I'd love to know when the 4 day one is!
Laura Phillips
Posted 8/1/2007 10:51 PM (#2458 - in reply to #2446)

The 4 day one is coming up in October this year at Breitenbush. The url for it is http://www.umsonline.org/MeditationRetreats/BreitenbushHotSprings/B... but that might be a bit too soon for you since your wanting to know about the 2008 ones. There is a short one in July of 2008 at Mount Madonna and then there will be a weeklong one at Mount Madonna at the end of September in 2008.

As always, we try to keep our prices as low as possible!
AmeM
Posted 8/2/2007 12:09 AM (#2459 - in reply to #2458)

I will try to put "next July" into my travel plans for next year. That's the one I will need to know about.

Ame
eoswildcat
Posted 8/2/2007 12:42 AM (#2460 - in reply to #2446)

UMS Student

I need to know about them all as soon as possible as well, for financial reasons.
Laura Phillips
Posted 8/5/2007 4:55 PM (#2481 - in reply to #2446)

The url that will always have the most up to date information is at http://www.umsonline.org/MeditationRetreats/UniversityOfMetaphysica... and you'll be able to get the info there well in advance. The longer retreats will have more things like sessions on UMS classes and techniques like Aura Viewing and things like that, and time to explore the grounds, while the short ones that only last a weekend will have a more intensive energy to it where there isn't so much time to explore the grounds and we won't have UMS class types of things. The weekend long retreats are great for getting a feel for the energy behind UMS and meeting Christine Breese who founded it and meeting staff.

If you'd like to see pictures from the UMS 2007 Summer retreat this past July, here's the url: http://www.umsonline.org/MeditationRetreats/MountMadonna/MountMadon...
Linda
Posted 9/22/2007 8:37 PM (#2622 - in reply to #2449)

eoswildcat - 2007-08-01 12:42 AM

I found myself a bit too rushed, the pace a bit to structured. Will have to go back to the center to actually enjoy it, rather then running around *doing*.

This was already addressed, but thought I'd chime in.

I know what I'm like, and how long it takes to settle down my mind and satisfy my need to get acquainted and explore my surroundings. So I took the great advice to get to Mount Madonna early. Arriving Wednesday made all the difference, giving plenty of time to set up my tent, take a couple hikes, figure out the cafeteria, grounds and even get a massage.

Sometimes it is hard to get away from our busy lives, so a weekend retreat offers opportunity for the most people. If there was too much free time during a short retreat, I think we'd be left wanting for more discussion and meditation.

I really appreciated the structure of the July retreat, allowing us the most time together for meditations and discussion, at a place where we could come early or stay late for personal time. The UMS staff did a fantastic job of organizing the event.

It will be interesting to compare with the experience at Breitenbush, a longer retreat, where I won't be able to take the extra time to arrive early. Either way, I know they will both be rewarding and fulfilling experiences.

Linda