Dr. David Hawkins
mruppert
Posted 6/29/2007 12:47 AM (#2109)
Subject: Dr. David Hawkins

Hi all:
My longtime and able research partner (who hopefully will join the forum as soon as she gets her password) received a cd from Dr. David R. Hawkins, which we found quite interesting, in more ways than one.
She is going to report on the claims made, and their relevance to the science we study, but I, being a true Virgo, immediately checked credentials, and found that he was granted a Phd by California Pacific University, a university that came under heavy scrutiny because of John Gray, whom you all may know as the author of several money making books, the best known being "Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus."
It is not a bad book at all, and, apparently many others share the same view, by it's run on the bestseller lists of many newspapers. But, he did a "gotta have those letters after the name" on his book....John Gray, PhD.....AND DID NOT DISCLOSE where he earned his PhD. Unfortunately for him, CPU was being investigated as a "diploma mill" and has been shut down in all the states that it operated in.
Dr. Hawkins got his PhD from the same place, and he does not say this, but uses incidental things that might cause one to believe that he is credentialed from somewhere else.
If I earn a PhD degree from UMS, I would be honored to have done so, and would not hide that fact from anyone, particulary those who might be inclined to buy any book that I might write. Just the same with any other degree I earn. As I said to my research pal, "if you lie about your credentials at the very start, how and why would anyone believe in what you say after that?" I don't see anything wrong in using a non traditional school in acheiving a traditional degree in a non traditional discipline. What school would you go to to get a degree in Metaphysical sciences?
To the point now, and off my high horse (and I apologize for climbing on).....has anyone had any experience with Dr. Hawkins and his unique teachings? I may be totally wrong in my first impressions, and if so, would like the opportunity to make amends.
Regards, and Peace Profound,
Marty
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tracy Martin
Posted 7/5/2007 5:04 PM (#2141 - in reply to #2109)
Subject: RE: Dr. David Hawkins

Alumni

I just started reading David Hawkin's book "Power Vrs. Force" this morning! It was recommended in one of the UMS courses and was here in the library. I have only read the introduction in which he speaks of his lifetime experience with the "Presence"  and the feelings of unity, harmony, and bliss. He spoke a bit about his medical work, muscle testing, and miraculous cures. I left off at a sentence which said something like 'all of human suffering is caused by the ego."

Its too bad about the credentials. So far I am finding his writing intriguing.

mruppert
Posted 7/6/2007 11:36 PM (#2143 - in reply to #2109)

Hi Tracy, and anyone else who joins this discussion:
It's great that you (whose opinion I respect) have started reading the book. There may well be, and probably is, substantial knowledge to be gained!
Hence, my dilemma. Carl Hiaasen writes novels that very thinly poke fun at events, situations, and people. So thinly, that the learned reader immediately recognizes the "real" from the fiction. He has been threatened with both libel and slander lawsuits. In his novel "Skinny Dip" he has a character attempt to get a degree from a university by mailing a thesis with a check attached to the cover page, and the promise that the degree would be received ten days after funds have cleared. A very close parallel in time and name occur in this novel in conjunction with CPU.
But, is there anything intrinsically wrong with such a scenario? If your research is valid, and it proves your hypothesis, isn't the knowledge gained just as vibrant as if it were done at an ivy towered institution? Yes, it is!
So, I have to always ask, "WHY deceive people as to what your credentials are?" Let your research speak for itself.
Every single time someone is discredited by these little deceptions, it sets the whole body of knowledge back by leaps and bounds.
I have not yet heard from Gabriela concerning Dr. Hawkins, but perhaps she will shed some light.
In the meantime, I would be interested in what you find, and if it is significant, perhaps you might start another post, so that we can set to rest the problem of credentials and pursue the actual knowledge promulgated by Dr. Hawkins.
Yours in that which is so close that we can almost touch it,
Peace Profound,
Marty
Supernatural3
Posted 7/7/2007 1:27 PM (#2146 - in reply to #2109)

PhD Alumni

I too know what you are talking about. I earned a PhD through a different college and then that college disappeared. I couldn't use my PhD and feel legit if nobody could find the school i learned with. Then i did some digging and found the school that learned from to be somewhat off track..... but still, i had learned a lot. I just didn't agree with much of it. My gut still told me to learn more..... so i did.

Needless to say, this is why i came to UMS for my PhD. I checked them out first.... saw that they had accredited associations and you had to actually do the work, write a thesis and dissertation for the degree. The other ones did not. there was a HUGE difference and the support was better too.

I am happy with my choice to earn my PhD through here.... and I am using it to go with my hypnotherapy clients in a non-religious mannor, similar to Reiki, and PLR (Past Life Regression). I now have a Certification with AHA (American Hypnosis Association) for PLR Therapy. I wouldn't have gotten to this stage with out UMS.

I feel sorry for those people who have lost their credentials, because a school was invalid. There are alternatives..... As i found.

Blessings to all....
mruppert
Posted 7/8/2007 12:04 AM (#2147 - in reply to #2109)

Hi Doc J:
Good to hear from you, in particular. Your honest presentation of your credentials, which are many, serves you well. I am a fan of yours, in that you have motivated yourself and others to pursue those things which only enrich life and spiritual awareness.
If you remember, your words were a catalyst for an Internet project that I would have liked to have accomplished, but it did not pan out. Yet, you moved me to the point of, at least, trying.....something which I would have never done on my own.
Tracy is reading the book. I am sure she will have some things to say as she ponders what the book intends for us to understand.
I am so close to enrolling in UMS, that there is maybe a keystroke away from doing so. My desire is to be able to go to Wales, UK and enroll in University of Wales-Lampeter in the MA in Religious Experience programme, and study at the Alistaire Hardy Institute, thereby obtaining a doctorate. And, yes, I would like to be one of the chosen few who gives the Gifford lectures at the University of Edinburgh, which over the years has come to deal with metaphysics and science, an evolution from its foundation in the relationship between religion and science.
What bothers me the most is the arrogance of traditional academic institutions, who believe that they fulfill their mission by cranking out hundreds of MBA's. Soulless, mindless people who take jobs at the local Starbucks.
UMS dos not do this, instead, it makes one THINK; about things which are far more important than "swot" boxes and making the perfect capuccino.
Regards, and peace profound,
Marty
Elizabeth Ann
Posted 7/8/2007 3:40 AM (#2152 - in reply to #2147)

UMS Student

Hi Marty

Yes studying with UMS does make you think. But it does much more than that, it encourages and supports opening individuals up to allow creativity, intuition, inspiration and Universal knowledge to flow. My experience of traditional Universities is very different. I absolutely loved my studies with UMS, it opened my mind to much more that just thinking.

Elizabeth
Supernatural3
Posted 7/8/2007 12:26 PM (#2154 - in reply to #2109)

PhD Alumni

Thank you Marty, I have to also agree with Elizabeth.... It is UMS classes, that really do help enlighten you in a way that you comprehend. It helps you understand that even those who don't know any better, shall be forgiven by those of us who do. -Nothing here on Earth is permanent, for it's just a human experience and we alone can choose to make it our heaven or hell. I have considered this a vacation away from our REAL home.

Once you take responsibility, you take on FULL CONTROL of your life. Then you are happy, because the mundane things just don't bother you anymore. It's very enlightening and fulfilling as well.

I too am still learning so much from everyone here, but i will never need to take another anti-depressant pill again. I choose happiness.....
HUGS to all

mruppert
Posted 7/9/2007 10:20 PM (#2165 - in reply to #2109)

Hi all, particularly Elizabeth and Doc:
What you say is absolutely right! In my heart, I know this to be true, but I am cursed with being a Virgo. I cannot let things go until I know all that I can know, in otherwords, think and overthink things. I am bound to think and rethink things forever and eternity. That is why I rely on Gabriela to look at certain things for me, as she will glean from them what she can, and tell me if there is anything significant. (She is also a Virgo, but a matter of days gave her more than I have).
Here, (back on topic) we have a very interesting circumstance. Tracy is reading the book. Gabriela is studying the cds. Now, I have to be somewhat "mysterious" in what I say woooh....oooo...hoooooo (that is supposed to be mysterious music) as I do not want to bias the outcome.
One has some coincidental things in common with me, and the other is my exact twin. Both have gone through much training. One and/or the other has much education. Both are far more spiritual in nature than I will ever be. One or both are musically inclined; I am not to the extent that any instrument I have ever played, I have played poorly...and there were a few, the best the Melophone, the worst the Tuba. All of us though, sense music in a different way than most people. One and or/ both have an artistic talent. I have none whatsoever. Ah...to make it a little exciting....one of us three is a "psychic vampire" of a sort, the others are not. And, to make it true, one is a natural born healer...and take it to the bank....it ain't me.
Yet, two people that we know (or that at least I know both of the two, and you will know the
other if the webmaster would ever send Gabriela a password) will study the work of Dr. Hawkins. So, we will get two views of what he has to say. I do not know what Tracy will say about it, nor do I know what Gabriela will say. However, I think that they will both reach pretty much the same conclusions.
Hold me to that...and see if I am not right!

With sincere wishes for the best,
Marty
Tracy Martin
Posted 7/12/2007 12:15 PM (#2184 - in reply to #2109)

Alumni

I am wondering why the cultural correlations for 'primitive conditions' are considered the lowest energy fields. It is the first thing that I read that I don't agree with. Shamanism and other spiritual traditions among indigenous peoples throughout time have entered into a field of consciousness often forgotten by more industrialized people. Why should simple, subsistence living be considered low energy? It seems like the marker for the upper levels of consciousness is industrialization and materialism. Whatever becomes of voluntary simplicity?

My other concerns may just be my own ignorance, but how can that which is beyond the physical be reduced to the logic and rationality of the brain and body?  

So far I am enjoying the book (I am on Chapter 6) and understanding a little better why we have held the concept of God to be an angry, judgmental, and vengeful God and how armies throughout time have justified their murder and destruction on that basis.

mruppert
Posted 7/12/2007 10:05 PM (#2188 - in reply to #2109)

Hi Tracy and all:
I hope that we continue on with this thread...Tracy has gleaned some very basic issues. I am hoping that she would be willing to do a "mini" book report at the end of her reading.
For myself, I have to reserve any comment, so there is no bias or predispostion other than how the thread started.
It's A Beautiful World We Live In,
Marty