getting to know you?
soulfire
Posted 5/19/2007 11:58 PM (#1856)
Subject: getting to know you?

Alumni

I have only been on a couple of message boards, but they do have one thing in common. They each have an introduction thread and I didn't see one here, so...

Hi. I am 37, have been married for 19y and have 3 kids. Been studying certain aspects of metaphysics for a while now. Before that it was aromatherapy and herbs, and before that it was midwifery. Metaphysics fits me better. I've been a student for 1 month and am enjoying it thoroughly.
If I'm going to be conversing with any of you, I'd like to know who you are. Any takers?

Who are you? Where are you from? What do you like to do? How did you become interested in metaphysics? Etc.?
~SF
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mruppert
Posted 5/30/2007 1:01 AM (#1905 - in reply to #1856)
Subject: RE: getting to know you?

Hello Soul:
The folks here are a fairly reticent group (I was surprised!), and from what I can judge, small in number. I am not a student, but a guest. Though, I have been a guest for quite sometime. I have made many acquaintences, and several friends, and one "good" friend, to the extent that I am in contact just to see how things are going and to discuss matters of interest to us on a private level. I am also very awed by my friend, as she has been granted a doctorate by UMS in a field that I am somewhat interested in.
I find a lot of next generation "New Agers" here. And, I also find many sincere people here, who REALLY want to know if "healing" via crystals or touch or holistic means works. I find people who seek connection with the spiritual world. And, I find people who HAVE connection with the spiritual world.
Introduction: I am a graduate of The Catholic University, Washington,DC , BA in AmHist, minors in Philosophy, Religion, and Psychology. I am currently at the University of Maryland. I am a member of Mensa, and a member of AMORC (Ancient and Mystical Order of the Rose Cross). I aspire to be, once again, a student at Univeristy of Wales, Lampeter in the Alistaire Hardy Institute of Religious Experience, seeking a degree in Religious Experience, WHICH has nothing to do with organized religion, as I am not particulary religious, nor is the program that I seek a degree in. I am primarily interested in quantum theory, how it applies to metaphysical belief, and how they might be proven to be one and the same. I believe in ghosts and seek to prove that they exist. I believe in many things that UMS can teach you to be ABSOLUTELY true, though for very different reasons and rationales.
Let me end by saying that if your quest for knowledge is metaphysics, this is the only game in town that can give you a broad spectrum of ideology. No traditional university is capable or willing to do this. If, as a wanderer, you travel down a road long enough, you eventually find your home. If, as a Traveler, you seek peace, you will find it.
Regards,
Marty
Inner Vision
Posted 5/30/2007 11:03 AM (#1908 - in reply to #1856)

UMS Student

Hi Soulfire and welcome. I started my studies here in May and have really enjoyed it so far. I have always been involved in metaphysics in some form or another since I can remember. The classes seem to help me organize concepts and helps me find the words to express them. I feel I was directed here in answer to a prayer. I often do readings and mediumship and before each session I ask that I be given the correct words to say. My Guides have told me many times "when there is love in the heart for that person, how can there be harm". I have trusted this, yet, I also believe in the concept of helping self. In other words, while trusting my Guides, I can do some of the work. Forgive me--I tend to ramble sometimes. I am glad you are here and I will add my email address to my profile so anyone is welcome to email me.

Marty, I love the saying about the road. I try to look at each road I travel as a friend, yet, I still have not found my home. Yes, I will, eventually. All is as should be.

Blessings,
Dianne
Elizabeth Ann
Posted 5/31/2007 4:14 AM (#1910 - in reply to #1856)

UMS Student

Hi Soulfire

Have you looked in the Enrolled students section as there are many posts there from other students?
soulfire
Posted 6/1/2007 12:47 PM (#1916 - in reply to #1856)

Alumni

Hello to everyone who responded. Elizabeth Ann - no, I hadn't gove there yet. My time is a little limited online, but I will do so.
Marty - I, too, am interested in how quantum theory proves what metaphysics has been saying all along. I am not, however scientifically minded much at all, so prefer to let others tell me what they think and come to hopefully intelligent conclusions from that.
soulfire
Posted 6/1/2007 1:23 PM (#1919 - in reply to #1910)

Alumni

OK. I must be having a dense moment, here. How would I go about finding an 'enrolled students' section, etc? when I go there from the website I see exams. I must be missing something...
Elizabeth Ann
Posted 6/1/2007 5:51 PM (#1922 - in reply to #1919)

UMS Student

Hi Soulfire, just stay on the forums page and scroll down from this section and underneath you should find the enrolled students section, click on that and the threads will open up. No need to go out of this forum.

Best wishes

Elizabeth
Elizabeth Ann
Posted 6/2/2007 2:06 AM (#1925 - in reply to #1856)

UMS Student

Hi

You may need to ask for access to the student area, look at the message on the main forum page just above this thread.
mruppert
Posted 6/6/2007 9:27 PM (#1991 - in reply to #1856)

Hi Soulfire (and Elizabeth Ann):
May I say that Elizabeth Ann can be a tremendous source of information for you concerning UMS, as she has gone through "the program" and has, indeed, earned her degree. It always helps to have a mentor, but it also is just as valuable to have a fellow student, who has "sweated out the exams" as you will.
Do not be afraid of understanding quanta principles. I had no science background whatsoever. But, by reading much and constant, a bright light came upon me....and now I do grasp very complex proofs of things....this is quite an achievement, since I have to think struggle adding and subtracting. YES, I am serious! I have to get paper and pen to add and subtract things; or else grab the calculator.
Roads that we travel......the road that placed me at this juncture was very different from, perhaps, yours. But we have met at this particular place and time, for a reason. The primary reason is that I shall learn from you as to what direction I go next.
Good luck on your studies; know that you have a friend; and make the most of every opportunity that you have.
With peace,
Marty
P.S. The harlequins, in the novel "The Traveler" used random number generators to make decisions when decisions where in doubt as to what they should do. For example, odd number-go right; even number-go left...the character, Maya, said "the numbers are always correct" I'm thinking "but they are random." Are they?
mruppert
Posted 6/6/2007 10:03 PM (#1993 - in reply to #1856)

Oh, and hello to IVY (Inner Vision):
Geez, I changed your name, Dianne! You made the comment about my comment about roads. A guy named Peck wrote a book that was EXTrEMELY popular called "The Road Less Traveled" which I didn't really like. He then wrote a book about his walk around the coast of England, where he talked about his disabilities in even attempting such a walk. For some reason, I fell in love with that book. He set out to see monoliths of lesser fame than Stonehenge. He did see some. But, what else he saw was himself. Whereas "The Road Less Traveled" was, in my view, pop spirituality, his next book was truly a spiritual experience, at least for him; and for me. He is in poor health, and I am in great health for my age (though I think he is somewhat older than me). I would like to take that same walk, and see if the experience (both spiritual and revelatory) is not shared.
Would it be fair to say, that for some of us, our roads become a thoroughfare....a highway, if you will, towards what we all want?

Warmest wishes to you,
Marty

nadzsalida
Posted 6/12/2007 4:20 PM (#2013 - in reply to #1856)

Hi, My name is Ida. I am came from Hungary. I married now again. I have left only one subject from the bachelor degree level. It is hard for me. The subject is a Creative writing.
I study english. I think I need more time to speak and write English a professional level.
In Hungary I learned so many things, so when I found UMS I was very happy. I though I can learn easier way to English when I choose interest subject.
So here I am now. I joy the school.
=
Tracy Martin
Posted 6/12/2007 4:48 PM (#2014 - in reply to #1856)

Alumni

And Ida, you are a joy to the school as well!
Card Zero
Posted 6/13/2007 12:34 AM (#2015 - in reply to #1856)

Heya, I'm Harli, long-time lurker, first time poster. I'm a chaos magician, which is (sort of) a fancy way of saying I follow a very eclectic spiritual path. I'm not a student of the university, but I'm interested in many spiritual/occult subjects. I'm very into computers, the Internet, dreams and dreaming, all kinds of art, and the various symbols people use to describe and practice their spirituality. Most recently I've been studying alchemy and the I Ching.

See you all on the forum!
Tocho
Posted 6/15/2007 7:41 AM (#2037 - in reply to #2015)

Hi My name is Chrissie but I use Tocho as that is the name of my main spirit guide (bless him) Im a full time mum going through a divorce (again!) mmmmm I think there is a lesson there for me lol
I love to read all metaphysical things, well those that I understand lol
I belive in spirit/angels and am a psychic clairvoyant (bit rusty though) I live in Uk. Nice to meet you all,xxxxxxxxxxx
soulfire
Posted 6/15/2007 12:02 PM (#2039 - in reply to #1856)

Alumni

Hi IDA, Harli, and Chrissie! I am looking forward to getting to know everyone. I get another phone line put in next week, so will be able to check in more often. I live in the country and can only tie up the phone lines so long per day (3 teens also make it hard). So here I am after a week! But glad people are posting so I can become aquainted.
I am in the middle of the bachelors prog. it is hard sometimes b'cuz I would like to spend all my time doing the studies, but am limited. I homeschool, and write for a living and am working on some severe health issues. Everything competes for my time! LOL K
mruppert
Posted 6/15/2007 11:22 PM (#2042 - in reply to #1856)

Hi to:
IDA-are you from Budapest? Or just Buda or just Pest? There are some beautiful churches there, and the Danube River, which I would love to cruise up and down....Romania to Germany...Germany to Romania...stopping everywhere I can....my idea of a great time!
HARLI-you have the name of the Harlequin and the Harlequins...one mythological and the others the protectors of Travelers (fictionally according to John Twelve Hawks). I, too, am interested in alchemy, probably much more so than most, as I am a Rosicrucian and believe in the chemical wedding of Christian Rosenkruez. I look forward to great discussions on this subject!
CHRISTINE....according to Siouxie Sioux (and her backup band the Banshees) you are a "strawberry girl, a banana split lady." Don't ask me, I never understood what the lyrics meant.
Warmest regards and best wishes to you all!!!!!!
Yours,
Marty
mruppert
Posted 6/15/2007 11:49 PM (#2043 - in reply to #1856)

And...SOULFIRE...please go to your inbox.
petscd
Posted 7/22/2007 4:49 PM (#2354 - in reply to #1856)

Student

Hello Soulfire;

Glad to meet you and everyone else as well. I am across the lands here in New York State. Spent some time in California though and enjoyed it. I too have been interested for a long time in various aspects of Metaphysics just did not know there was a term for it. Raised to go to church along with forture telling (card readings), witch craft, and other areas. This has put me right dab in the middle of everything. I have books that I am reading that pertain Metaphysics and am glad there is a way to help put all this in perspective.

I am 52, single, no children, but have an array of animals. My Fiance' takes care of most of my pets while getting his degree in psychology. I have a Masters in Accounting, spent 22 years in the military, work for the state, and am looking forward to many other opportunities. I especially look forward to learning new ideas and ways people precieve them. Oh just in case, I am probably the worst speller out there.
mruppert
Posted 7/22/2007 8:45 PM (#2355 - in reply to #1856)

Hi PETSCD:
     Nice to meet you...I am on your coast, in Maryland. This is a great opportunity to meet people from all over the world, who share an interest in metaphysics, however it might be defined. I have made many friends here;  and some, no matter where they are physically, have become very close and dear to me.
     So, where in New York? And, what animals do you have?
     I only have cats now. But I have had such a vast array of animal friends that it is too long a list to write. Of course, my familiars are cats, but I particularly was fond of my possum-in-the-trash-can, whom I called Spooky.

Welcome, and Peace profound,
Marty
Supernatural3
Posted 7/22/2007 9:18 PM (#2357 - in reply to #1856)

PhD Alumni

Hello

I am from Ohio. I am a mom of 5 children. Two of them are now adults and starting their college journey. YIKES! I am re-married now for two years to a man who supports my spiritual nature.

I found UMS about two years ago and decided to take the classes over a year ago and have been done now for about 8 months. I loved the courses and found that they helped me live in an enlightened path. I couldn't have done it with out UMS.

We all are a huge extended family here, so please don't hesitate to ask anything.

HUGS to ALL

Edited by Supernatural3 7/22/2007 9:22 PM
petscd
Posted 7/25/2007 6:47 PM (#2396 - in reply to #2355)

Student

Hello Marty,

I always liked Maryland. Have friends there. I live in Oswego NY and in Schenectady NY. Too long of an explanation required. I have two dogs, 9 cats, 6 hamspters, 2 guinea pigs, and 2 fish. Would have more if possible.

Anyway, I look forward to having fine discussions in the months to come.
lover
Posted 7/25/2007 7:30 PM (#2397 - in reply to #1856)
Subject: love letter

Greetings!

I am delighted to meet all you fellow lovers out there!

I've been humbled through the journeys of life and am grateful to be reminded on being human. I have always been curious to visit the akashic records to reveal what I have signed up for! With all it's mysteries, beauties, sorrows, blisses, challenges, discoveries, and your majesties; revelling in the multi-dimensional pleasures of this earthly plane, may I eternally be in reverence of all the miracles encompassing me.
I look forward to uniting with you tickling eachother with fascinating ideas and colourful stories to share.

Shooting stars and fantastic rainbows,
Lover of love
mruppert
Posted 7/27/2007 11:37 PM (#2417 - in reply to #1856)

Hello Lover!
     You got me hooked......what is an "akashic record"?
Best Wishes to you,
Marty
mruppert
Posted 7/27/2007 11:40 PM (#2418 - in reply to #1856)

Edited by mruppert 7/27/2007 11:43 PM
lover
Posted 7/28/2007 11:28 PM (#2425 - in reply to #2417)

Hi Marty!

This is a quote from www.themystica.com of what the akashic record is, since they can explain it better than I can.

"A theosophical term referring to an universal filing system which records every occurring thought, word, and action. The records are impressed on a subtle substance called akasha (or Soniferous Ether). In Hindu mysticism this akasha is thought to be the primary principle of nature from which the other four natural principles, fire, air, earth, and water, are created. These five principles also represent the five senses of the human being.

Some indicate the akashic records are similar to a Cosmic or collective consciousness. The records have been referred to by different names including the Cosmic Mind, the Universal Mind, the collective unconscious, or the collective subconscious. Others think the akashic records make clairvoyance and psychic perception possible.

It is believed by some that the events recorded upon that akasha can be ascertained or read in certain states of consciousness. Such states of consciousness can be induced by certain stages of sleep, weakness, illness, drugs, and meditation so not only mystics but ordinary people can and do perceive the akashic records. Some mystics claim to be able to reanimate their contents like they were turning on a celestial television set. Yogis also believe that these records can be perceived in certain psychic states.

Certain persons in subconscious states do read the akashic records. An explanation for this phenomena is that the akashic records are the macrocosm of the individual subconscious mind. Both function similarly, they possess thoughts which are never forgotten. The collective subconscious gathers all thoughts from each subconscious mind which can be read by other subconscious minds.

An example of one who many claimed successfully read the akashic records is the late American mystic Edgar Cayce. Cayce did his readings in a sleep state or trance. Cayce's method was described by Dr. Wesley H. Ketchum who for several years used Cayce as an adjunct for his medical practice. "Cayce's subconscious...is in direct communication with all other subconscious minds, and is capable of interpreting through his objective mind and imparting impressions received to other objective minds, gathering in this way all knowledge possessed by endless millions of other subconscious minds." Apparently Cayce was interpreting the collective subconscious mind long before the psychiatrist C.J. Jung postulated his concept of the collective unconscious. A.G.H."

Hope that helps! Maybe one day you will get to see it! Very exciting! There's a beautiful movie out that talks about the akashic records and it's called "Illusion". I've yet to see it, but the preveiw was quite powerful. Blessings!!

Twinkling diamond stars,
Lover
mruppert
Posted 7/29/2007 9:32 PM (#2429 - in reply to #1856)

Hi Lover:
     Coincidence yet again.....!!!!!!!!!!!
     Firstly, I hope that you might open a forum on what you just wrote.
     Secondly, and coincidentally, on the floor next to my desk is a book that my research associate and I were examining. It is "Venture Inward" by Hugh Lynn Cayce, the son of Edgar Cayce; published circa 1964. We want to examine it further, as it is well documented, with many footnotes. I am familiar with Edgar Cayce, as are, second hand, some older folk who live in Virginia Beach.  I am in Maryland, not too far away.
     I believe there is much to be learned from both Edgar's and Hugh's work, but I believe Hugh's book is far more valuable, as it has given time the opportunity to test the validity of Edgar's visions. And, time to increase the knowledge that may well substantiate his vision.
    You may well have pointed us in the direction of answers to  questions that we have....by your introduction.
     For this, I am grateful, and so pleased to meet you! I wish that you find what you seek.
Thank You,
Marty

lover
Posted 7/30/2007 1:05 AM (#2432 - in reply to #1856)

Dearest Marty,

I am so glad to be of assistance to helping you. There is no such thing as a coincidence and your query into the universe has brought you an answer. You must be on the right track and it must be synchronicity!! What a beautiful thing.
May I ask what you are researching?
It's a delightful pleasure to meet you as well, and I look forward to future encounters.
May all your dreams be realized!

Sublime sunsets,
lover
mruppert
Posted 7/30/2007 10:48 PM (#2443 - in reply to #1856)

Hi Lover:
     This is a quick, down and dirty reply, we (several of those that I am involved with) sought to explain the "mechanism" of energetic healing, producing a book much the same as the fictional book "The Philosophy of Time Travel" (if you have seen a movie called 'Donnie Darko', or something like that). Two of us found that we shared beliefs in common about many things....for example, ghosts, astrology, string theory, quantum mechanics, holographic universe theory, numerology, evolution, nanotechnology, religious experience, God, evil, psychology, the nature of dreams, reincarnation.....on and on.....and discovered how all of these are so related, that it is uncanny though quite probable.
     We completely lost sight of what we had originally intended to do, and now explore so many things, that I doubt we will finish in a lifetime what we had first set out to do.
     I will tell you this, and it is at the risk of perhaps much criticism from others (if they read this) ... on our original topic, by the evidence we have gathered, healing is a gift that is found only among a certain, extremely small percentage of people. I am tipping the scales in favor of saying that it is "genetic" i.e. "inherited" i.e "predestined" while my research partner still says that it can be learned. Yet, my research  partner is my prima facie evidence that I am on the right track.....as she can heal without the multitude of courses she has taken. She seeks to perfect her "bedside manner;" but her talent is there, has always been there, and has been in her family of mankind for generations.
Think of all the impossibilites of, say, a hundred years ago. They are now very real!
That which is impossible, is very possible, and most probable.
Very Best Wishes to You,
Marty
P.S. Read and study as long and as hard as you can....you will be rewarded! I wish I had set off on this path many years ago, as time becomes ever increasingly meaningful to me...though the journey to enlightenment and knowledge never ends!!!!

soulfire
Posted 8/1/2007 1:20 PM (#2456 - in reply to #2443)

Alumni

Marty - see PM for a healing sotry. ~SF
mruppert
Posted 8/3/2007 12:34 AM (#2462 - in reply to #1856)

Hi SoulFire and all:
     The things that have happened to me are quite unusual, uncanny and miraculous. This is the forum where we get to know each other. Without this means of introduction, I would have not  made so many friends and soulmates.
     If you are in the background, and are afraid to speak, cast your fears aside and say hello, just as I did. If you think you want to go to UMS or to UCLA, MIT,  or wherever, just take a moment; a movement in time, to say what you want to do.
     Talking to people who may well feel the same as you do is free here..the best bargain in town....why not take advantage of it????
Best Wishes to you all,
Marty
lover
Posted 8/24/2007 5:49 PM (#2540 - in reply to #1856)

Marty,

You are so delightful and always so full of love. Thank you for being you.

Bless you,
Lover
Dee Young
Posted 8/26/2007 1:36 AM (#2543 - in reply to #1856)

After months of visiting the forums, I am finally an official student.

My background is in pr/publicity/events in the entertainment business. I now wish to use my experience and my longtime interest in spirituality and metaphysics to inspire people on their personal journeys (producing live events, programs, etc.) I also have a strong interest in sound and vibrational healing, as well as sacred music.

Lover, where do you live? I am from Surrey/White Rock area and have a friend from White Rock who is a Tarot reader and an event planner also about to join. Perhaps we could do the odd study group together. I tried to send you a personal message but it kept sitting in the outbox. I hope you see this.

Cheers,

D

Edited by Dee Young 8/26/2007 1:38 AM
lover
Posted 8/29/2007 11:14 PM (#2553 - in reply to #2543)

Hi D,

Welcome to UMS! Sounds like we're going to hit it right off. I'm heading in the direction of where you're coming from . (pr-public relations) I feel that I finally have to go public soon. Once I go...there's no turning back.
If you ever come out to Vancouver, please let me know and we can meet up. Enjoy your studies!

Happy, blissful peace,
Lover
mruppert
Posted 9/22/2007 3:12 AM (#2615 - in reply to #1856)

This forum doesn't work unless you are willing to say hi! There are new names but no posts. C'mon....say hello!!!!
Peace and Love,
Marty