Study Tips
soulfire
Posted 4/30/2007 12:28 PM (#1792)
Subject: Study Tips

Alumni

Hello. I am a new student here and looking for study tips. It has been many years since I've been in any kind of school and I need to get back into the mode of studying/learning.
It embarrasses me that I feel so clueless, since I am educating my 3 children at home (oldest finished High school last year) and they seem to have no trouble. I even asked them how they study.

I am having no trouble understanding the material so far. My main concern is retention. I'm just afraid the info will go in one eye and out the other, so to speak. ~SF
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Supernatural3
Posted 5/1/2007 8:51 AM (#1797 - in reply to #1792)
Subject: RE: Study Tips

PhD Alumni

I am not a book smart person at all, i am purely street smart, so my way of normally learning was always visual or audio, which made it tough to get through all the courses here with so much reading. The one good thing is, they are all written well and do not talk to you like you are a NASA professor....lol so you are fine.

What i did was like open book testing, which helped me learn what i needed to. I went through the questions of the test and searched for the answers after i read it. (basically treated test at the end like a review) When i found what i was looking for, then i knew it by the time i was to take the test. I guess it's memorizing the test. Good teachers out there will let the students learn the KEY points on a review. Even my teachers in Electrical Engineering school passed out basically the same test, for us to study first, because the questions on it, were the most important things we needed to know. So it worked well. It's not about being able to read and memorize the entire thing... (or i would have failed)

I did learn a lot from all the audio sessions (Meditations) too.... a bonus.

I am sure you will do fine, don't let it overwhelm you!
HUGS

soulfire
Posted 5/1/2007 11:38 AM (#1803 - in reply to #1797)

Alumni

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. If you don't mind my asking, approximately how long, on average, do you think it took you to complete one average sized course? I am also concerned about going too fast, as is my tendency with a lot of things... ~SF
Supernatural3
Posted 5/1/2007 3:53 PM (#1804 - in reply to #1803)

PhD Alumni

Well, I didn't start from scratch, i started already having complete metaphysical training from a different school. I just wanted to have schooling from a school that was reputable, so i re-took everything and feel it was very much worth it. I am currently in school once again too (for hypnotherapy). This time its my last time. LOL

Some courses i was able to skim over and just take the test, because i was already very familiar with the subject, so i had that one done in one day.
Then there were others that took me a week or more, depending on the meditations sessions.

I would say, for me i did about two sessions a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I completed in about 13 months. But i was already trained in the field. For someone not familiar with metaphysics at all, may take a little more time. However, like i said, the courses are very well written and easily understood. Which is what i needed.

Just take your time and enjoy them... they WILL bring you enlightenment.
HUGS

Edited by Supernatural3 5/1/2007 3:54 PM
soulfire
Posted 5/3/2007 11:08 AM (#1817 - in reply to #1792)

Alumni

Thank you! I guess I won't worry about it. I haven't had official training in Metaphysics but have been studying aspects of it for a few years. I am particularly interested in energy therapies and working with children. I'm so excited about the course.

I was having trouble replying here yesterday - glad it's working today. ~SF
Elizabeth Ann
Posted 5/17/2007 5:59 PM (#1853 - in reply to #1817)

UMS Student

Hi Soulfire

I would like to say that there is no way that anyone can memorise all the material but I found it helped to study the questions first and then keep these to one side as I worked through the material for each course. I do have to say that in most cases it is well worth reading every word of each course and also to read right through thoroughly after you have answered the questions as this will help you to really get a feel of what is being said. If you went back again a while after you would retain even more but as your questions come with the course materials memorising is not required. When you are searching for answers you could actually miss some very interesting stuff. It can also be most helpful to highlight anything that resonates or strikes a strong chord in you. This way you can come back later and pick out these gems.

As you have been studying for some time already you will find this helps you tremendously. Personally I found that if I waited until I felt very ready to study I worked through everything much more easily. If you have an off day and you cannot focus you probably wont do too well and may make silly mistakes. I also found it good to get everything ready and to plan my study of the courses and then go for it. Some days a short course may be right and another day one with meditations is very appealing. A couple of the courses were very hard going for me as I was not too interested in the content but so many of the others were absolutely brilliant.

Hope that helps

Roxmarita
Posted 5/19/2007 9:07 PM (#1855 - in reply to #1792)

I have just started UMS too though I am also enrolled in a secular college and have been for 2 1/2 years. The testing method used here is completely different from what I am used to but what I find helps me is going through the test first, if you have previous knowledge go ahead and answer what you can and keep the test with you while you read the material to find the answers or to check the ones you have already answered. Upon finishing the reading material, I print out the test again and take it without the material or my previous test to see how much I have retained, then I check it against the first test to see what is correct, what is incorrect. Then focus on the ones that you got wrong so when you take the test you will have everything.

Good luck!

Amy