Occult Societies
mruppert
Posted 4/29/2007 2:49 AM (#1784)
Subject: Occult Societies

Hello all:
How much I have changed and grown by being a part of this website is incomprehensible! What a wealth of knowledge!
I am now interested in hearing from anyone who has knowledge of "occult" organizations; though I am particularly interested in Victorian England, and pre-war Germany; I am curious as to others that exist beyond, say, the Forteans, who publish a pretty nice magazine.
Oh yes, I know, "you can look on the Internet" but that is not what I am looking for. I would like your "folk" knowledge.

Yours,
Marty
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Supernatural3
Posted 4/29/2007 11:51 AM (#1785 - in reply to #1784)
Subject: RE: Occult Societies

PhD Alumni

I think that "Occult Societies" were anything that were organized a little different than the normal society. If they didn't believe in the traditional Christian ways, they were then considered "The Occult". Many were severely punished too.

The good thing now is that Occults do exist now, and are not labeled for no reason, these type of groups make themselves known that they exist, but most the time don't reveal their identities (It's a power trip). I wouldn't particularly call a coven an occult, but i know that many religions do.

Basically to narrow down what it is: A religious group, that perhaps goes against the grain. That is it. Anyone who thinks Occults are evil, or dark or wrongful, just doesn't understand what the people gain out of it.

Anyway, that is my input on them.

BTW, I am not for any group that destroys things, or spray paints all over walls. I consider these a group of kids, who are getting their kicks and giggles but haven't done any real homework, but based their group on a false paradigm, like a movie, etc.

Edited by Supernatural3 4/29/2007 11:54 AM
mruppert
Posted 5/16/2007 8:47 PM (#1849 - in reply to #1784)
Subject: RE: Occult Societies

Thanks Doc J!
I am interested in more modern manifestations of things like the "Golden Dawn" of Victorian England, or the Taipings of Imperial China. One represented a precursive aide to the establishment of a totalitarian government (not in England, but in Germany) , and the other a threat to an established monarchy.
To bring it up to date.....why does the Chinese government so brutally suppress the Falun Gong?
What is SO DANGEROUS about their beliefs, which seem pretty benign and somewhat beneficial to humankind? I think I am going to start a thread on the Falun Gong.....I really want to know why they are perceived as such a threat!

Regards,
Marty