Meditation materials / tools
Frank in Japan
Posted 3/29/2007 9:56 AM (#1586)
Subject: Meditation materials / tools

student

Hello! I'm new to the forums, and have just started my studies with UMS.

I have practiced meditation for many years in a variety of forms and would like to know what other people have used to assist meditation.

Although it seems most natural to me to not use anything at all (just silence and focused breathing), I have found the use of different physical materials interesting. For example:

*Music
*Candles
*Lighting
*Essential oils
*Crystals (particularly quartz)
*Meteorites
*Meditation beads
*Being in a spiritually oriented building eg: Church or Temple etc.
*Comfortable clothing

Although some of these are kind of obvious, some others go beyond aesthetics to help stimulate metaphysical energy in different ways and intensities.

Any other ideas or experiences?

I became intersted in the use of materials / tools for meditation after experiencing different types of meditative levels and intensities of awareness by using them, and would love to know more...

Frank
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tracy
Posted 3/29/2007 2:47 PM (#1588 - in reply to #1586)
Subject: RE: Meditation materials / tools

Student

Hi Frank! Welcome! Students at UMS have reported using many different instruments to enhance meditation, soul work, healing work, and lightwork. The most popular tools are crystals: clear quartz crystal and amethyst. I have a mantra or focus on breathing without any accoutrements but I will experiment with other methods. Since becoming a student at UMS I enjoy using Christine Breese's meditations as well. There have been many stellar events, new moon, full moon, eclipse, the appearance of Chiron, etc. where I have meditated and found the experience of vast awareness and all-encompassing love to be greatly enhanced. This will be a interesting topic as people have unusual expereinces and revelations using different tools.
Tracy
Tamara
Posted 3/29/2007 4:26 PM (#1591 - in reply to #1586)

Hi! I am pretty new to UMS, and have always had trouble with the focusing part of meditating. To top it off, I have a form of narcolepsy (sleep disorder) that basically is just constant sleepiness, so I tend to fall asleep within the first 5-10 minutes of most every meditation (even though I take medications to help me stay awake). I have to keep trying with some of these, especially the 30 minute ones!!! One, I tried three times and couldn't stay awake through the whole thing, so I tried listening to it while I was awake and moving around so I could get the concept. I have toyed with the idea of meditating while walking, so I can keep awake and have something to do while exercising. Anyone have any opinions on that?

I have definitely felt a change though, through my persistence and with the different meditations. I do keep trying, and am trying to be creative in my approach since it is a challenge for me. LOL

I love the idea of the tools. Basically, so far my tools have just been my big comfy chair and a pair of earphones. I do use a lot of scented candles and incense on a regular basis, so I will have to start thinking about what could help enhance the meditations. I can make my own aromatherapy blends too, and have had some wonderful success with that in the past, as far as designing a blend for a specific use, especially in ritual.

-Tamara

Supernatural3
Posted 3/29/2007 4:33 PM (#1593 - in reply to #1586)

PhD Alumni

personally, i like to meditate while semi-active. Sounds bizarre, but i like music and perhaps walking outside in nature. I clear my head and get some of my best ideas. I am not a good one to try to sit and meditate, i will fall asleep. LOL I do love music, and good smells, candles and even laying in the sun in the pool is one of my favorites.

Meditation is used to slow the brain waves down to low alpha, but this can be achieved by many numerous ways. My own problem is dropping suddenly to Delta, and it's snooooze time. LOL
Tamara
Posted 3/29/2007 5:08 PM (#1596 - in reply to #1593)

Yup, I am all about the Delta thing. I have been experimenting with Dr. Jeffrey Thompson's psychoacoustics music lately, to see if it can help. I listen to alpha-wave stimulating music while studying, and I think it is helping me stay a bit more focused.

I thought that perhaps knitting while listening to a meditation might help me stay awake. I can really zone out while knitting, so that might help with the wakefulness so I can get through a meditation. And, I'll have plenty of new lovely shawls and such to boot. LOL!

-Tamara
Elizabeth Ann
Posted 3/30/2007 7:52 PM (#1604 - in reply to #1596)

UMS Student

I find that it can be very helpful to meditate with a friend or friends as this can enhance everybody’s experience with the combined energies. I suppose it depends what your intentions are. If you wish to ask questions or go on a journey then extra energies will help all. If you wish to wind down and clear away thoughts to re-balance yourself then meditating with people you know will also help.

If you would rather meditate on your own then practice is what you need to do. I’ve got myself through some terrible times by meditating quietly alone, no tools just silence. It can also be great to use suitable music to help.

I often advise people who say that they cannot meditate to start by listening to any music that they like. I see that by allowing the music to take over it will help you to switch from everyday thoughts.

I very much like the guided meditations that we receive from the UMS, I just flow with them, wonderful.

I also have been helped greatly by Buddhist meditations that aim to get you to the ‘nothingness’, it can be amazing just how this can help you sort any troubles that you may have. It is like clearing away the dross so that the Universe can help, often the Universe knocks so quietly that you are unable to hear otherwise.

The practice of Hatha yoga can also enable a person to experience deep meditation.

For a while I practiced silent meditation for an hour at a time to help build up healing energy at a local spiritual church, long since closed.

Gardening also does it for me, being outside in the elements working with the soil and plants takes me right away from the everyday brain chatter.

I always meditate on each full moon, in England the next one is Monday 2nd April at 5.15pm. If I have questions I will ask them as the full moon is such a powerful time. If I have no questions I just meditate and see what comes.

Hope some of that may help.
Elizabeth Ann
Posted 3/30/2007 7:55 PM (#1605 - in reply to #1591)

UMS Student

Hi Tamara

Tibetan monks do a night time walking meditation in all weather in the mountains, so walking would be good.
Frank in Japan
Posted 4/22/2007 5:24 AM (#1743 - in reply to #1586)

student

Hi there!

Thank you for all your replies and new ideas!

I'm very lucky to have a Buddhist temple just down the street. After talking with the monk, I have permission to use the temple space for quiet meditation. Getting out of the house/office for meditation will be nice. The temple is always using incense and is made of all natural materials in a garden sanctuary. The internal temple decorations are very colorful and beautiful too.

Frank

Edited by Frank in Japan 4/22/2007 5:27 AM