Isabel Allende
Carmen
Posted 11/28/2006 3:52 PM (#1207)
Subject: Isabel Allende

"The spiritual world is a place where there is no good and evil. It's not a world of black and white as the real world seems to be. There are no rigid rules of any kind. In that sense it is totally different from the infinite plan - which is a joke - proposed by the preacher in my novel 'The Infinite Plan'. In the spiritual world there is only intention, there is just being. And there is no sense of right or wrong. Everything just is in a sort of very steady and still way. And because things are so ambiguous in that sense, so delicate and so unfocused, it's a safe place. You don't have to decide anything. Things just are, and you somehow float or - I don't know how to express this - you are just there. In a very, very delicate form. For me, it's a very safe place. That's the place where the stories come from. That's the place of love.

This sounds very corny: my life has been determined by two things that have been extremely important: love and violence. There is sorrow, pain and death, but there's another parallel dimension, and that is love. There are many forms of love, but the kind I am talking about is unconditional. For instance, the way we love a tree. We don't expect the tree to move or to do anything or to be beautiful. The tree is just a tree, and we love the tree because it's a tree. You love an animal that way. We love children that way. As relationships become more complicated, you start demanding more. You want something in exchange for your love. You have expectations and desires and you want to be loved as much as you love.

In this spiritual world, which is a world of love, there are no conditions. Like the way I love my grandchildren. I think they are perfect. It doesn't matter whether they grow or stay the way they are because I can see them as the infants they were when they were just born, the persons they will be when they are adolescents, or adults. The soul has no age. Maybe that's what I wanted to say. When we love something deeply and completely, we love the essence."

- Isabel Allende

I really do like Isabel. She seems like such a safe and strong person. Her books and words are filled with wisdom. The book 'The House of Spirits' is one of my favorites. I strongly recommend it!

.. I just really wanted to show you her words.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
laurelsherer
Posted 12/20/2006 2:04 PM (#1265 - in reply to #1207)
Subject: RE: Isabel Allende

Carmen,

Thank you for sharing Isabel Allende's beautiful words. I find her writing to be so meaningful and poetic, and I have not yet read 'The House Of Spirits', so thank you for that recommendation!

Blessings,
Laurel
Top of the page Bottom of the page