Da Vinci Code Symbol.
metanovaman
Posted 6/24/2006 1:23 AM (#610)
Subject: Da Vinci Code Symbol.

UMS Student

My Wife Karen and I saw the movie, "The Da Vinci Code" today. We enjoyed it... There was a symbol I saw in the early part of the movie that I found interesting and wanted more information and insight into it. Any information would be greatly appreciated. It was a cross, with more than one cross bar and it sat upon a figure eight on it's side (the symbol for infinity, or eternity). I tried looking for it and it's symbolic meaning online, but as of yet have not been able to find anything...

Be blessed,

Roger "Doc".

Edited by metanovaman 6/24/2006 1:24 AM

Top of the page Bottom of the page
metanovaman
Posted 6/24/2006 3:01 PM (#611 - in reply to #610)
Subject: RE: Da Vinci Code Symbol.

UMS Student

I found the answer and symbol in question... Here is what I was able to find out from a friend:

symbol for the alchemical element Sulfur, which is analogous to the human soul. Alchemically, sulfur has the qualities of masculine, hot and dry- combined with Mercury (feminine, cool and moist), the pair were considered the parents of all metals.
Alchemical drawings often portray Sulfur as the sun. (In some views, sulfur and salt are the parents of Mercury) The symbol of sulfur is often used as an identifying symbol by many Satanists. This glyph is often referred to incorrectly as the "pontifical cross of Satan" by tract writers, due to its adoption as an emblem of Satanism by Anton LeVey.

Be blessed,

Roger "Doc".

Dancing Daisy
Posted 6/24/2006 9:30 PM (#612 - in reply to #610)

UMS Student

The Davinci Code movie was all I had hoped it would be! I like a movie that shakes up everyone's religious comfort zone a little! After all, Mary Magdalene was totally underrated and not given her proper place in the religious order of things, she was the one Jesus had hoped would carry on the message, but hey, ladies have had to come a long way since then in a patriarcal society, and even now Mary Magdalene would have to really struggle to carry out being head of the church. Back then, it was an impossible job. I sure do wish her gospels had been better preserved and included in the Bible, would have been nice to have a chick's point of view mixed in there a little, it's all guy POV (point of view), nothin against you guys tho! Love you too! But a chick should have had a little say in the matter, eh? I like the fact that the DaVinci Code is pointing out Mary's true relationship to Jesus in the mainstream media, better late than never, I suppose.
metanovaman
Posted 6/24/2006 10:54 PM (#613 - in reply to #610)

UMS Student

After I saw the movie, I went and bought the book, "Holy Blood, Holy Grail". So far it a fantastic and interesting read. I know that Llewellyn Publishing recently came out with a book on "The Gospel of Mary Magdeline". You might want to check it out. And as they said in the movie, I don't believe that she was a prostitute either, I believe it was a smear campaign mounted by the Roman Church to discredit her and smear her character. JMHO...

Be blessed,

Roger "Doc".

Rose
Posted 3/19/2008 12:03 PM (#3874 - in reply to #611)

Student

This is great information you found on your research. I wonder why it is that when people refer to satan or demons they also refer to the smell of sulfur. The history you qouted here states that sulfur belongs to the human soul.

What sort of historical tract did this symbol take to become narrowed into being a demonic symbol?
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/28/2008 8:34 AM (#4793 - in reply to #612)

PhD Alumni

Picked up on this post late in the day. Just wanted to mention, in case you didn't have it, if you look at 'The Gnostic Gospels', you can find the Gospel of Mary, although as you say, she was most unfortunately air-brushed out by the early Church 'fathers'. Also, Catilin Mathews, 'Sophia - the Goddess of Wisdom'.

UMS do an elective on this topic.

Mary was, after all, the first to see Jesus after resurrection. Or resuscitation - check out also, 'Jesus Lived in India', by Holger Kersten, and 'The Search for the Historical Jesus' , by Prof Frida Hassnan (think i have that last name right) - though if you cannot find them and are interested, I could offer the gist.

Personally though, I think the da Vinci Code as a book & film was unoriginal, exploitative of spirituality, and misleading.
Louise
Posted 4/29/2008 3:49 AM (#4854 - in reply to #610)

UMS Student

This is a fascinating discussion..Paul - I am intrigued by your comments about being exploiting and misleading. Can you expand? (I have no opinions or agenda on this, just interested!)
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/29/2008 4:12 AM (#4856 - in reply to #4854)

PhD Alumni

Ho hum, I wondered if I should have said that after posting it; broke one of my own rules about trying to affirm the positive rather than be negative; also, the post was old, so perhaps I should have let sleeping dogs lie, and I did not want to cause offence, etc etc. But I have felt that way a long tkime, since the book came out and all that's happened since has just confirmed my thinking.

Unoriginal because it derives from the Holy Blood, etc (and the other Jesus materail I mentioned), but without propoerly acknowledging that - hence the court case; misleading because folk who do not know the background have seemd to have taken some or all of it for fact; exploitatve because it takes, for me, a very sensitive & real field of spiritual enquiry, and turns it into mass, very profitable entertainment.

That all said I must also confess two personal prejudices I guess. (and you are welcome to be entertained by this!) One is that in 1982 I wrote and unpublishable novel called 'The Fifth Gospel', a thriller about the discovery of a fifth Gospel, written by Judas Iscariot (this was before I knew of its real existence - a fascinating document, but that is another story) - it still lingers in my loft, have been hawked along with my other stuff; so I am jealous of his success - and second, The Temple Church in London used to be one of my favourite sanctuaries of quiet - and was always open to the public; since the inundation of visitors looking for a da Vinci code site, it has had to be closed, open by appointment only.

Hope that clarifies my terse comments !
Blessings to you and Dan Brown
Paul
Rose
Posted 5/1/2008 2:20 PM (#4917 - in reply to #610)

Student

Paul, I hate that Churches close their doors so frequently now during the day hours. There's been theivery in some city churches and I understand why churches would choose to close their doors. But also there's been a lack of funds for some and they simply can't afford to keep the doors open. It doesn't seem to be all that long ago I remember Churches seemed to always be open and available.

It's probably a legal and insurance issue as well. Too much litigation, we do need Tort Reforms.

Love and Peace.............
Paul Joseph
Posted 5/1/2008 2:38 PM (#4918 - in reply to #610)

PhD Alumni

Dear Rose

How always good it is to hear from you; so ready with sound & grounded sense. Thanx.

My social work organisation is based in a church, and we have to keep our doors closed because, just off Oxford Street in central London, there are those issues you mentioned.

The Temple Church meanwhile, whenever I visited it, over 25 years before Da Vinci Code, was always open, not least because it was hard to find, unless you stumbled across it by happy accident - as I did, long ago, lifetimes ago.

And your visit to St Francis' place of hospitality sounds wonderful. The threads often don;t cross over I notice, so I wonder if you picked up that one of my oldest, now deceased friends, was an Anglican Franscican monk.

Love & blessings

Paul